Hey Wagoneers

Options
LOL Ok so with the holidays coming up and yep I said holidays I have
my birthday next week, anniversary couple days after that and then
two family members birthdays PLUS Vacation and July 4th picnic
WHEW all within the next two weeks...how does one who is on the wagon stay ON the wagon???????

If I go off the wagon for a week i normally gain 4-6 pounds so I do not
want to come back 12 lbs heavier no way no how

I mean realistically
it would be foolish of me to say I'm going to Puerto Rico for vacation and watch
my calories I doubt theres any of the food I'm going to be having even listed
in our database here, eating just half of whats on my plate is not going to
work either that's never worked for me. It's an area where they are not going
to have restaurants with "grilled" or healthy options

the birthdays I'm not really sweating over yes I will have piece cake on my
birthday cake lol but I won't indulge at the other parties

so mainly its the meals while I'm away the one holiday 4th july im not worried about
just mainly vacation

so anyone have any tips other than engulfing tons of water before i have every meal?

Replies

• Sabresgal63
    Sabresgal63 Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Ok......................:heart: this is what you posted on your face page: have couple illnesses that keep me feeling poorly no energy what so ever, sit all day due to my job would just like to lose couple pounds, get active and see if that helps along with what my doctors are trying for me.

My suggestion is to print that out and tape it somewhere that you can read it all of the time. We easily forget why we are doing what we are doing and the reason we forget is because most of the junk we pile in our bodies is like mind controlling drugs...lol! Also.....take a picture of yourself as close to naked as possible and keep it with you and if you are happy with what you see, then eat what you want, but if you are not happy, stick to your plan.

On vacation, birthdays and any other special occasion, its ok to have some of the goodies, just don't over indulge. Take a small portion of something and walk away..............far away and focus on something else, like going out where ever you may be and having loads of fun:bigsmile:

Its not easy trying to live healthy and clean.....remember, it took years of abuse to create the problems we all have.......but with time and effort, that can be changed around.....good luck to you!
  • HURLEYX3RO
    HURLEYX3RO Posts: 269
    Options
    I just recently got back from vacation.

I spent a week eating mexican food, fast food, etc.
    (San Antonio, TX)
    I even had adult beverages, and soda.

But along with all that eating and drinking I made sure for whatever beverage I had I drank 2 glasses of water for it.

All of our "vacation activites" involved... well... activity.

Lots of walking, climbing, standing, swimming, etc.

When I came home my plan had worked since I drank my h2o and walked most of the days I didnt gain a single pound... I didnt lose either but at least I didnt have to start over.
  • TArnold2012
    TArnold2012 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    One week into my journey went went to New Orleans for a short (5 day) vacation. I clearly didn't want to blow what I had already began and at the same time didn't want to ruin everyone else's day by always saying we can't eat there. I had Chinese, Beignets, Frozen Cafe Au Lait, and even 1/4 of a serving of bread pudding. I drank nothing but water with the exception of one Margarita at Margaritaville.

Where ever we ate I made the best choice for me at that location. In addition I had not started an exercise program yet but getting out and walking for hours as we enjoyed the local attractions I logged for exercise. And even though I was uncomfortable I made myself take my swimsuit out of the suitcase and went swimming on the day I felt was was surely going to make me go over my calories.

When it was all said and done I didn't go over except one day and that was only by 10 calories. This was a victory for me !!!

After returning home on Sunday weight in day came on the following Thursday. I was pleasantly surprised with a 9 lb lose. I will add that is for two weeks as I only weight in every two weeks but it was still a victory in my eyes. Any other vacation I would have ate anything I wanted without thought and no way would I have done any exercising.

So what I am saying is make the best choices you can, drink lots of water, be sure you take in equal amounts of potassium and sodium so you won't bloat, and try and take advantage on a change of exercise scenery.

Btw we leave again tomorrow for another mini vacation again to New Orleans for four days this time. I am going to take that swimsuit out of the suitcase more than just one day this time around and do more walking. I have also started JM30DS and I will be taking the computer and weights so I won't miss my workouts. We will return Sunday and leave again the following Wednesday going to Memphis for five days. Now way am I going to fall off this wagon for three plus weeks and undo my wonderful beginning. :happy:
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    forgo the unhealthy sugars/white carbs, and stick to proteins and veggies for 2 meals a day. for your third meal, eat whatever! it is vacation after all! try not to drink all your cals. (have vodka and diet coke instead of a daiquiri)
  • beccahummel423
    beccahummel423 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am going on vacation next week too & have decided to just treat it like it is any other week. I'll be at my family's home on the coast so I'll have a full kitchen, etc. I'm going to wake up Sunday morning and pre-journal my week like I always do. My exercise will consist of walks on the beach. I'm going t skip the fruity frozen drinks and go with Crystal Light & vodka if I want a cocktail or two.

We can do this!
  • gin_gin
    gin_gin Posts: 184
    Options
    thanks Sabresgal63!!, so tru,e tired of feeling that way that should mean more to me than
    a moments gratification of anything I could eat never really thought that way before thanks
    for helping me see that
  • gin_gin
    Options
    ooh New Orleans well you did good considering the food choices there

hope you enjoy your trip :)
  • gin_gin
    Options
    we are actually staying two places during our vacation one I had my hubby get with fridge and micro
    so i could do breakfast and lunch at the room figure if i could eat reasonable twice a day the third
    meal maybe wouldnt add so much.

puerto rico is so HOT drinks are a must thanks for the crystal light vodka info!

have fun on your trip!
  • gin_gin
    Options
    I'm thinking maybe i'll take pic of all my foods and be accountable for and show you guys what
    im eating LOL

theres gonna be no way i can log the foods i eat there i've tried looking them up here on the
    database and online

so i'd be visual logging lol
  • TArnold2012
    Options
    Well I am sad to report that this weeks trip feel through but in all things God has a plan. Today I received a call for an interview for a teaching position for next year. If I had been in New Orleans I would have missed the call and maybe the spot. So I am thankful that he has all things under his control !!! I am excited for Monday the position is teaching Social Studies which is my favorite !!!!!!!
  • gin_gin
    Options
    That's awesome, good luck monday!
  • jmcdaniel0
    jmcdaniel0 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have to San Juan many times, There happens to be many many great grilled/ braised chicken dishes that aren't too bad for you. Obviously moderation is going to be your biggest friend here. Take it easy on the beer and rice, and load up on good lean proteins, drink lots of water, and you really should be just fine. I have faith you can do it!
  • gin_gin
    Options
    thanks for your support :) i have couple places we are to eat that im worried about but hopefully that's just two meals out of the whole trip Ruth Chris and this italian place next door to our hotel 4 cheese pizza eeek lol

oh and gelato its everywhere

i think i'll be okay hoping not to gain more than 3 lbs while im away but we'll see how it goes
  • jmcdaniel0
    jmcdaniel0 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    You are good to go at Ruth Chris... assuming it is the same restaurant as I have here... its a Fancy smancy Steak house yea? Just eat a smaller steak, you know not the 20oz porterhouse, a smallish potato(if you just gotta have it) and salad.... No big deal... What I usually do is take half of the bacon/cheese/croutons that5 comes on salads and just put it to the side... You can eat out successfully... just gotta think about what you eating. as far as the gelato, your on your own lol!!!
  • gin_gin
    Options
    lol well I"m happy to say I only had Gelato One time! i did however gain 3.9 lbs on my trip, but no worries, I know I can lose it again.

over all the places we ate at primarily had the same options/food rice n beans lol Puerto Rican bread was my down fall I didnt have but one or two alcoholic drinks whole time i was there so did good at that as well.
  • TArnold2012
    Options
    Glad to hear you had a good time :happy: I tried gelato for the first time while in Memphis a couple of weeks ago. It wasn't bad I just wasn't overly impressed. We are heading back to New Orleans bright and early Saturday but after that we will only have one more mini and summer will be over :sad: I am still on the wagon and actually had a NSV today. I got up feeling like I could bit the head off nails, angry with no reason. I suspect it had to do with a test that I had to take this afternoon. I have high test anxiety :explode: I finished the test and went for an hour plus walk, did some shopping, went to supper, Chinese but made good choices and stayed under my calories. Then when I got home I did my exercise. In the past I would have made bad choices at the Chinese restaurant and then snacked the night away. :bigsmile: