Tips and Tricks

Options
Curvimami
Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
Does anyone have any tips and trick on retaining length and/or moisturizing and taming wild curly locs. I know I noticed a couple ladies who have succeeding in reaching long lengths and would love to know their secrets. Haven't seen too many veteran curlies/wavies yet. Hope they will start popping up soon, though. Thanx in advance

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    The Long Hair Community forum is a great site for hair care.

The new Tresemme split end treatment shampoo and conditioner gave me poo dandruff. I'm sad about that, because I have split ends all over the place. Sometimes I grab a pair of scissors and snip them, but there's always more than I can get rid of.

My hair has grown out a lot longer since I stopped washing it every single day.

Also, I try to keep it up or over my shoulder when I sit in my computer chair because it seems to break off from rubbing between the chair and my back. Keeping it up more often in general seems to help it grow, but I still have breakage issues.

Since it's curly and unruly and I don't like using products in it to style it, putting it up in a high ponytail or in a braid before I go out or as it's drying will sometimes tame it a bit so that at least it isn't going everywhere when I take it down.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    The Long Hair Community forum is a great site for hair care.

The new Tresemme split end treatment shampoo and conditioner gave me poo dandruff. I'm sad about that, because I have split ends all over the place. Sometimes I grab a pair of scissors and snip them, but there's always more than I can get rid of.

My hair has grown out a lot longer since I stopped washing it every single day.

Also, I try to keep it up or over my shoulder when I sit in my computer chair because it seems to break off from rubbing between the chair and my back. Keeping it up more often in general seems to help it grow, but I still have breakage issues.

Since it's curly and unruly and I don't like using products in it to style it, putting it up in a high ponytail or in a braid before I go out or as it's drying will sometimes tame it a bit so that at least it isn't going everywhere when I take it down.

I like to put mine up for while to tame it as well. But my hair would look horrible without the aide of moisturizing products. lol
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

I like to put mine up for while to tame it as well. But my hair would look horrible without the aide of moisturizing products. lol

To be honest, there's only so much that no-product can do to tame my rats nest too. I just don't much care what I look like right now, but when and if I ever do again, I'll probably get some defrizz of some sort. Might as well save the money and build up for when it matters to me again.
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I co wash ( which is washing your hair hair with conditioner instead if shampoo) if you are not comfortable with that use sulfate free shampoos. I also use conditioner as a styling agent, plenty of people do and it is fine to use in your hair. I also moisturize with raw organic coconut oil. That stuff is great and keeps my hair beautiful. Check out my YouTube for some pictures
    youtube/amelody beauty
  • Curvimami
    Options

To be honest, there's only so much that no-product can do to tame my rats nest too. I just don't much care what I look like right now, but when and if I ever do again, I'll probably get some defrizz of some sort. Might as well save the money and build up for when it matters to me again.

I dont know why you dont care about what you look like with all that beautiful hair. You should be strutting your stuff lady, soon enough the outside will match how you feel it should on the inside
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I co wash ( which is washing your hair hair with conditioner instead if shampoo) if you are not comfortable with that use sulfate free shampoos. I also use conditioner as a styling agent, plenty of people do and it is fine to use in your hair. I also moisturize with raw organic coconut oil. That stuff is great and keeps my hair beautiful. Check out my YouTube for some pictures
    youtube/amelody beauty

I was wondering about this.. Do you use a specific conditioner or will any old conditioner do? I know they have "cleansing conditioners"(I just bought one) but if I can buy a regular one and save myself some money, then I will..
  • AmelodyAngel
    AmelodyAngel Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Usually any conditioner will work, I know people that use the Suave or VOS which is really cheap and they like it, It really depends on your hair. I would try it first and see how your hair does. if you dont like it at least it was cheap. Personally I love Garnie Fructis (sp) as a co wash and Herbal Essence.
  • dad106
    Options
    Usually any conditioner will work, I know people that use the Suave or VOS which is really cheap and they like it, It really depends on your hair. I would try it first and see how your hair does. if you dont like it at least it was cheap. Personally I love Garnie Fructis (sp) as a co wash and Herbal Essence.

Hm.. I'll have to try it.

I currently use a sulfate free shampoo/conditioner from sallys, but the bottles are so small... and kind of expensive for what you get.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    VO5's conditioner has been quite the life saver for a girl like me because I'm cheap and co-wash often. I can grab it at the dollar store or I can go to a huge store like Walmart and get it for around 89 cents. I don't need a fancy/expensive conditioner for my hair 90% of the time. And I can use as much as my hair needs without feeling guilty about constantly buying a $4+ bottles of conditioner. If I'm having a dry hair week then I'll use "Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition 3 Minute Undo Dryness Reversal Treatment" which I really like (but I definitely leave it in for more than 3 minutes).
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    youtube/amelody beauty

I was wondering about this.. Do you use a specific conditioner or will any old conditioner do? I know they have "cleansing conditioners"(I just bought one) but if I can buy a regular one and save myself some money, then I will..

I try to co wash for my inbetween wash, and I try to go a day after I cowash without washing my hair and wearing it up so I don't damage it, so essentially I shampoo my hair every 3 days. If I could wear a baseball hat to my job I would suck it up and take the time to just have my hair adjust to co washing since I love how silky it makes my hair feel. i've definitely noticed my hair is A LOT healthier since I started to do this. I LOVE Panteen beautiful lengths shampoo and conditioner, my hair has been healthier with that than it has with even expensive shampoo and conditioner.
  • dad106
    Options
    youtube/amelody beauty

I try to co wash for my inbetween wash, and I try to go a day after I cowash without washing my hair and wearing it up so I don't damage it, so essentially I shampoo my hair every 3 days. If I could wear a baseball hat to my job I would suck it up and take the time to just have my hair adjust to co washing since I love how silky it makes my hair feel. i've definitely noticed my hair is A LOT healthier since I started to do this. I LOVE Panteen beautiful lengths shampoo and conditioner, my hair has been healthier with that than it has with even expensive shampoo and conditioner.

Can you use a dry shampoo for in-between times when it looks a bit oily?

When I straighten my hair, I let it go for about 3 days with a bit of dry shampoo to sop up extra oil.
  • Nyrissa
    Nyrissa Posts: 40
    Options
    I use the Trader Joe's Organic Shampoo and Conditioner. You get a good size bottle, it's only $2, it only has a few chemicals (emulsifying agents) to hold the mixture together, and everything else is organic fruit/botanical oils.

I like it a lot. I've noticed my hair doesn't fall out nearly as much anymore.

Every 2 or so days I rise through 2-3 times with a little bit of the shampoo to really get it in there, then I use the conditioner I work it through my hair for 5 or so minutes, then put it up in a shower cap, take the rest of my shower, then at the end I take it down and rise it with warm/mildly hot water, then once all the conditioner feels like it's out I rise it all with very cold water, until my hair doesn't feel warm anymore.

I heard a few times before that hot water opens up all the 'vessels' and whatnot in the hair/skin and cold water constricts them back down, so to rise off with cold water at the end so the 'scales' of the hair don't get as damaged cause they aren't 'open'. I don't always have the time to do that, but I notice when I do my hair is a little shinier and softer. And it's just cold water, so it's not going to hurt your hair more then the warm water if it doesn't work.

Occasionally since my hair seems to be reaching it's limit, the ends get very dried out. When that happens I braid my hair, and tie it off right before the dry part. Then in the sink I do warm water with a dab of Garnier Fruitis Long & Strong Shampoo, rinse it out, then do the cold water. Then I run my fingers through it and wave it around a bit until it stops dripping. And it seems to go back to normal after that.

And besides the emulsifiers in the TJ Shampoo or the GF Shampoo, I don't use any other chemicals in my hair. It seems to work really well. My hair isn't dry or stringy anymore like it was when I used the Treseme Naturals products.
  • MaraDiaz
    Options

I dont know why you dont care about what you look like with all that beautiful hair. You should be strutting your stuff lady, soon enough the outside will match how you feel it should on the inside

:happy: Thanks for the compliment, but my hair is difficult to tame. It requires quite a bit of energy to make it behave, so I try to save that energy for when it's going to really matter. Also, not using a lot of chemicals on it daily means it will behave better when I do put products on it, or that's how it always seems to work out.
  • phatkris
    phatkris Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I totally agree with the Garnie Frutis. I use the Green bottle. It helps a lot when i do my co - wash. after a few Co washes i do use a shampoo.
  • Honeytips
    Honeytips Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with cowashing....since I've started doing this I've noticed a bit of a spurt (when I shampooed there were always black balls of hair hanging off my strands which I had to pull/cut off and I believe this contributed to my hair not retaining). I've recently discovered washing my hair with benzonite clay (absolutely love) and doing a final rinse with tea :love:
  • beequipped
    beequipped Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Co-washing was the best thing that happened to my hair. I also love to pre-poo. I use sauve conditioner and one t. of olive oil mixed together. I saturate my hair with this and cover it with a plastic cap. I wear it for a minimum of one hour. You can look it up on youtube.
  • Jbaker0524
    Options
    I wash my hair with Paul Mitchell Awapuhi shampoo and conditioner. I have a severe anxiety disorder and a Estrogen-Hormonal Imbalance at age 25. My hair is starting to thin out and I hate it! I'm full blood italian i'm supposed to have the pin-straight dark thick hair... (okay i'll admit I also burned my hair going blonde at the tips underneath for a two-tone.)

Any thoughts or ideas that could help me get my long hair back?