Swimming?

Options
katatak1
katatak1 Posts: 261 Member
Hey guys,

I was wondering if it's just me. I feel like I get relief when I swim. I figure it's the chlorine. Kills the bacteria. I know we're "technically" not allowed in pools (no open wounds or sores), but it's not contagious, so I'm less concerned with it than I probably should be. So... what is your pool-going behavior? Does it help? Do any of you own your own pool?

Replies

• Superstar_81
    Superstar_81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Hey :)

I do go to the pool to be honest, usually tho just when its swelling as I also think the chlorine helps, then usually have a really hot sdalty bath and it bursts. I dont tend to go when its more like an open wound as I'd be afraid someone would see it (under arms obviously...I try not to flash haha) and shout at me to get out lol!

Oh and I wish I had my own pool....how awesome would that be?? :-) xx
  • katatak1
    Options
    I've been thinking that maybe it would be good for the HS to swim daily. And for that, a personal pool would definitely be the ideal. Too bad I live in an apartment! When I settle somewhere though, I want to get an endless pool (http://www.endlesspools.com). Or something similar. Basically a really small pool with moving water so you are constantly swimming against the current. It's small (so maint. costs would hopefully be lower), and ideally I would be able to use it year round. Because like you, I don't want to have one visible and gross people out.

I've never tried a salty bath though, do you use Epsom salt, or something else?
  • Superstar_81
    Superstar_81 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I think swimming daily would definately be a good thing for the HS, certainly wont do any harm! :-) The endless pool looks amazing...I want one!

Re salty baths, I just run a normal bath as hot as I can stand it and just add loads of normal table salt. I think it helps to cleanse the area and usually coaxes it into draining quicker! My mum is a nurse and she tells me to do this (or hold a very hot cloth onto the affected area) as it helps to draw it out or something, definately not a guarantee, but when i'm at the super painful stage, it usually works for me :-) x
  • bayoubay21
    Options
    I'm a member on dailystrengh.com I've heard people say that. I could go to my aunts the road from me. I just don't want anyone to see my bumps. We also agreed going to the beach and the in ocean helps. I find that dries my skin up for a week.
  • sjane097
    sjane097 Posts: 2
    Options
    I just got back from Jamaica and spent 5 days in the ocean. This definitely helped. Clearly the "cure" is to move to the beach. :P
  • katatak1
    Options
    Lol @ the cure! So, we all need to high tail it to the beach! I guess that salt and chlorine do some of the same beneficial things then. As far as worrying about how the bumps look... eh, once you're in the water I seriously doubt anyone will look at them. They're too busy having fun :)
  • annabelle1113
    annabelle1113 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do go swimming, and yes it relieves the pain some. I think this could be for a few reasons. First of all, the pool in my neighborhood is salt water...I've been told to take epsom salt baths with hibiclens in it often so the salt water relief makes sense. Second, I think there is lack of friction in the water, which makes a huge difference!
  • katatak1
    Options
    Hmmm, good point! I didn't even think about the friction part. Hell, I wasn't even thinking about salt water at first. I was just focused on the chlorine. Either way, it sounds like a daily swim would be good for us!
  • annabelle1113
    annabelle1113 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You know, I should go swimming more often. As often as I take baths, during the summer I should do that instead!
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Doing YMCA water workouts doesn't necessarily help with the pain per say and I skip class if it open and draining but being in the chlorinated water frequently does seem to lessen the frequency in which I get them