Yoga Pants

Options
kelseyhere
kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
Appropriate in public? Yes or no. What are your thoughts on yoga pants? Does it depend on how much the girl weighs? Should that even matter?

Personally, I'm getting pretty sick of it! Yoga pants are made for working out and are perfectly fine for the gym, yoga studio, or hanging out around the house, but when you go shopping put on some real pants!! I don't care if you're a size 0, wear some real pants! Anyone else feel this way? I'm not even conservative when it comes to dress, but I feel this has got to stop. What do you fearless fashionistas think?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    It depends on the situation. I might go shopping, then go to the gym, and since I'm lazy and don't like to carry a ton of stuff, I'll just wear my workout clothes. I don't wear them if I'm not going to exercise, though, and it bugged the hell out of me when my my ex-she-boss (I worked for husband and wife vets) would come to work in track pants and yoga capris, and throw a lab coat over top, when we, the vet tech plebes, had to wear scrubs. So we had to look "professional," but she could look like she just popped into the exam room on her way to the gym. I don't know, maybe it's just that I couldn't stand the woman (she made fun of my dog!) but if I were a client, I'd want the doctors to look more polished than the techs.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I used to wear yoga pants basically 24/7. Okay, so, I didn't wear them to work--I probably would have though, if I could have, haha! I worked so much back then, that I didn't really have a lot of free time anyway, so I guess that's why my fashion was more "lazy." I don't wear them so much now (just for working out now, or around the house)...simply because I'm now a full-time student, so I like to "dress up" more. However, I don't really care if I see women out in yoga pants. I love Victoria's Secret's Pink ones...I see teens and women out in them all the time, I always point out which ones I want or own, haha. It's definitely not something that bothers me. I'm not perturbed by others clothing choices. :wink:
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of black ones that I wear a lot. I wear them to school, and sometimes to work (I just do date entry/ typing and there's no dress code or interaction with customers or I wouldn't wear them to work). I'm also only 23 and if I was older I probably wouldn't wear them unless I was working out or maybe running some quick errands.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wear them for anything dressy, but I don't see a problem wearing them for casual walking around, walking the dog, etc. I usually wear whatever I'm going to wear to workout in on my way to the gym and sometimes wander or get something to eat wearing yoga pants. I think they're fine for casual wear.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I don't care, as long as they are thick enough, and it is a casual situation. It can make you look a little sloppy, but it is appropriate.

People wearing yoga pants have nothing on the people I have seen wearing sheer pantyhose as pants. That is what I'd call in appropriate. One day I saw a woman with a baggy t-shirt tucked into some sheer panty hose heading to Starbucks. I thought I was hallucinating. I wanted to go over to the Ross next door and buy her a skirt or something.
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I don't care, as long as they are thick enough, and it is a casual situation. It can make you look a little sloppy, but it is appropriate.

People wearing yoga pants have nothing on the people I have seen wearing sheer pantyhose as pants. That is what I'd call in appropriate. One day I saw a woman with a baggy t-shirt tucked into some sheer panty hose heading to Starbucks. I thought I was hallucinating. I wanted to go over to the Ross next door and buy her a skirt or something.

I haven't witnessed that one yet! I've witnessed white yoga capris though, with some sort of colored thong underneath, at...you guessed it...Wal-mart. :laugh: That's the thing with yoga pants/capris/shorts...some are very see-through, even though when you just pick them up off the rack/shelf, they don't look like they would be. I have a pair of gray yoga capris that I had no idea were see-through until I went to leave the house and took a final look in the mirror. They're extremely see-through, so now they're PJ bottoms.
  • Kooraloo
    Kooraloo Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the situation! I have 2 pairs of black yoga pants that I bought at my highest weight, and now I have to pin them up and they're a little baggy. When I wear them, since they're not skin tight, from a distance they look like an average pair of slim fitting black jeans. I've worn them for serving (volunteered at a breakfast where they had a uniform) because my black pants were dirty, and no one could tell the difference. I usually only wear them for working out or when all my pants are dirty (which is really fast now because I only have two pairs of jeans that fit...) but I think that casual things like shopping, school, hanging out, yoga pants are fine BUT something like a "five course formal dinner" or semicasual-black tie events it's definitely not appropriate!
  • doughnutwretch
    doughnutwretch Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I often wear yoga pants to the grocery story, convienence store, Target, etc. I'm not going to go to the mall wearing them or out to a meal with my fiance, but if it's a quick trip, you betchya!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options

I agree with you that thickness plays a part. I think you also hit the nail on the head with the word "sloppy." That would have been a better word to describe it. That lady with the panty hose though, I don't know what she was thinking, just sounds plain uncomfortable your shirt tucked in to hose!