Going Without Wednesday.....Challenge

Options
garlic7girl
garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
Eat something fresh today! I don't care what it is but we in the USA tend to eat a lot of 'out the box' or 'out of a package' foods...why not eat something fresh?! Even an apple is fresh vs apple sauce...still time in the day....make your own salad...cook dinner make your snack or dessert today fresh...

I read yesterday that canned foods have just as much nutritional value as fresh foods...hmmm I am not sure about that one...frozen I can see but canned? Tell me your thoughts...discussion is good!

Peace,
WW

Replies

• Wendy595
    Wendy595 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I've always been taught frozen or fresh and that canned had to much sodium. Since I have to watch my sodium levels we steam or eat raw as many veggies as possible. That is one thing I've been doing is trying to eat out of the box less. Sometimes it stills happens. With two kids in little league, I have a hard time on game nights eating right. But on those nights I know I have to eat less!
  • cclara
    cclara Posts: 5
    Options
    I try to use fresh or frozen, not because of nutritional values but because canned stuff has preservatives and the linings leach chemicals into the food. I aim (not always successfully!) to pick the choice with the fewest ingredients, and without additives etc.
  • Coliepie717
    Options
    I had a nectarine this morning (which I hadnt had in a while)
  • MalloryCurrent
    MalloryCurrent Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If it goes bad then its good for your body! =) Just remember that when you decide to eat those McDonalds Fries that never EVER go bad! YUCK!
  • sameosameo1
    sameosameo1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I try to eat something fresh everyday. a piece of fruit or a veggie. I can't wait till my veggie garden starts to produce. Once you go fresh you never go back!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I'm all over it! I have a fresh apple for my morning snack, a freshly-made salad for lunch, plain greek yogurt with fresh raspberries for my afternoon snack!
  • Megs081211
    Megs081211 Posts: 150
    Options
    Today I ate some zucchini picked fresh out of the garden. I'll also have an apple with peanut butter later. I have my degree in nutrition and during all our class my professors said that canned food lacks the same nutrition as frozen/fresh because the cooking/canning process leaches out some of those nutrients.

I don't eat canned vegetables and the only canned fruit I eat is pineapples (when they aren't in season, or the store doesn't have any good ones; and it's always the ones in their own fruit juice).
  • wiggywompus
    wiggywompus Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    First picking of salad out of the garden - does n't get much fresher 5 minutes from picked to table!
  • tickleandslapp
    tickleandslapp Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    the only thing i eat out of a box these days is sugarfree jello... (sometimes i just gotta have something that feels bad..lol) here in hawaii pretty much all the meat and produce at the supermarket are of course shipped in. we make it a point to support or local farmers by going to the farmers market every week. i gotta tell you...there is nothing better than a meal that is completely made up of food that was grown in the ground and caught in the waters around our islands. eating fresh is BEST!!!
  • Sptwoman
    Sptwoman Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to this group today. This challenge is easy. I had a mango today!
  • sameosameo1
    Options
    Today I picked strawberries from the garden. Ooops forgot to track it! Wonder how many calories are in fresh strawberries!
  • sameosameo1
    Options
    Isn't that the greatest! I'll be cookin and all of a sudden I'll realize I have no green pepper, Hang on, let me go pick some!