figuring out you are Gluten Intolerant Question...

Options
I have been having issues on and off for quite a while. I have been for a colonoscopy, and had a Biopsy taken. I have not heard directly from the Gastro doctor, but did get "Normal" results back from my GP. Since my appointment with the Gastroenterologist wasn't for a couple weeks, I decided to go Gluten free for a while to see how my body reacted. I was Gluten free for 1 week solid, then the last two days, I've had breads.

While I was Gluten free, I was still having stomach pain, bowel issues (I flop between stools that are too loose and that don't come at all). The last two days, I've seen no change.

My question is, would one week be enough to see if I was Gluten intolerant? Or do I need to go off Gluten for a longer period of time? (I came off early because I had a weak moment in the face of a donut :-0) Most (well all) of my friends seem to think that having no reaction after being off for a week is an indicator that I'm not Gluten intolerant. If it was long enough I want to move on to something else (Like Lactose or something) to see if I can figure it out.

Replies

• lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    It can take several weeks to feel a difference.

I felt better after about two weeks of being gluten free, and that is when things started to return to normal. It took longer for my neurological symptoms, but after two months those are much much better. But if you doctor is going to test you for Celiac, then you have to continue eating gluten.

Good luck!
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It can take 2 weeks or more to see a difference (it depends on your metabolism more than anything). I'd give it an extra week or two to see if you see a difference. Also, it could be something else, or something in addition to gluten. The only way to know for sure if its food related is to do a Total Elimination diet. That means cutting the Top 8 allergens out of your diet for a few weeks (better if its a month), then slllloooowwwllly add 1 thing back in at a time, keeping track of all your symptoms daily.

This is how I was able to find out about my own gluten issues, and my son's dairy allergy and gluten issues (its not an allergy, and we are not diagnosed Celiac though it is suspected). You can google Total Elimination Diet and you can get tons of information on it.
  • gtamomof2
    gtamomof2 Posts: 27
    Options
    So since I have had 2 days with Gluten (breads) I would start my 2 weeks again right? I know, I'm trying to cut corners and shouldn't since it is my health but I'm being a typical human!

Oh and I assume that the biopsy was for Celiac, I have already had the blood testing done, and don't have the results on that back yet either.

Thanks for your help everyone!!!
    T
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yup, you have to start all over again.

If the biopsy was for Celiac, then you can safely go GF now. However, should you get a negative response on the biopsy or blood test, that does not necessarily indicate that gluten is not an issue. The only way to know for sure is to give it a good try GF. There are gluten intolerances, and tests will not let you know if that is a problem. Diet is the only way.

It took a full year of convincing for me to do the TED with my son (I was nursing at the time). It was so hard, but so worth it. Then we were told that wheat and gluten were not an issue (by the allergist), and we added all that stuff back in. Within weeks we were both miserable again, and I didn't put two and two together for almost another 2 years. It's hard on your body to go through all that. I know now, that I was in denial.

Good luck with whatever you discover!!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I would give it more than a week - sometimes it takes me that long just to detox it out of my system and start to feel better again after I've been glutened (depends on how much I have eaten). I'm also not dx'ed celiac, but I've got an intolerance. I found out by eliminating it (doing a paleo/primal type of eating, so it wasn't the intended purpose), and figured it out when I would "cheat" and have wheat-containing foods, I would feel awful for days - a few times, I even got a cold from it (lowered immune response). So now, it's much easier for me to avoid anything with wheat, as I know the consequences!!
  • er1nya
    er1nya Posts: 87
    Options
    I echo everyone else saying that you should give it at least another week- I tired to do my elimination diet around the holidays last year and I would cheat and then start up again. In January I did it for real for about a month because I really wanted to find the culprit. My celiac test also came back negative.

The month was really hard- I suggest blocking off at least 2 weeks (preferably more) in the near future where you don't have plans to go away or anything- I had a girl's weekend in the middle of mine and was miserable the whole time :(

But it was all worth it. I am still in the process of discovering exactly what I can eat and not eat-but for me it seems to be white flour/ wheat flour. I can tolerate spelt and barley without a problem but the white/wheat flours go right through me. Since eliminating non gluten free bread, baked goods made with those flours, pizza, etc. I feel sooo much better and like a new person. I still get occasional stomach problems but it's nothing like what I used to experience.

Good luck!
  • gsurface28
    gsurface28 Posts: 16
    Options
    I have been gluten free (to the best of my knowledge as its almost EVERYTHING) for 7 weeks - I am not seeing a huge difference but their are some subtle things. My dr did not do a blood test to my knowledge - after having an endo & colonoscopy he suggested celiac as a possible cause - I have to go 6 full months then have another endo done to see if there is healing in my small intestine..(He said it takes that long for healing to occur) Like I said I have not eaten anything that I know has gluten in it - but I am being contaminated everyday due to running a day care & my family still eats gluten products. I make 7 to 10 lunches everyday, pour cheerios all day, bake with regular flour for my family & still use the same toaster ( I do have my own butter & cream cheese - so no contamination there). My goal is to get a new toaster & slowly wean my family off gluten products - especially flour which particles go airborne & then the whole kitchen is contaminated. I have heard gluten can remain in your system for up to 2 weeks - so I would assume you would have to go a minimum of a month to know - there is so much information out there its hard to know what is true not to mention we are all unique in how we process, heal & digest things :)
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Give it more time but as with many celiacs we usually have more than just a gluten issue- we often have mulitple- food issues.. try going dairy free also.. I went gluten and felt better instantly but it was short lived..it wasn't until I gave up all grains, dairy, soy and legumes that I began to really improve.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    How gluten free were you???? Did you go off wheat, or all grains related, rye, barley, spelt, oats...
    Did you avoid all foods with icing sugar, like peanut butter, candy, even dried fruit (often dusted in flour)
    Were you carefull about yogurt, cottage cheese and icecream?
    Did you check all sauces for wheat or barley or malt...... Soy, teriaki, soy sauce.....
    And did you give your body long enough to heal, sorry, but that is a couple of weeks, at least for me.

I knew I couldn't eat bread for decades before I was diagnosed w Celiacs, but I couldn't figure out why i was still sick at random times. Thought I was just crazy. Till I included the little things.

But maybe it's not celiacs, in that case be happy and keep exploring your symptoms.
  • Nicolemac36
    Nicolemac36 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I gave up gluten even though blood test was negative. Dr. said to give it a try for the issues I was having, muscle joint pain, belly swelling. After 10 days gluten free, I wanted to know what would happen if I have some, I had one cookie, and paid the price for 2 days. Headache, swollen belly, sinuses sore ears, etc. I couldn't believe how much it affected me after giving it up for just 10 days. I am avoiding it for at least another month and then going to test it again. I do feel better with out the glten in my diet though, could be a life long thing!
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I gave up gluten even though blood test was negative. Dr. said to give it a try for the issues I was having, muscle joint pain, belly swelling. After 10 days gluten free, I wanted to know what would happen if I have some, I had one cookie, and paid the price for 2 days. Headache, swollen belly, sinuses sore ears, etc. I couldn't believe how much it affected me after giving it up for just 10 days. I am avoiding it for at least another month and then going to test it again. I do feel better with out the glten in my diet though, could be a life long thing!

I've heard/read that as we eliminate gluten from our diets, we become more sensitive to it.

Plus, for me one cookie would have turned into the whole box/batch, with some donuts, too! :laugh: It (wheat) is addictive to me.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

I've heard/read that as we eliminate gluten from our diets, we become more sensitive to it.

Plus, for me one cookie would have turned into the whole box/batch, with some donuts, too! :laugh: It (wheat) is addictive to me.

I'm a coeliac and over the years have become more sensitive.
  • Jesstruhan
    Jesstruhan Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    It took me about a month to two months to feel a difference. It was so gradual that when I "cheated" and ate something after being GF for about a month, the discomfort came RIGHT back. Then I knew. I had already been eating dairy so I was able to rule that out, but it was not until that first cheat that I had the "aha" moment.
    It's tedious, but it's worth every second.
  • irishginger
    irishginger Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    In the face of no "real" diagnosis, my doctor put me on a gluten free diet thinking I may have non-celiac gluten intolerance. She wants me to follow strict gf for 6 months and then test my nutrient levels. My endoscopies are normal, but I am unable to absorb most nutrients and lack B12, Vitamin D and Iron amongst others.

Per my doctor, once you start gf - to see "true" results you must follow it strictly. She stated to me that one bite of a food containing gluten can have you back at square one and it takes a minimum of 3 weeks for your body to clear it's gluten stores.

Hope this info helps. I am going on week 4 now. I have to say I do notice a decrease in headaches. I am trying to be strict as instructed, but I think I can tell some subtle differences in my stomach if I eat something that I "thought" was gf that maybe wasn't.

Good luck :smile:
  • kitkatkmt
    kitkatkmt Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten sensitive. One thing I've been told by many doctors is that it can take up to a few months (think, up to 3 months) for gluten to be completely out of your system. If you're having problems, make sure you're not cross-contaminating - get your own containers of butter/margarine, peanut butter, etc, and if you use a toaster, get your own strictly for your use. Don't let anyone else use it. Cross-contamination happens very easily, and you really have to be strict about how you do things, or you can get glutened. Trust me, that's NOT a good feeling.

Good luck!
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    if you have damage to your intestines, it could take years for it to heal so don't expect to feel better in that short of time.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It took me a two weeks to a month to really notice the change, my joint pain was better after about two weeks, stomach issues and migraines took longer, it took a year of being GF to notice mood changes and an improvement in my ADD.