Fuel Belts?

Options
I am currently in the beginning of training for my first marathon.
I did a half last Oct and when I run I just hold a 16 oz water bottle in my hand.
I was wondering, since I have never ran more than 13.10 miles (without fuel stations (: ) if I should get a fuel belt.
I never used gels or anything when I was training for my half.
On runs longer than five miles now I will have a teaspoon of honey before I go.
So i'm wondering will I need a fuel belt, and if so, which kinds could y'all recommend?

Thanks in advance (:

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of fuel belts but instead use a hand held one that is super comfortable.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=37057&Click=310393&gclid=CMOllLz96bACFUdlfAodFx5A1w

I barely notice it and I hate carrying stuff.
  • RunEloiseRun
    Options
    Thanks.
    I am worried about a belt weighing me down and I am already used to carrying a water bottle in my hand.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    All this is just personal preference. I ditched my fuel belt years ago. I like handhelds. I have 10 oz one and a 20 oz. , I usually take the little one and stop at a drinking fountain to fill it up as needed.

Everything feels good in the when empty, but the real test is when they are full. If you have a friend who has a fuel belt, perhaps they can let you try a few miles with it full.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    i'll mail you mine. i hated it from the very first run. Arc is right. it feels way different when it's full. it's all personal preference though. i just don't like the feeling of something around my hips when i'm running.
  • RunEloiseRun
    Options
    I have never had anything on me while running.
    I don't know any runners around me. (I really want to join a running group too.)
    Dane, I may take you up on that offer! (:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You need to meet some runners!
  • RunEloiseRun
    Options
    You need to meet some runners!

Agreed!
    When I was working at the 24 Hour Fitness around me, I thought i'd meet some runners but NOPE.
    I might try to creep around the boards or maybe post a new topic on here.
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    i like my fuel belt. i have a fuel belt with 4 water bottles, worked perfect during my full mary training.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I have a fuel belt and I find it uncomfortable when the two back bottles are full. However, I find it more uncomfortable to be dehydrated on a long run.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, I don't really run with a lot of stuff.

If you just need something to store a small amount of food, try the SPIbelt. It is sleek, thin, and doesn't shift while you run. It's also expandable.