How long....

Options
do you go before you get "back on the wagon" so to speak...

3 years ago due to an illness I lost 45 lbs in one month at that time i weighed over 170 lbs

I actually had to start gaining weight because I was getting so weak so anywho after that I
went three years before I started to gain any of that back I wasnt weighing or anything so

i got up to 157 as of February of this year, the dr's office weighed me and I guess I was in denial it would come back
that much anyways so since February of this year i had actually lost 20 lbs

give or take i will gain and lose the same 5 to 6 pounds on and off so I keep close eye on it if i know
I've done bad for a weekend or week I will weigh more than once that week and get back on track
the following week

like last week i was ill and didnt log what i ate didnt watch what I ate so I gained bout 4 lbs I have the next
two weeks to lose it before vacation and I wont be able to weigh while I'm gone so i know when I return
I will be yet again trying to lose that 4/5 hopefully that's all i gain LOL

so i guess what I'm saying is I wont go past a week of not eating right and logging before I get straight again
because I know in one week i can gain 5/6 pounds and it will take me 4-8 to get it back off

Replies

• jmcdaniel0
    jmcdaniel0 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Well I am the exact opposite, my wife is a lot like you... The whole on and off thing...

As for me. I am either 100% committed or i am 100% off the wagon... I don't seem to fall of and on, I am either on and driving, or rolling in the dirt...

Right now, i am on the wagon all the way... I have short and long term goals for this, so Hopefully I can maintain and obtain those goals.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I'm a little longer in between wagon rides. In 1994 I lost 35 pounds (and my ex-husband - win-win). Between then and 1999 I gained that back plus more (including my current husband, who has loved me thru thick and thn).

In 1999-2000 I then lost 75 pounds, then we moved, got new jobs, got busy with kids, and I gained back that 75 plus MORE to get to 263 pounds. In Sept 2010 I got back on the wagon and it took me 17 months (to Feb of this year) to lose 100, and I've lost another 5 since then.

I hope to remain on the wagon now!!! The friends I've made here have really helped me to stay motivated and inspired, for sure.
  • scott1080
    scott1080 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    right now im way off rolling down hill because im recovering from surgery and cant exercise and im eating bad...but when im hard charged and working out im doing great but usually when i hit a 10lb gain then i get my butt back in gear
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    2 years ago i lost 40 pounds (mostly due to a breakup though), then gained it all back. (i blame all dressed chips from canada!)
    i tried losing it last september but didn't have a support system.
    now i have a friend that lowcarbs with me, and it is much easier.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I am like Daniel in most ever aspect of my life its either black or white no gray area for me is how I have always put it. I have battled my weight more or less for 40 years. I want go into details but I had a very abusive childhood both physical and mentally during a time when there wasn't the resources there are today to deal with such.

Food was a source of comfort it didn't hit me, it didn't put me down, it didn't make me feel useful or like dying. It was the one thing I could control. It was not until decades later and many overweight pounds that I realized the food was controlling me rather than me controlling it.

The first success I had with losing weight was when I was pregnant. Unlike most people that gain weight when pregnant I lost weight during my terms b/c it was during this time I actually listened to my doctor and went by his advice concerning my diet. Once I delivered I continued losing by watching my diet and working out. Everything went well until I stopped going to work out at the gym then slowly but surely I begin to regain the weight.

I am not sure how many time I dieted and regained btw that pregnancy and the next one but I usually tried about once every year to year and half. I lost close to 75 pounds but my husband kept telling me my stomach was getting bigger. I know it will sound crazy but that was when I realized I was again pregnant. I again lost weight while pregnant and by the time I delivered I was down close to 100 pounds. This time around though I didn't lost much more after I delivered and I wasn't into working out at this time so it wasn't long before the weight began to creep back up.

After I am not sure how many years went by as I continued to yo-yo repeatedly as each result left me weighing more and more. Each time I would decide to do something about my weight my ex-husband would find ways to get me to cave in and give up. Don't get me wrong I know it was me but having support as we all know by now is a very very important part of success and that was something I never had at any time.

About 10 years ago I began another stage of the battle when my first marriage came to an end. While I didn't continue to lose weight I did maintain the lose for several years before it began to return after moving 2600 miles and remarrying. In 2006 while in the middle earning my BA I was most blessed to learn I was again expecting. I once again lost weight but not nearly as much as with the first two pregnancies. As I concentrated on finishing school the bottom fell out of teaching in WA and I found while I had accomplished my dream I could not find a teaching position and my weight crept up once again.

In 2010 we lost my father in law and decided it would be best for our youngest child and our finances to move back to my home roots. Upon returning home and finding a teaching position my weight began to go down. It has been two years and while it has not been a lot I have continued to drop a little here and there.

As a 51 year old mother of a 6 year old this continued losing without trying has given me the motivation to try and do more healthy eating and working out. I am not looking for a miracle. I realize this has been 40 + years adding this weight and it will be I figure a couple of years making it to my goal, but this time I do believe I can do it with the support of my family which is something I have never had in the past.
  • michelletr
    michelletr Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    this last time i was on the wagon for a couple months...and i fell off for a couple weeks...so this is by far my shortest time off the wagon....but i am turning 35 in september and to celebrate my hubby is sending me to vegas for a week with my best friend...so i REALLY wanna start losing the weight again
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    Options
    I wasnt on a wagon for many years.

In high school I stayed active (didnt think much of it til now).
    I was on drill/dance team and played softball which kept me fit.
    I weighed 140. My Sr year I was in a car accident & injured my knee...
    and it was all down hill after that.

From the time I graduated til 3 years after, I continued eating the same way but I wasnt active anymore.
    The weight piled on! I ended up weighing 220 lbs. [THAT'S 80 LBS IN 3 YEARS!!!!] :noway:

Had to do something about it.
    I hopped on a wagon with a personal trainer
    dropped 40 lbs.

Then came my surgery.
    I rested for about 6 weeks, then got super lazy.
    I didnt wanna cook, and I most definitely didnt wanna work out.
    Gained 30 lbs back!

Now my knee bothers me more, I have high cholesterol, varicose veins in my right leg...
    No bueno.
    Im back on the wagon after about 6 months.
    Hopefully I can stay on... if only I dont have these soda kicks anymore.
    Those are killer.