What Does Everybody Think About Dating A Shorter Man?

Options

Replies

• debrahw77
    Options
    Hahaha. This is such a great topic. I HATE dating shorter guys. My ex, with whom I had a kid, is 3 - 4 inches shorter than me. And I was so excited when my son outgrew him. My current guy, (9 years this weekend), claims to be my same height. I think he is shorter. He is in a wheelchair, so I never have to worry about standing side by side. I guess that's one way to compromise.
  • twoboysnmygirl
    twoboysnmygirl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My husband is like 1" shorter than me, but he doesn't seem to care. In fact he loves when I wear heels.

This is my husband too! He's about 2 inches shorter than me and LOVES that I'm tall and wants me in heels always. Our kids tease him that they are going to be short because of him...even though both my teenage boys are already taller than him. :p
  • nessa1232
    nessa1232 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well my boyfriend is 3 inches shorter than me and I'm ok with it. People dnt see y I'm attracted to him but I feel as long as he's good to me and my kids, no worries from me.
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    At 5'10 I'm the shortest in my family and my mom always told me she didn't care about the race, religion, etc of whoever I brought home as a SO, they just can't be shorter than me! Haha ... I've dated my height and 6'4, but I may be open to a little shorter...
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11'' and my ex bf is 5'8''. I've dated, not seriously involved with, guys who are 6'2'', 6', 5'10''...I'd like to try somebody a lot taller than me...just to see what it'd be like to have to look up to somebody, lol. AND wear my boots/shoes that have a 3-4 inch heel and still be shorter than him. :bigsmile: (Kristy knows who I mean):wink:
  • HermioneDanger118
    Options
    I'm 5'11'' and my ex bf is 5'8''. I've dated, not seriously involved with, guys who are 6'2'', 6', 5'10''...I'd like to try somebody a lot taller than me...just to see what it'd be like to have to look up to somebody, lol. AND wear my boots/shoes that have a 3-4 inch heel and still be shorter than him. :bigsmile: (Kristy knows who I mean):wink:

Work it, girl! :happy:
  • ved8301
    ved8301 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have never liked dating taller guys. I'm 6'2" and have been this tall since 14, so I was usually the tallest wherever I went and through out high school - so I never even had a chance to get used to tall guys! I always went for guys around 5'8 or so. :)

My husband is 5'9" on a good day (or with shoes on, ha!) and we both love it. He's proud of how tall I am and brags to his friends about it. I don't wear heels a lot, only because they aren't practical, but I have no problem wearing them around him when necessary!

I used to get really irritated when people said to me, with pity in their voices, "Oh, it must be hard for you to find guys to date." I've found so many other people care more about if my significant other is taller than me than I do or ever did! Who cares! The only time I notice the height difference in in pictures or if we're both standing by a mirror. BIG DEAL!
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I've only dated 1 guy who was shorter then me (my last BF) I found that things didn't always line up they was they should. It kinda made me uncomfortable
  • Mhay913
    Mhay913 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My husband is 2-3 inches shorter than me, it goes up to 4-5 if I'm in heels. It doesn't bother either of us; I don't even notice until I see pictures or we walk past a reflective window! I actually think it's a bit of a turn on for him...I do sometimes prefer taller men though...sssshhhh don't tell my husband :wink:

14792924.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I refused to date shorter men. I'm 5'11" and hated to feel like Sasquatch instead of feeling dainty and feminine. Most of my friends are tall, and have boyfriends/ husbands who are over 6'4". I always said the one thing I would never compromise on was dating short guys -- I just had too much of a complex about it and couldn't get over it. Years of being the "bottom layer" of a pyramid or standing in the back of the class had done that to me. Plus I love wearing heels once in a while and yet still being able to see eye to eye at cocktail parties instead of towering above. So I dated and dated and dated through my 20's and 30's and almost got married but called it off...

Then at age 38 I met the love of my life, although I didn't know it at the time because we were just friends and co-workers...until we got drunk and got busy one night during a storm. :wink: .

He's 3 inches shorter than me, and I weigh 20lbs more than him (although I'm trying to change this). He is the sexiest, cutest, nicest, funniest, kindest person and he LOVES that I'm taller than him. His confidence changed me.

At first I was embarrassed to be out holding hands with him, thinking everyone was looking at us. But he was so proud and happy and I saw very clearly that I was a complete moron. The first time he met my mom, who is handicapped, he stayed for the afternoon and built her a ramp so she could wheel into the back door of her house. I thought "how did I get so lucky?" He is the most wonderful person and he is my rock, and although I'm happy that I rejected short guys for years (because it meant I was available when he came along), I still feel bad that I doubted whether it would work between us because of something so minor.

Bottom line: sometimes you just have to give someone a chance. They may not be in the packaging you expected but it's what's inside that counts. We are getting married in a few months, and I can't wait to bend down to kiss him :smile:
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I refused to date shorter men. I'm 5'11" and hated to feel like Sasquatch instead of feeling dainty and feminine. Most of my friends are tall, and have boyfriends/ husbands who are over 6'4". I always said the one thing I would never compromise on was dating short guys -- I just had too much of a complex about it and couldn't get over it. Years of being the "bottom layer" of a pyramid or standing in the back of the class had done that to me. Plus I love wearing heels once in a while and yet still being able to see eye to eye at cocktail parties instead of towering above. So I dated and dated and dated through my 20's and 30's and almost got married but called it off...

Then at age 38 I met the love of my life, although I didn't know it at the time because we were just friends and co-workers...until we got drunk and got busy one night during a storm. :wink: .

He's 3 inches shorter than me, and I weigh 20lbs more than him (although I'm trying to change this). He is the sexiest, cutest, nicest, funniest, kindest person and he LOVES that I'm taller than him. His confidence changed me.

At first I was embarrassed to be out holding hands with him, thinking everyone was looking at us. But he was so proud and happy and I saw very clearly that I was a complete moron. The first time he met my mom, who is handicapped, he stayed for the afternoon and built her a ramp so she could wheel into the back door of her house. I thought "how did I get so lucky?" He is the most wonderful person and he is my rock, and although I'm happy that I rejected short guys for years (because it meant I was available when he came along), I still feel bad that I doubted whether it would work between us because of something so minor.

Bottom line: sometimes you just have to give someone a chance. They may not be in the packaging you expected but it's what's inside that counts. We are getting married in a few months, and I can't wait to bend down to kiss him :smile:

LOVE this :heart:
  • ColletteNicole
    ColletteNicole Posts: 145 Member
    Options

awww, this is so sweet!! Got me get all teary eyed, I love your story! So happy for you! :)
  • Nica_LosN_It
    Nica_LosN_It Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    :blushing: Hello everyone. I am new here and I love this group, already. I am 5'11" and my husband is 5'7.5". We have been together since we were 15 and 16 (21 years together). Whenever I was "skinny", it did not look so bad, but now that I am not "skinny" (lol), It feels sort of awkward:ohwell: .
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I am married to a shorter man. I am 6'0" and my hubby is 5'6". It doesn't bug me but I think it bugged him at first due to his friends and their stupid comments. But here we are still together (for 14 years now, married for 10.5yr). I have always weighed more but am getting darn close to changing that! :laugh:
  • ducklips
    ducklips Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11". My husband is one inch shorter. It's not a big deal, and not that noticeable unless I wear heels. What bothers me is that I weigh more than him. I weighed less than him when we first got married. Hoping to get back to that situation.
  • ethieman
    ethieman Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    LOVE the great stories on here :)

I'm 5'10" and have found that shorter guys with confidence seem to be really drawn to me. All through my early 20s I was like some of the women on here and wouldn't even consider dating them. Then I met a guy who is about 7" shorter than me who was really interested. I did some soul searching and decided that ultimately it was really dumb of me to be picky about something a person has NO control of whatsoever, totally genetic! Just like we didn't choose to be tall women, they did not choose to be short men. In my book, there are so many things that are much more important in a man, height is last on the list.
  • mermaidme23
    mermaidme23 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Totally a personal preference, but I tend to feel "cuter" with a tall man. Used to date shorter guys, but was always more attractive to taller men. I'm 5'10 and my husband is 6'4.

You have to prioritize what's important.
  • HermioneDanger118
    Options

Aww, I love that! :heart:
  • drkuhl2017
    drkuhl2017 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10.5" and my fiance is 1.5" shorter than I am. Personally, I don't mind and neither does he. It's all about confidence in both the man and woman.
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Dating a shorter man? I MARRIED one! He's almost 4 inches shorter than me. (I'm 5'11", he's 5'7")

Apart from always wearing flat shoes, it's no problem at all for us. Fortunately, he has a great sense of humour when I kiss his bald spot or ask him if he wants me to get things down off high shelves lol