What Kind of Curl Are You??

Options
Curvimami
Curvimami Posts: 1,853 Member
I understand there is a curl typing system that goes from 1(straight hair, no curl) to 2abc all the way to 4abc. Do you follow this system? What is your curl type? Would you say the system was accurate? How has knowing your curly type helped (or not) in your Natural/ Long hair journey?

Replies

• adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm a 3A/2C on top and 2B/2A underneath, but no, I don't think knowing my type helped me any :)
  • Curvimami
    Options
    It didnt really help me too much either. It did give me a place to start, though. But I kind of took it from there. And use whatever works for me
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    That's what I do, my fav gel is the old school L.A. Looks....LOL. I can't say that iv'e found any HG products. I do use the no poo method. Sometimes if I have chlorine build up I will use Johnson's baby shampoo mixed with baking soda, but that's not very often and only in the summer. My hair is SO MUCH healthier!!!
  • Curvimami
    Options
    Sounds like L.A Looks is your HG Product. Lol. Old school products always seem to stand the test of time :glasses:
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I'm a 2b/2c.

(Here's a chart for everyone...)

The straight ones

1a - stick straight
    1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
    1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

The wavy ones

2a - loose, stretched out S-waves throughout the hair
    2b - shorter, more distinct S-waves (similar to waves from braiding damp hair)
    2c - distinct S-waves and the odd spiral curl forming here and there

The curly ones

3a - big, loose spiral curls
    3b - bouncy ringlets
    3c - tight corkscrews

The really curly ones

4a - tightly coiled S-curls
    4b - tightly coiled hair bending in sharp angles (Z-pattern)
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I always hear a lot of debate about the 4b/4c, and how people say 4c doesn't exist... so I never know where to put myself. But I'm in the curliest category for sure. Unfortunately, getting my curls to clump together only happens as often as a solar eclipse.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    I always hear a lot of debate about the 4b/4c, and how people say 4c doesn't exist... so I never know where to put myself. But I'm in the curliest category for sure. Unfortunately, getting my curls to clump together only happens as often as a solar eclipse.

Have you tried the shingling method?? I hear this works really well for super curlies. And concerning 4b/4c, I say if someone found a curl tighter than a 4b than that is what they called it. You know these typing systems are just to give ppl a guideline to help you have an idea of what to do and/or expect from your hair.
  • LovesGG
    LovesGG Posts: 241 Member
    Options

Have you tried the shingling method?? I hear this works really well for super curlies. And concerning 4b/4c, I say if someone found a curl tighter than a 4b than that is what they called it. You know these typing systems are just to give ppl a guideline to help you have an idea of what to do and/or expect from your hair.

No, I've never tried it. I just looked it up on Youtube and wow... does that look somewhat time consuming lol. I will attempt it on a section of my hair when I get these box braids out of my head in a couple weeks. I'll let you know how it works out.
  • Curvimami
    Options

No, I've never tried it. I just looked it up on Youtube and wow... does that look somewhat time consuming lol. I will attempt it on a section of my hair when I get these box braids out of my head in a couple weeks. I'll let you know how it works out.

Lol,yeah I guess it could take a while. But I hope it works out for you, though. Its supposed to be really good for moisturizing and defining the curls :-)
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I have what I would have called 4b/c but I'm guessing accroding to this I'd be more of a 3c. Think the pattern of a spring on the inside of a retractable pen and the same diameter!
    If ever I want to define my curls, I section my hair into 16 parts (yes I got this ish down to a science!)
    Mix ecostyler (1/4 c) and 2 Tbsp olive oil (yes the kind you have in your kitchen) in a cup and whip it.

Start at the nape. Spray each section down with water, Dripping wet. detangle with a wide tooth comb. Take the mixture and coat the hair evenly small layers at a time. Each section should be about 2-3 layers. Let you hair air dry or sit under a dryer :)

For me, it last about 2-3 days. I love it because my hair stays moisturized because of the olive oil and the whole style is easy to maintain and did I mention CHEAP! I needed an alternative to Kinky Curly. Love that stuff but it was drying my hair out and was expensive as hell to keep buying.
  • Curvimami
    Options
    I have what I would have called 4b/c but I'm guessing accroding to this I'd be more of a 3c. Think the pattern of a spring on the inside of a retractable pen and the same diameter!
    If ever I want to define my curls, I section my hair into 16 parts (yes I got this ish down to a science!)
    Mix ecostyler (1/4 c) and 2 Tbsp olive oil (yes the kind you have in your kitchen) in a cup and whip it.

Start at the nape. Spray each section down with water, Dripping wet. detangle with a wide tooth comb. Take the mixture and coat the hair evenly small layers at a time. Each section should be about 2-3 layers. Let you hair air dry or sit under a dryer :)

For me, it last about 2-3 days. I love it because my hair stays moisturized because of the olive oil and the whole style is easy to maintain and did I mention CHEAP! I needed an alternative to Kinky Curly. Love that stuff but it was drying my hair out and was expensive as hell to keep buying.

Its always great when you discover new techniques that work for you and help make your natural hair journey that much more simple :happy:
  • LindaLouLu
    LindaLouLu Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I've got 1a.
    I make the walls cry with jealousy. :laugh:
  • emirror
    Options
    I always wished my hair was straight like that! Straight hair looks so silky and shiny! :love:
  • stepharega
    stepharega Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm a 2b/2c.

(Here's a chart for everyone...)

The straight ones

1a - stick straight
    1b - straight but with a slight body wave, just enough to add some volume, doesn't look wavy
    1c - straight with body wave and one or two visible S-waves (e.g. nape of neck or temples)

The wavy ones

2a - loose, stretched out S-waves throughout the hair
    2b - shorter, more distinct S-waves (similar to waves from braiding damp hair)
    2c - distinct S-waves and the odd spiral curl forming here and there

The curly ones

3a - big, loose spiral curls
    3b - bouncy ringlets
    3c - tight corkscrews

The really curly ones

4a - tightly coiled S-curls
    4b - tightly coiled hair bending in sharp angles (Z-pattern)

1c on top..2c on the bottem
  • LindaLouLu
    Options
    I always wished my hair was straight like that! Straight hair looks so silky and shiny! :love:

Want to trade? :laugh: I can't do a single thing with it. When I wash it (I never blow dry or put any kind of heat on it. Just kind of squeeze it a bit with a towel) it can take up to 3 hours to dry fully!! :noway: I have tried braiding it and leaving it in braids for up to 3 days. Within 1hour of removing the braids... It looks like the walls again! :sad: Same goes for curlers.
    VERY obnoxious. :grumble:
    Oh, and there's no point in trying to do anything with it while it's wet either. It falls back flat as soon as you take it out... and no matter how long a "style" is left in... It's STILL damp when I take it out!!!
  • emirror
    Options
    Awww! That would be very frustrating, to not be able to have it dry when trying to style it! ;(

Have you tried sock buns? Maybe you could put a ton of sock buns all over your head, to really thin out the layers that need to dry... Although you might end up with a huge poof-ball...

On second thought, I'd love to see a huge poof-ball. I bet it would be cute (even if you wouldn't want to leave the house that way!).
  • LindaLouLu
    Options
    Awww! That would be very frustrating, to not be able to have it dry when trying to style it! ;(

Have you tried sock buns? Maybe you could put a ton of sock buns all over your head, to really thin out the layers that need to dry... Although you might end up with a huge poof-ball...

On second thought, I'd love to see a huge poof-ball. I bet it would be cute (even if you wouldn't want to leave the house that way!).

Nope. Going to have to hit up some google because I have no idea what those are either :laugh:
    And I would TOTALLY rock a poof ball, just for a change of pace
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    3a/b :)

206076_4202892110992_1280156146_n.jpg

599528_4233884365779_1223662147_n.jpg
  • emirror
    Options
    IFG- beautiful curls!!!!
  • InnerFatGirl