Help! or, Is this strange?

Options
rlwart
rlwart Posts: 47 Member
Okay, so I have calculated based on the online BMR calculators, but I also have a BodyMedia armband that calculates based on me. According to this thing, at 188 lbs and 5'3" ... drum roll here, I burn about 79.4 calories per minute while I'm asleep.
I got this by finding my cal/min from 1AM-7AM while I was mostly asleep, 476 calories burned. Then I divided the number by 6 hours, and multiplied by 24 hours This means my BMR is 1904. Seriously? How can it be that much?

Replies

• rlwart
    rlwart Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Okay, so I have calculated based on the online BMR calculators, but I also have a BodyMedia armband that calculates based on me. According to this thing, at 188 lbs and 5'3" ... drum roll here, I burn about 79.4 calories per minute while I'm asleep.
    I got this by finding my cal/min from 1AM-7AM while I was mostly asleep, 476 calories burned. Then I divided the number by 6 hours, and multiplied by 24 hours This means my BMR is 1904. Seriously? How can it be that much?

Also, on average from March 2 through today, my calorie burn is 2546.

Does that mean I'm supposed to be eating more?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Sorry this is so late.

I will mention on the BodyMedia / BodyBugg methods.

They start with calculating your BMR of course, they have your age/weight/height, so it's not the more accurate weight/body fat BMR figure.

Then over several nights they look avg heat output of body, somehow see the difference in air temp supposedly, to see the difference and how much heat you are putting out. That and your the calc'd BMR now form their value of MET, which is still based on BMR.

It can be more accurate than plain BMR calc, but then again, if overweight, they are starting with BMR value that is already inflated, and adjusting from there.

But in general, yep, that is likely where your BMR really is. And I'd say for days of no exercise but normal daily activity, pretty accurate.

But those devices underestimate exercise calories that is different than walking/jogging, or more intense than avg.