new here

Options
hey gang, new to the site and group. i am definately a triathlete of tomorrow. I was a competitive biker 20 years ago, life happened and I find myself at 300 pounds, so I am a clydesdale carrying a triathlete i guess. I am working very hard to lose the weight (i have lost 70 pounds so far) and project hitting my goal weight by May of next year. Along the way, I feel like Ic an probably compete as a clydesdale in a sprint length.

Here is the kicker, I am not a strong swimmer and cannot run a 5K. All said though, I have an overall goal of qualifying for and finishing the Kona Ironman by the time I am 45 (5 years for anyone concerned). This is achievale and a big goal for me.

I am here to meet friends, share training and listen and learn.

Thanks!

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Welcome man!

I just finished my first Tri on Saturday @ 300lbs, it was the most addictive thing I have ever done. I can't wait to do my next one in 6 weeks.

No community is more accepting then the triathlon community, you will love it here.

I think that Kona is a big dream of any triathlete. I will never take anything away from anyone's dreams, just remember that Ironman/Kona isn't going anywhere, so take your time.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Aggressive goals there man. I like it.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Mmm, Kona. Can't wait to read that race review! (Okay, I guess I've got 5 years to wait, huh?) I enjoy the heck out of people who think big. Way to set that bar!

I know you're not asking for advice, so forgive me if I'm overstepping my bounds. My best bit of 5 year advice I have for you is: Enjoy your ride from now till then. Keep it fun, and make sure you're able to break your long term goal into smaller shorter term goals. While keeping it fun. (I'm a firm believer that people only do things that they find fun.)

I hope you stay on MFP through it all. It'll be a real joy following you along your "Couch to Kona" journey. If it helps, I went from couch to Redman (OKC, an unbranded IM) in 36 months. So although a challenge, I bet you can do it.

TriJoe.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Welcome
    I did ironman FL in 2001 and finished in 16:13, 2002 I missed the swim cutoff by 2 minutes..... I became inactive in the years following and Jan 2012 I weighed 206.... I'm down to 177 and setting my goal to do iron man Cozumel in 2014 when I turn 50.

Swimming was always my weakness, I did a side stroke my first sprint tri... learned freestyle and joined a masters group...right now I'm taking a swim class and working on endurance and hope to join a masters group in the fall

Biking was OK I did a century ride to train before and so far this time have done a 40 mile ride....but sounds like u got biking down.

Running I was training for the Chicago marathon, when I got talked into doing an ironman. So running was probably my strength back then, now I have a hard time running a mile, but just started running again this month, I run thru the park to the fitness center 1/2 mile stop and get water and catch my breath a few mins then run back. You could try a couch to 5 k program see if it works for you I didn't like the run/walk all that much ....

Good luck on your journey
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    WOW! I have to say that I really admire your goals. I think it is great that you know what you want to do and what your struggles will likely be. First, I think MFP is a great place to start. Working on your nutrition and weight issues is important, just like working on your workouts! For running, I think Cgirlish's idea about Couch to 5K is probably a good one. If you don't like that program, my other advice is simply to RUN. I find that my head tells me to stop a long time before I really HAVE to stop. In 2004 I joined a running group to train for a 10K. At the time I couldn't run but about 2 miles. The coach listened to me say that and said, "Well, I guess you just have to RUN! Run when it is easy and run when it hurt. RUN." At the time it seemed insensitive, but then I found that when I was out with the crowd, I did just that. I was too embarrassed to stop all together, so I just kept moving. As for swimming, that just takes practice. Get in the pool a lot.
    I am new to triathlons. I did my first two sprints within the last 2 weeks. It was great and I am looking forward to training for an Olympic. In the sprints I saw people or all ages, shapes, and sizes. It was such a loving community. You can do it! Keep it up! Log your food (even when you are bad), and log your exercise. Make it your habit to be here, read the diaries of "friends," and read the message boards! YOU CAN DO IT!
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Oh a few more things I've thought of. One is that your AG is super fast and super competitive on the whole. While I LOVE the aggressive goals I just like to throw a little reality out there. In your AG and with the growing number of Ironman events feeding into the static number of Kona slots it's going to get tougher and tougher to qualify. Two is find a triathlon club near you. Make friends. It's much harder to back out on a workout if 5 of your friends are going to be there.
  • bigboytriathlon
    bigboytriathlon Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks so much for the welcome. I apprecaite you all more than I probably show! @Scott091501 - great advice aboutt he tri club and reality check, it is truly appreciated. @vtate75 that is great advice to just run. It hink like in Forrest Gump, just run wherever I go. @Cgirlish - i think a C25K is a great idea. I was in the middle of one before life happened, and had just started week 4. Loved it. I think I am going to bike for about 20 pounds and then get right back into running the program. @Trijoe - You are always welcome to give advice. I appreciate those that have been there before me. As far as goals, absolutely agree, I should post my "gamepln" it has daily, weekly and monthly goals leading up to the ten big goals I have for myself (base jump moab, ironman kona, see my youngest graduate high school, etc).

Again, thanks for all the kindness! Please consider adding me as a friend if you are so inclined!
  • aggiesrar05
    aggiesrar05 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! That is an amazing goal! With time, the proper training and a crap ton of hard work you can do it (and have fun with it!!)

One other comment on the C25K, if you have a smart phone there is a C25K ap as well as if you like to run to music (well it's really not "music" but more of a techno beat) check out the podrunner series http://www.djsteveboy.com/1day25k.html It helps keep me going at a constant pace.

Good luck on your journey, I look forward to reading all about it!!
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck towards meeting your goals. My advice for now is to have fun along the way to your goal. Also look to see if there is a triathlon group in your area. The group is made up of both new and seasoned triathletes. My group offers different biking, running and swimming group workouts. Though I am still the slowest, I am learning a lot and becoming stronger along the way.
  • symegeer
    symegeer Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'd echo what was said about joining a tri club - they're so welcoming and I've made loads of new friends (plus training sessions are WAY cheaper). This forum is also a great way to record weekly goals and stay accountable to them. You'll be awesome, welcome to the club!
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Tri clubs are great from what I hear but do not feel that you must find and join one. I have managed to meet and surpass my goals with my own research and experiences and without the a club or team. Not saying I wouldn't join one if the right fit came about but for now I like going at it on my own.

Do what you think will make you successful!