Houston Pride Weekend

Options
atomiclauren
atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
Anyone checking it out? Any recommendations of who to see/where to go?

Replies

• atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Bump! Parade starts at 8:15!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I didn't go this year. Hope you went and had fun!
  • bhankiii
    bhankiii Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I was going to start a topic about this, and found this one. I went this year for the first time in my life - I'm kind of a suburbanite and don't much like traffic or downtown. I live out in the Clear Lake area and work at JSC. Last year we started an LGBT group at JSC and this year it became an official NASA organization, and we had a booth and marched in the parade. The group also marched last year, but at 270 pounds I didn't think I'd make it.

I spent the day putting NASA tattoos on handsome young men - best job ever. I will be back next year for sure.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is that I'm old enough to appreciate what a big step this is. When I began my engineering career back in the early 80's, being gay and working on a government contract were incompatible. I knew this because there was a sign in our office that listed all the things that would cost you your security clearance. Number 3 on the list was:

Sexual perversion - i.e., bestiality or homosexuality.

Needless to say, there were no out gays then, no LGBT organizations, etc. It wasn't a huge burden to me since I wasn't out at the time - and wouldn't be until many years of unhappy marriage, depression and drug abuse - but that's another story.

But now - I came into this job completely out, I bring my partner to work and work lunches, and my boss asks me for decorating advice. My, how times have changed.

Anyhow - back to the topic of Houston Pride - here's a video I put together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3n9YC5PqZY&list=UUJGO5a37OHsZG5cUgyLC4pA&index=1&feature=plcp