CrossFit prep

Options
samand25
samand25 Posts: 30 Member
Hi all, new member and wannabe crossfitter here!

I'm just wondering what basic fitness levels would be needed before joining a group? The reason I'm asking is the results look fantastic (well done all!) but if I attend a couple of sessions and come away embarrassed / having done little and being knackered I wont return - so I would much rather build up a level where I will be able to have a fighting chance at keeping up.

So if anybody could guide on the minimum fitness level required it would be great.

Thanks!

Replies

• rla099
    rla099 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    well everyone was a beginner once and a good box (crossfit gym) should understand that. Every workout is scalable to what you can do also. Alot of them include olympic lifts and you will need to know correct form so you wont hurt yourself. Most boxes have an elements class with other beginners. I did not do this bc I can only go at 630 am. So I jumped right in. The work outs will never be easy. That is why its so awesome. I do workouts with ppl that have been doing it for years and we are both dying by the end. My box is very very supportive. On first day (it was a killer), everyone was rooting for me to finish. They were also giving me pointers on doing things.

Most boxes post their WOD (workout of the day) on their website so you can attempt if you want. Mine does if you want to look at that. Rock city crossfit in north little rock, ar. It is not the same as doing at the box with a coach though. My goal was to eventually do everything on my own but I love my box and the ppl in it too much.

Most of the workouts are high intensity short bursts. So maybe do stuff like that?? Sprint a minute jog a minute. how many squats you can do in 7 minutes. stuff like that.

Def try it out though. Its amazing.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I had never worked out seriously before doing crossfit. Never touched a weight, never did a pull-up, nothing. If I can get over looking stupid while learning the movements you certain can. The coaches understand that it's something that takes time to learn and if they're worth giving your money to, they will be patient and infinitely helpful while you get form down.

p.s. even after 2+ years doing it, I'm still exhausted and sprawled on the floor after a WOD. You're supposed to be. And if you're not, you didn't push hard enough.

Go in with just the expectation that it will be a great workout. You won't be disappointed :)
  • rainbos
    rainbos Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    RIGHT! One thing that makes me feel good is that even the experts look absolutely wasted. All work outs are scaled, as previous posters stated, so everyone ends up finishing... and dying together.
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    If I can do it with a back injury and the limitations that go along with it, after about 15 years of inactivity, anybody can!
  • samand25
    samand25 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, defo going to give it a try! Was initially concerned about dropping out after the first minute - but you guys have really motivated me to do it. Thank you!
  • CWSpiegel
    CWSpiegel Posts: 114
    Options
    I'm sure it's been said, but make sure you choose a box that has "Foundations" classes. My place has a minimum of 6 classes you MUST take, and then you have to "Test Out" in order to get open gym access. People do get hurt, and it's because they jump in too quick.

There are also gyms, like mine, that offer separate programming for member of different levels. At the place I go, there is Beginner, Intermediate, and Competitor levels. I'm still a beginner, and I'm wasted after the WODS. According to the official CrossFit discussion boards, this is becoming more and more common as gyms find they are getting people from all walks of life, not just ex-army and firefighters. There probably is more than one box in your area. There are 5 within 25 miles of me. Make sure you check out them all and pick the one that is the most focused on technique. Sadly, because of the way that CrossFit is set up, a lot of people are opening up places just to make money because it's becoming so popular. Ask the trainers this "Why should I train at your gym instead of this other one?"

By the way, I was NOT in shape when I started CrossFit. 30 pounds overweight, smoked a pack a day, ate pizza 5x a week. When you get your a** kicked by the WOD's you start to want to make changes outside of the gym.

Still, WELCOME to a great new phase of your life!

Chris
  • nil8r
    nil8r Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I'm very out of shape, majorly overweight and don't look like I'd be the person to try CrossFit....

So, Saturday was my first class (beginner/foundational), and everyone was very supportive, the trainers were able to correct my form or modify a WOD to help overcome any lack of strength issues I was having. At the end, everyone felt like they pushed their limits and were exhausted because the exercises were scaled to individual levels and needs.

I felt like I did 100 squats and even with active recovery techniques, I can't recall a time when it hurt to walk like this. My CrossFit coworkers and buddies assure me that with continued strength training, it'll get better.

I've never had people cheering me on when on a treadmill, but I did when I performed my first barbell full squat. I'll be back to the box tomorrow morning. :)