Close to giving up...

Options
Hi everyone,

I am new to this group, but long time sufferer of PCOS. I found out I had it about 4 years ago, but have had it most likely all my life. I am 25 years old, and weigh roughly 290 lbs. I am married to my highschool sweetheart and we have been together nearly 12 years. We never worried about getting pregnant until we had been together about 6 years and I had never had a pregnancy scare. We were only 20 yrs old and werent trying, but had never prevented it either. After a while we thought something might be wrong. Come to find out I had PCOS. We were devestated. We nearly lost our marraige over it. We both want a big family and the realization that it may not happen ever, is a constant strain on our marraige. I want to be a mother more than anything, but I have been trying for the last 6 years and no signs of a happy future full of kids. I am at my wits end. I see success stories, but I fear I will never be one of them. I have tried metformin, diet, exercise, low glycemic diet, bulemia, chlomid, and tons of home remedies. I am now trying the Insulite PCOS system. I have lost about 9 lbs so far, but still no regulation of cycles, or any signs that its getting better. I am beginning to lost hope. I hope that with support or shared stories of success I can keep fighting this.

Replies

• powellfam2006
    powellfam2006 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have pcos and with my first and only I was on clomid. They checked hubby to make sure he was ok first so we knew it was just me. I think I took 3 rounds and in June which was actually 6 months of trying on meds I found out I was pregnant with my 1 and only. We want number 2 and I am having the issues you are.. I haven't been on anything since Ali was born and nothing...I went on Clomid last June and I had to go in for scans and they never showed any ovulation and it never worked for me. I am 33 and probably at the end of my fertility years. I contstantly kick myself for waiting so long in between. Have you tried femera? They put me on that in January and I think it worked, but I never made it in for a scan beccause dr. was out of town, and due to husband issues... we decided to put the meds on hold for a while. I don't have issues keeping the baby it's just getting pregnant....Have you thought about the invitro. I know there are a few other things you can do that are not as evasive and less expensive. I think we had decided if it got to the point it was just not meant to be, but we have 1. If we dind't I would want to do what I could to at least have 1. Wishing you look... and never give up what you want. I know its really hard on a marriage if you want a baby and can't have one. I know it depresses me and makes things hard sometimes....Good luck my dear!! It will happen!!! fingers crossed for you!!
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    We are also currently trying for #2 but I haven't had a period in over five months. I am on Metformin for the last 2 1/2 months and I've lost 17 lbs. The first time, I lost like 10 lbs. and boom, first cycle I was pregnant. That obviously didn't happen this time! Like Powellfam, I'm feeling like one might be it at this point.
    Anyway, I sympathize with you. It is frustrating, depressing, and totally unfair.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!!! 9 lbs, although awesome, is likely not enought weight loss to get your hormones back in check. Normally when I hear about people losing weight and getting pregnant right afterwards, they've lost a somewhat larger amount (of course it depends on how overweight you are.) Remember, the excess fat on your body creates excess estrogen which in turn can cause the polycystic ovaries. So the less fat, the less excess hormones, the more likely your ovaries will get back to creating only functional cysts (the good kind that release eggs.) Keep up with the weighloss, it likely will yeild the best results, and if anything you'll feel better about yourself- stress and anxiety can cause fertility issues too.
  • mistresseeyore
    mistresseeyore Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I thought I might not be able to get pregnant for different reasons than PCOS when my hubby and I got married. (Extensive XRays as a child and I thought I was fried.) He dated, fell in love, and married me anyway. We had our miracle 2 1/2 years ago. Never give up hope. We've pretty much decided to try Clomid maybe in August or December, but have realized that our son is truly a miracle from God that was prayed for before we got pregnant with him. If you work on relaxing and realizing that having children can or can't be a blessing it might make it easier on your marriage. If they come, awesome blessing, if not you still have your marriage and the foundation of love. Don't stop just because it isn't happening as fast as you would like. I didn't get pregnant with my son until I was 33 years old.
  • dreamin2bethin
    dreamin2bethin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS 6-7 years ago. At that point it wasn't time to talk about kids but as I got older it was on my mind more because I want kids. I am currently on metformin and ortho-cyclen (generic kind, its cheaper!) and I have lost 72 pounds. I NEVER had regular cycles when I was overweight and taking medication. I started to become more active and change my diet and BAM hello periods. My fiance and I are going to talk to the doctor when it gets closer to our wedding, we have already talked about me possibly not being able to have kids and adoption is a possibility. We have talked about all of this and laid it on the table. We talked about our insecurities and how it might be the most difficult thing we ever go through. We really need each others support and comfort. Just try to not give up and really lean on your husband for support and comfort. I know it must be stressfull but try to not let it be, stress/anxiety can cause our cycles to mess up and fertility issues as well.
  • angelraguel
    angelraguel Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Please dont give up! please go read my story that I have just posted. The good news is your still young (fertility wise) I say over 30 starts getting scary fertility wise with PCOS Your only a stone heavier than me, mines coming down and yours will too, just keep at it, we have to keep going whilst we can and were young. add me if youd like :)