Will be newbie to cross fit and need help with something...

Options
Hi all....will be joining the local cross fit here in the next couple of weeks....never done it before and wondering? Can you wear a normal gym shoe? Or does one HAVE to wear a "cross fit" shoe? I'm excited for this venture because I hear cross fit is truly a "family" and I definitely need that in my workout exploits.... I'm really looking forward to success.... Thanks for any answers and looking forward to supporting whoever else needs it as well... :bigsmile:

Replies

• tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    When I started CrossFit, I wore my running shoes and that was fine. After awhile though my running shoes started feeling too bulky so I got some New Balance Minimus shoes for CrossFit. But you should be fine with a normal gym shoe. Have fun!
  • mhounsell
    mhounsell Posts: 11
    Options
    Tabbychiro:

Thanks....I think ill start with a regular gym shoe and work up to a shoe for cf....sounds kinda like what you did.... I've been reading shoe reviews and the minims shoes got a lot of good write ups....I'll have to check them out.... Thanks for the info... I appreciate it..!
  • FloEd
    FloEd Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I too started in running shoes (in January) and got some Inov8s for Mother's Day :-) The main reason I wanted to stop using my running shoes was for the lifting. It is much harder to lift in the running shoes with high squishy heels.. Given all that, I think you'll be fine to start in your current shoes and you can try lifting barefoot to see if you feel a difference.

Welcome to Crossfit! I hate exercising but I love Crossfit.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    been wearing my little 10 dollar shoes from walmart the entire 2+ years I have been crossfitting. Yeah, crossfit specific shoes would be nice, but I'm not spending 100+ when 10 works just fine.
  • dunc289
    dunc289 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Probably don't want squishy running shoes when lifting.

Barefoot, or any cheap sneaker will do really. Converse All Stars are fine.

For toes to bar, I like to wear Clown Shoes though.
  • mhounsell
    mhounsell Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses....gives me a good route to start on
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I only wear chucks. I have several pairs, but for crossfit I usually wear these ones
    wwchuck.jpg
  • FloEd
    FloEd Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Ok, those are awesome! :happy:
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Agreed! Best sneakers - ever! haha love em!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I love my adidas adios. I tried the new balance minimus but they pinch my foot.

i LOVE THOSE CHUCKS! If I could find a pair like that, I'd wear them!!

Haha, clown shoes!!
  • nil8r
    nil8r Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I purchased a pair of Nike Free TR shoes for walking around a video gaming convention and it turns out they are a good non-bulky sneaker for CrossFit.

Here's what they look like:
    http://www.holabirdsports.com/nike-free-tr-fit-lady-bluewhite.html?utm_source=Google_Base&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=Nike Free TR Fit Lady Blue/White&utm_campaign=Google_Base

Start with whatever running/cross-trainer shoes you have and then you can decide what is best for you.