RETAINING WATER.....

Options
Hi everyone,

I would love to get some feedback on the issue of retaining water. I have roughly 250 lbs to lose and have had for a couple of years now, Cellulitis in my left leg, from the calf down to my foot. If any of you don't know what Cellulitis is, it is an infection of the tissue, and when you have a lot of "fatty" tissue that isn't in the prime condition, it can happen. Also, once you have it, you have a very high chance of getting it again and again. I have to be very careful not to bump or get any cuts or anything on that leg. ANYWAY, I digress...
Long story short, I am constantly retaining water. My body holds on to it like nobody's business!! And during my "time of the month"(sorry guys), it is worse than ever. I usually gain 5-10 lbs. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to "help along" the retaining? Also, question about water consumption. I have been told numerous different amounts of water I am supposed to drink. Anywhere from 96 oz per day to 1/2 of my body weight. Does anyone know which it is? I am going to the dr on Friday to have a full workup done and fasting labs to make sure there is nothing else going on with me. Sorry such a long post everyone!!:embarassed:

Replies

• Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The recommendation for water is 64 ounces, but it is greatly disputed whether you count the water component of tea, coffee, juices... things like watermelon etc, as in the body doesn't care where the water comes from it'll take what it needs and eliminate the rest.

Recommendations change over time... IE sodium is on MFP by default at 2500 mg, but last January there was a change for people of a certain ethnic background, or age or health issues to limit to 1500 mg.

You can get an idea of your hydration level by checking your discharge (unless you're on certain vitamins, some of them will make it neon yellow regardless of hydration levels) if it's dark you're underhydrated... see what your overall water intake was and increase it... if its pale / light you're probably at proper hydration levels... body is funny though, what is enough water one day may not be the next based on environmental changes etc
  • tikki2782
    tikki2782 Posts: 4
    Options
    I had the same problem, but someone gave me some good advice and it really helped these last couple of years. During my "time of the month" I completely cut out any extra sodium I can because it can cause the body to hold onto extra water to flush it from your system. Also, most menstrual medications (i.e. Midol and generics) contain a small amount of bloating medication. I usually take 1 dose a day or 2 doses if I need it. This will also help the body resist holding excess water. If you are on a regular schedule, I would suggest cutting down on the sodium a day or two before your cycle.
  • kmcaan
    kmcaan Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Cut back the sodium is the key as well as exercise. Stay away from processed foods that always have more sodium than you need. Your limit per day for me is 2500. However, I would discuss with your PCP of your allowed amount.