Vegan on the road?

Options
redraidergirl2009
redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
As I mentioned before, I'm going on a trip with my family for a few days, unfortunately this also means attempting to be vegan on the road and out of a hotel. I plan on bringing my own travel friendly snacks like stashing some grapes in our cooler and bringing some nuts in my bag but eating out is where I seem to have the most issues with keeping things vegan friendly. Does anyone have any tips? I'll also be getting my fitness (piloxing) certification on this trip so I'm not sure what to have for breakfast that day but it needs to be something good that will give me energy for a hard work out.

Replies

• BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    http://www.happycow.net/

They also have a Droid app; I would assume there's one for I-phone, as well.
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    The best breakfast in the world is oatmeal! And it is easy to make at a hotel, since most have boiling water available via an in-room coffee maker or a coffee/tea station in the lobby. Bring some instant oatmeal with you and a bowl or tupperware, just add about 1/4 cup oats and 1 cup boiling water, and let it sit. Mix in some raisins or another dried fruit, some non-dairy milk (like soy or almond), sweetener if you need it, cinnamon, and for extra protein you can add a tablespoon or two of peanut butter (so amazingly good!!!). Alll of these ingredients travel well, except maybe the non-diary milk. You can get individual sized soy milks at some stores, and they don't need to be refrigerated before being opened.

I have also made grits in hotels in basically the same manner. I just add some soy milk and some spices (I like cayenne pepper in mine!).

The Happy Cow app is awesome! I have it on my Droid and I use it all the time! I also find that Asian restaurants are a good bet (especially Thai food, yum!), and many burger places carry a veggie burger these days.

Hope this all helps!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    The best breakfast in the world is oatmeal! And it is easy to make at a hotel, since most have boiling water available via an in-room coffee maker or a coffee/tea station in the lobby. Bring some instant oatmeal with you and a bowl or tupperware, just add about 1/4 cup oats and 1 cup boiling water, and let it sit. Mix in some raisins or another dried fruit, some non-dairy milk (like soy or almond), sweetener if you need it, cinnamon, and for extra protein you can add a tablespoon or two of peanut butter (so amazingly good!!!). Alll of these ingredients travel well, except maybe the non-diary milk. You can get individual sized soy milks at some stores, and they don't need to be refrigerated before being opened.

I have also made grits in hotels in basically the same manner. I just add some soy milk and some spices (I like cayenne pepper in mine!).

The Happy Cow app is awesome! I have it on my Droid and I use it all the time! I also find that Asian restaurants are a good bet (especially Thai food, yum!), and many burger places carry a veggie burger these days.

Hope this all helps!

Ahhh I completely forgot our hotel has a free breakfast thing downstairs. I remember it having oatmeal I think and even soymilk. Thank you for reminding me about that! I think I'll bring some sliced almonds to throw in it or I'll buy one of those personal sized microwavable oatmeals just in case they don't have it. Thank you!
  • sphyxy
    sphyxy Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I third the Happy Cow app!!!
  • runcrissierun
    runcrissierun Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Happy Cow for sure! I always bring a blender ball and some Vega One and Amazing Grass with me to be sure I always have something available. Granola, seeds, and small hummus packs are always good too. It helps resist the urge to pick up junk food! Good luck, and enjoy your trip.
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    For this very reason, Subway is probably my favorite restaurant in America.

I know, I know... but it's so true.
  • dittmarml
    dittmarml Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    OK, in order:

1) Happy Cow app
    2) Oatmeal, other cereals, fruits at the breakfast bar. Grab a loose apple or banana if they have them there to take with.
    3) Eating out - Subway, steak places - yup, believe it or not, unless you're grossed out by the idea they have baked potatoes and "side" veggies most of the time, and many have salad bars; Wendy's (salad bar...make that anyplace with a salad bar); many 'ethnic' joints - chinese, thai, sushi (veggie only), indian, mediterranean...
    4) If you know where you're going, call ahead. Tell them you're vegan and ask about options - explain your diet is "completely plant based - no dairy, fish, meat or poultry" - and ask about veggies, bean dishes, potatoes, rice, salads. Learn to look for "sides" - even seafood places usually have a veg or two and a potato. I sometimes order the potato then dump the veggies on it, ditto salad.
    5) If anywhere near a Whole Foods, hit their food bars for ready made - look for "Health Starts Here" items on those bars as these are usually (not always) vegan and relatively low fat. Expensive but sometimes works in a jam if you're near one - that's usually "major metropolitan areas" though.

Hope this helps!
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    ... and many burger places carry a veggie burger these days.

This is true and great for vegetarians, but if you are a strict vegan, know that many of these veggie burgers do have some dairy or eggs in them. Subway is testing 3 totally vegan burgers in Washington DC, so let's keep our fingers crossed that they go over well and wind up going nationwide!
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    ... and many burger places carry a veggie burger these days.

This is true and great for vegetarians, but if you are a strict vegan, know that many of these veggie burgers do have some dairy or eggs in them. Subway is testing 3 totally vegan burgers in Washington DC, so let's keep our fingers crossed that they go over well and wind up going nationwide!

I always ask the ingredients in a veggie burger for this very reason-- plus I can't eat gluten, either (almost all faux-meat products have wheat in them). I am lucky to have found two different places in my neighborhood that make their own veggie burgers that are not only vegan, but also gluten-free. I just ask for them on a bed of lettuce instead of a bun!
  • adamcrisis
    adamcrisis Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I travel for work a bunch. My saving graces are cliff bars and maybe some bulk mixed nuts and fruit that keeps well unrefridgerated like bananas and apples and such.

Good luck
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I love Happy Cow! another phone app is VeganXpress. this app tells you what to order at chain restaurants.

A lot of hotels have free breakfast and they almost always have apples and oranges. A lot of times they have instant oatmeal which isn't usually vegan (b/c it's flavored) and they don't have non-dairy milk often, either.

Everyone else had great tips about ordering, good luck!