Breathing Help

Options
kgprice11
kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
I always hated long distance running when I was an athlete because I thought it was pointless, but now I want to get in good shape and run a 10k come October however I am in need of help on breathing techniques while running. I breath through my nose and out my mouth which is the proper way however I get short of breath sometimes and can not maintain a steady breathing routine throughout my runs!! Advice is appreciated~~ Thanks

Replies

• TheChosenOne_
    Options
    The whole "breath through your nose and out your mouth" doesn't really help. I breath through and out my mouth and yet I run a 5:40 mile. If you want to run a 10k, then just breath normally like how you always do when you run. If you're running low on breath, that might mean you're pushing your self too much. Its means your sprinting instead of running. Hope this helped. Mail me if u have any other questions dude.
  • kgprice11
    Options
    The whole "breath through your nose and out your mouth" doesn't really help. I breath through and out my mouth and yet I run a 5:40 mile. If you want to run a 10k, then just breath normally like how you always do when you run. If you're running low on breath, that might mean you're pushing your self too much. Its means your sprinting instead of running. Hope this helped. Mail me if u have any other questions dude.

If I breath through my mouth and out my mouth it tends to dry out the inside of my mouth in the process and I was always accustomed to breathing in my nose and out my mouth.
  • amtru2015
    amtru2015 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    First off, do you listen to music when you run? My husband got me to quit that and it has helped tremendously.
    I dont pay attention to whether im breathing through my nose or mouth...doesnt really make a difference for me...ive tried it. I breath on a rhythm; i really had to concentrate at first but now its become habit. Count with your foot falls, i usually exhale every third step...so next time you run try kind of chanting in your mind "1,2, out" This is what helped me. If i get out of breath i slow down (keep running) and re-focus on my breathing; once i catch my breath i pick it back up. Hope it helps you as much as it helped me
  • kgprice11
    Options
    First off, do you listen to music when you run? My husband got me to quit that and it has helped tremendously.
    I dont pay attention to whether im breathing through my nose or mouth...doesnt really make a difference for me...ive tried it. I breath on a rhythm; i really had to concentrate at first but now its become habit. Count with your foot falls, i usually exhale every third step...so next time you run try kind of chanting in your mind "1,2, out" This is what helped me. If i get out of breath i slow down (keep running) and re-focus on my breathing; once i catch my breath i pick it back up. Hope it helps you as much as it helped me

Thank you and yes I listen to music when I run. I heard from many avid runners that are my friends say it distracts them from keeping a nice rhythm
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Don't put so much thought into it. Your body will do what it needs to do to get the oxygen that it needs. Just run and breathe. If breathing gets too difficult, then you are going to fast. Slow down.

I, too, advocate ditching the headphones. Get in touch with your body when you run. It makes a big difference.
  • kgprice11
    Options
    Don't put so much thought into it. Your body will do what it needs to do to get the oxygen that it needs. Just run and breathe. If breathing gets too difficult, then you are going to fast. Slow down.

I, too, advocate ditching the headphones. Get in touch with your body when you run. It makes a big difference.

Thanks everyone for the advice that is what I think i will do
  • secondchance82
    Options
    Mouth, never through my nose, but you also may want to keep an eye on exercise induced asthma if you are having trouble with breathing. :)
  • Mceastes
    Mceastes Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I always breathe through my mouth. Running requires an extremely high amount of oxygen compared to walking so this is just your body's way of getting it quickly. I also agree with others that if you just can't catch your breath you need to slow down, but if you're just breathing so hard you have to breathe through your mouth, that's normal. I listen to music when I run, but I did go through a phase where I didn't just so I could concentrate more on what I was doing and it did help a lot. Sometimes in a longer race when I get towards the last few miles I'll turn off the music so I can focus on my form as I get tired. When I need to concentrate, the music has to go. So much of what I've figured out is just trial and error and seeing what works for me. Good luck!
  • hewhoiscd
    hewhoiscd Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I breathe through my nose & mouth at the same time. Mostly mouth, but if extra air wants to come in through my nose too, I'm more than happy to let it :D The more air the better. I forget the source of the quote I saw, but to paraphrase, "I'd breathe in through my ears if I could" pretty much sums it up for me ;)

Also, you might want to look into breathing exercises that show how to properly take a deep breathe. I was taught many years ago while playing my flute/sax how to do it, and it helps a great deal while running as well. Eventually, it becomes second nature.

I do a breathing cadence while running. My easy & long runs are usually 4 steps per inhale and 4 steps per exhale, notated as 4/4. Your exact numbers may be different...could be 5/4 or 4/3 or 3/3 or whatever works best for you at the pace you are running at. My long/easy runs are basically a meditation session for me.
  • AuntNynah
    AuntNynah Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have also read recently about ditching the breathe through your nose, exhale through your mouth technique. You want to get as much oxygen as you can in each breath, and that makes it doubly hard to do so. Also focus on using your diaphragm while breathing so that you are not breathing too shallow and also to aid in getting a good amount of oxygen. Other than that, the cadence and such, I think it's pretty much personal to each runner. Good luck!
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    just breathe any way you can get air into your lungs is a good thing. The technique is a old school way of thinking.