Paleo and 5x5

Options
amy1612
amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
Hey

Is anyone here following the Paleo diet? Ive been reading up and have decided to give it a go to see how it is and whether it will help with my IBS. Im going to keep Saturdays as my free day, and poss eat a little full fat dairy here and there, but give it a go.

So, has anyone else done it and what do you think? Ive found some amazing recipes online. :)

Replies

• tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    If it s something you want to try go ahead, it won't interfere with lifting as long as you are still eating ENOUGH food.

Haven't done it, and personally i had IBS I would probably do a more systematic elimination diet to see what the actual problem is (dairy, wheat, gluten, corn, etc) so I could just cut out the things that are problems. Also - if you have celiacs sometimes that causes dairy to ALSO be a problem until you heal up and then you can reitroduce dairy.

If you really want to do this to see if it helps your IBS, you should fully eliminate the foods you are avoiding for a full 3-4 weeks before you start having bits of it (and then you can see how a free day affects you).
  • amy1612
    Options
    Ive already done it :). Have previously eliminated all grains and it did make a difference,I just always fall into the convenience trap of going f*** it, Its easier to have bread, pasta, etc. It'd be pretty much the same as Ive done before, just ,minus rice and cheeses mostly.Im interested to see what eating really cleanly does for my energy,etc.

I havent actually properly started yet, but had what would be classed as a paleo dinner...paprika roasted sweet potato, chicken salad and homemade guacamole, was delicious!
  • tameko2
    Options
    oh well if you know it helps then I'd do it (although it is much easier to cut out bread and pasta if you can eat rice and corn, that leaves you tortillas and all kinds of rice options)

Mmm guacamole is delicious. I am always too lazy to make it. I end up just scooping out the avocado.

it won't affect SL.
  • amy1612
    Options
    Yeah, if anything the extra protein will be a plus :). Seen a lush recipe for tuna stuffed boiled eggs! Yum!

I made lazy girl guac, just chopped up some tomato, garlic and chilli and threw in in some forked up avocado with lime juicer and a little salt :)
  • tameko2
    Options
    that's not lazy, that's like FIVE ingredients. *faints*
  • amy1612
    Options
    Lol, it took all of a minute to make, but Im a bit of a kitchen *kitten*. I LOVE cooking and eating, so I'd be happy to faff for longer.