Alternative to GPS Apps

Options
Frannybobs
Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
Hi all

I have an HTC Desire mobile phone and I use Endomondo and absolutely love it. However, the GPS is extremely unreliable and sometimes I can't even get it to work so just ride and it frustrates me as I like to check on my progress. I've tried all sorts of apps which are supposed to troubleshoot and resolve GPS issues, but I think it's a large problem with many of the smartphones.

So I'm thinking of getting a proper GPS watch or computer for the bike. Does anyone have any recommendations? Also, are there ones where you can get them to map out cycle routes (UK) or anything like that, as my navigational skills are poor and it would be good to know where I am if I go off-road!!

Blimey - this biking lark can be an expensive hobby - but I don't care - I'm really loving it!!

Cheers,
Fran

Replies

• KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi Fran!

I had this Dilema a couple of months ago, my phone that I had been using Endo on for over a year started playing up so I decided it was time to go for something a bit more dedicated to the cause.

As a cyclist, Garmin is really the only name I know that manafacture GPS enabled bike computers. I got myself a Garmin Edge 305 new from Ebay at a fraction of the cost because it was a couple of years old, I will never look back now, it gives you a wealth of information about your tracked route, you can pair it with an HRM sensor and even cadence (RPM) to give you even more info. You can create your own courses and follow them against a map, or line, depending on which one you go for.

This is an example of the last ride I did with it running, http://connect.garmin.com/activity/188701167 - you can see it gives you loads of information and options. You can even upload the Garmin files to Endomondo so you could still take part in their challenges, that's what I do.

I could sing the praises of my Garmin all day long, at the end of the day, I upgraded for the same reasons you are asking about. Garmin can be a little pricey, it really depends on what you want from it, they have a good range, starting from new at about £100

Happy riding! It is an expensive hobby but worth every penny in my opinion! :smile:
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Garmin is my go to company. The 305 is a great computer.
  • Chicagobikeguy
    Options
    I also have (an older) Garmin Forerunner 305 and love it. Its a wrsit GPS that can also be used for running.
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Brilliant. Thanks all - a few friends I've asked who are into fitness (cycling, running) have said Garmin are the ones to look at, so I will definitely look into it

Do any of them have the cycle routes that you can download to them - so in the UK the Sustrans Cycling Route type maps?

Cheers again :)
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Garmin! I have the 405, my husband has the 500 (which is not a watch-style one) and we both love them.

You can create routes on the garmin connect software it comes with, and load them to your device. So it'll give you turn left / turn right type directions. Honestly, I've never done this but I think my husband has.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I bought my husband a Garmin Edge 500 for his birthday. ****ing expensive. $250. But he's training for a big race and he wanted the heart rate monitor (so he can see what his heart rate is doing on long climbs and stuff).
  • Frannybobs
    Options
    Spent quite a bit of time looking into it the past few days and have settled on the Garmin Edge 800, I am a real tech and gadget lover and love data. That's why I love Endomondo so much. Garmin Connect seems to have all that and more, my colleague showed me his data from bike rides he's done. I also like that you can get Open Street Mapping on it. I'd get the one with HRM and that means I can get it for £275 online....need to check out my finances but I am so tempted to get it as I know I would get a lot of value and use from it...