What Are Your Length Goals?

Options
Curvimami
Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
For those of us growing out theri hair, what are your length goals? Where are you now? NL, SL, APL, BSL, MBL, WL, TBL etc.?? How do you plan to protect and retain length?

Replies

• LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I once had a MBL (mid-back?) goal since I never could get my hair much below my shoulders. Blowdrying and combing put stress on my tresses. When I locked my hair, it grew pretty fast past my shoulders. Retaining length has been pretty simple since I only wash/go, twist/braid outs and style with my fingers.

Now that my hair is just below my waist, I plan to keep within an inch or two of my waist with trims. I may cut it to shoulder length after I've lost most of my excess weight though.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    I once had a MBL (mid-back?) goal since I never could get my hair much below my shoulders. Blowdrying and combing put stress on my tresses. When I locked my hair, it grew pretty fast past my shoulders. Retaining length has been pretty simple since I only wash/go, twist/braid outs and style with my fingers.

Now that my hair is just below my waist, I plan to keep within an inch or two of my waist with trims. I may cut it to shoulder length after I've lost most of my excess weight though.

Why, why would you do that!? lol How did you get it to waist length after being stuck at shoulder length so long??
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm currently at APL (OK, so I have less than an inch to get there), and my goal is TBL. I wear my hair up a lot to protect it, but I also try to wear it down a couple times a week so I can enjoy it. :-) I like braided updos, and fully rolled sock buns. Before I put it up, I coat it in either Shea Moisture curl and style milk, or curl enhancing smoothie, or deep treatment hair masque. I've been avoiding hair bands more and more, because of the stress they cause on the strands. I just trimmed my daughter's hair, and she has a line of damage from where we were putting her hair in ponytails, and that really drove it home on how much they hurt your hair.
  • datenshi
    datenshi Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Mine was at WL but I cut it to MBL because of split ends that weren't so much at the end and now I want to get back to WL.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I just BC'ed a couple weeks ago after about 1 year of transitioning. My hair is around 4.5 inches long so it stretches about the length of my neck. My ultimate goal is to have a HUGE afro that bounces when I walk. So, I have no inch goal in particular.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I think I'd like to see how long I can get it. Grow, hair, grow! :bigsmile:
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I think I'd like to see how long I can get it. Grow, hair, grow! :bigsmile:

This.

I did have the urge to cut it yesterday, something that hasn't happened in years. I went to see The Avengers, and the assassin character's hair is about like mine when it's short and dyed red and tamed with product. A lot of product. But I know even if I love it at first, I'll be sick of it before it grows out again. Plus, that actress has gorgeous hair at any length, and no doubt someone to tame it for her when it misbehaves.
  • emirror
    Options
    It's so easy to want it cut! I just try to remind myself that I really don't like to HAVE to style it every day.

So, last night after I showered, I parted my hair in two halves, with a slightly askew middle part (like you're going to do pigtails), and put two fully-rolled sock buns in the back, without using a ponytail holder. I took them out this morning, and my hair looked salon-fabulous all day! I've found my new styling method, that's for sure!!!
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    It's so easy to want it cut! I just try to remind myself that I really don't like to HAVE to style it every day.

So, last night after I showered, I parted my hair in two halves, with a slightly askew middle part (like you're going to do pigtails), and put two fully-rolled sock buns in the back, without using a ponytail holder. I took them out this morning, and my hair looked salon-fabulous all day! I've found my new styling method, that's for sure!!!

Could you take and share a picture of that process? I'd love to see it.
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    My current goal is to leave the poor thing alone and get it to waist length. It's currently hanging around shoulder length thanks to a super short haircut in spring of 2011. :sad:
  • emirror
    Options
    This video will show you how to do the fully rolled sock bun. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'll take some pics tonight when I roll it up, and then some more tomorrow when I take it out. :)
  • Curvimami
    Options

Thats sounds really nice. I would love to try it too!
  • emirror
    Options
    Ok, here is what the buns look like when they are rolled up. I purposely made the sock show through to try to make it make more sense visually:

23844634_9102.jpg

Something in my technique was off last night, because it doesn't look the same this morning. So, I'm going to pay more attention to how I'm rolling it up, and let y'all know when I figure out the best way to do it. Hopefully it won't take too many tries. In the meantime, it doesn't take long to put up, so can y'all try it too, and let me know what you think!
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Ok, here is what the buns look like when they are rolled up. I purposely made the sock show through to try to make it make more sense visually:

23844634_9102.jpg

Something in my technique was off last night, because it doesn't look the same this morning. So, I'm going to pay more attention to how I'm rolling it up, and let y'all know when I figure out the best way to do it. Hopefully it won't take too many tries. In the meantime, it doesn't take long to put up, so can y'all try it too, and let me know what you think!

Your hair is so shiny!!! so beautiful :-)
  • emirror
    Options
    Thank you, curvimami!

Ok, here's a pic of the sock bun curls. I did it too late at night, and they were still damp when I took them out, so I dried it the rest of the way with a hair dryer and diffuser. It still hasn't turned out as pretty as it did this weekend, but today was an improvement over yesterday. I feel like if it had dried more in the bun, it would have looked very close to how it did this weekend. The main things I made sure to do was 1 - put on some moisturizer before rolling (I love Shea Moisture, and used the curl and style smoothie last night for this), and 2 - brush the hair as straight as possible before rolling up. I ended up with mostly big huge waves and some curls, but this weekend I had mostly huge curls and some wave.

23844634_1376.jpg
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I had no idea that a sock bun actually involved a sock! Going to have to try this, because the end result looks really good.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Thank you, curvimami!

Ok, here's a pic of the sock bun curls. I did it too late at night, and they were still damp when I took them out, so I dried it the rest of the way with a hair dryer and diffuser. It still hasn't turned out as pretty as it did this weekend, but today was an improvement over yesterday. I feel like if it had dried more in the bun, it would have looked very close to how it did this weekend. The main things I made sure to do was 1 - put on some moisturizer before rolling (I love Shea Moisture, and used the curl and style smoothie last night for this), and 2 - brush the hair as straight as possible before rolling up. I ended up with mostly big huge waves and some curls, but this weekend I had mostly huge curls and some wave.

23844634_1376.jpg

I cant imagine how pretty it must've been on the weekend. This is just lovely. Someone officially has a Haircrush :love:
  • emirror
    Options
    It really is gorgeous when it turns out right! :)

Just remember, you have to make sure your hair is very very damp / barely towel dried when you roll it up, or it won't hold the curl all day.

I wanna see some pics of everyone else's hair! Come on ya'll! Most of the pics of me on my page are of my hair! :blushing:
  • BamaGirl813
    Options
    Thank you, curvimami!

23844634_1376.jpg

I cant imagine how pretty it must've been on the weekend. This is just lovely. Someone officially has a Haircrush :love:

I'm hair crush #2!!! Lol :heart:
  • Curvimami
    Options
    It really is gorgeous when it turns out right! :)

Just remember, you have to make sure your hair is very very damp / barely towel dried when you roll it up, or it won't hold the curl all day.

I wanna see some pics of everyone else's hair! Come on ya'll! Most of the pics of me on my page are of my hair! :blushing:

Lol. You should probably start a thread of Pics. But I agree. I would love to see more hair pics, styles and tutorials.