Saw something for the first time this weekend

Options
catherine4211
catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
I was in Los Angeles with my daughter for the weekend. We went to Ralphs (grocery store) to buy some snacks. I was in line behind a young girl and in front of her was a younger(ish) man. He actually made small talk with her while in line and after he paid he kind of hung around until she was done and talked to her. In all my 43 years of life I have NEVER EVER actually seen this happen in a grocery store. I hear stories you guys have told about meeting people in grocery stores but I had never seen it with my own eyes. Now I won't get started on how I wished it happened to me and not her...............

Replies

• Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    wow...grocery store? i was hit on at a club that used to be a grocery store!!! does that count? LOL
  • RunningDirty
    RunningDirty Posts: 293
    Options
    I had someone I thought was hot as hell blatantly hit on me in the Fresh Market while I was buying Pancetta after the gym and I completely blew it. Crashed and burned. I think it's because I always wanted it to happen so when it actually did I flubbed it massively and not only was I embarrassed for myself, I was embarrassed for him having to experience it with me. :smokin:

To feel better I just told myself it wasn't meant to be. :laugh:
  • catherine4211
    Options
    wow...grocery store? i was hit on at a club that used to be a grocery store!!! does that count? LOL

heck yes it counts!!!
  • Showgirlbody
    Showgirlbody Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I rarely see that either. Then again, I look like crap when I run errands so try not to make eye contact and look completely unapproachable. lol But I don't usually see it happen to other people either, everyone is minding their own business or talking on the phone.

One time when I was in college an older Pakistani man basically asked me if I was looking for a husband. Other than that, I've rarely been approached in public period for small talk or anything.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I had someone I thought was hot as hell blatantly hit on me in the Fresh Market while I was buying Pancetta after the gym and I completely blew it. Crashed and burned. I think it's because I always wanted it to happen so when it actually did I flubbed it massively and not only was I embarrassed for myself, I was embarrassed for him having to experience it with me. :smokin:

Umm.. story?!
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Ive meet women at the gym, gas station, Dr. Office, ex-wife's job, bank etc., but never at the grocery store. Women are always looking kinda serious at the grocery store. I don't approach women when they look real serious. Like the OP I've never even seen it done either. But my gym is like a singles bar its always hooking up going on in there.
  • RunningDirty
    Options

Umm.. story?!

I stopped to pick up some random stuff for a recipe I was doing for a welcome home party and we made eye contact in an aisle. He kept looking at me, but was on his phone and then said "hey man, I gotta call you back." Then I felt like he was in my space and he was, but I was in sweaty gym clothes and got disheveled so I went to the counter to order Pancetta, so then he tapped me on my shoulder, smiled and asked, "what's pancetta?"

Here's the crash and burn:

Me: "What?"
    Him: "I just was wondering what pancetta was."
    Me: [long, awkward, blank, staring pause with reddening face...and I'm Irish so it must have been really, really bad] "I don't know." Grabbed my pancetta and hauled *kitten*. Never looked back. There went that fantasy. :laugh:
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options

Umm.. story?!

I stopped to pick up some random stuff for a recipe I was doing for a welcome home party and we made eye contact in an aisle. He kept looking at me, but was on his phone and then said "hey man, I gotta call you back." Then I felt like he was in my space and he was, but I was in sweaty gym clothes and got disheveled so I went to the counter to order Pancetta, so then he tapped me on my shoulder, smiled and asked, "what's pancetta?"

Me: [long, awkward, blank, staring pause with reddening face...and I'm Irish so it must have been really, really bad] "I don't know." Grabbed my pancetta and hauled *kitten*. Never looked back. There went that fantasy. :laugh:

Are you kidding me! You had the opening to a Penthouse Letters story and totally crashed and burned! Better luck next time!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    I've had a few smile and hellos at the market, but never a full on meeting.

My grand-father (88 years old at the time), told me he'd met this lady at the market and was trying his hardest to find her phone number or address. He had her name, but didn't ask for her number at the time. It was a little stalkerish, especially since he'd enlisted his friends to help (Asheboro isn't such a large town that he wouldn't be able to find her). But alas, he still hasn't two years later.
  • RunningDirty
    Options

Umm.. story?!

Are you kidding me! You had the opening to a Penthouse Letters story and totally crashed and burned! Better luck next time!

It happens. I don't mind an occasional crash and burn...builds character. :drinker:
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I have been hit on in the grocery store once. I was sick as a dog and on a mission for cold meds, oj, and popsicles. Guy came in saw my tattoo and comment that he was too afraid of needles to get one (strike one I don't date whimpy guys), asked what I did and said I told him (this is back when I did sub-prime mortgages) and of course the usual response is "oh you can help me..." so I say "Only if you have bad credit" and the guy said he did, WTF, (strike two). I finally get rid of him but then he finds me later and I am like "dude I am sick, leave me alone" and he goes on to tell me about being in a fight the night before. Really come on.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options

What IS pancetta anyway?
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    What IS pancetta anyway?

It's a salty cured pork most closely like bacon and more expensive...assuming you really wanted to know, haha
  • catherine4211
    Options
    I have been hit on in the grocery store once. I was sick as a dog and on a mission for cold meds, oj, and popsicles. Guy came in saw my tattoo and comment that he was too afraid of needles to get one (strike one I don't date whimpy guys), asked what I did and said I told him (this is back when I did sub-prime mortgages) and of course the usual response is "oh you can help me..." so I say "Only if you have bad credit" and the guy said he did, WTF, (strike two). I finally get rid of him but then he finds me later and I am like "dude I am sick, leave me alone" and he goes on to tell me about being in a fight the night before. Really come on.

Well at least you got a story out of it!!!
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i was talking to a girlfriend about this on saturday! i was speaking more about the brief encounters that you wished could last a bit longer. basically, her brother in law was in town, and we met pretty much in passing. the introduction was ilke nothing i have ever experienced before though. he was standing on the sidewalk, next to his mom's car, holding his niece.

i walked up and not only did he look me in the eye, but he held my gaze the entire time it took me to walk up to him. full on eye contact. he didn't look away even one time. that right there made me want to talk him more. cuz seriously that rarely happens! we were introduced and were still staring at one another. it took him a couple moments and then stepped forward, switched his grip on his niece and extended his hand. i have to say, i was very attracted to him.

i left at that point, but then heard we were all having dinner together that night. so, i though maybe i'd get to speak to him. he ended up on a biz call and got to dinner late. he did keep catching my eye off and on while we were there, and he smiled every single time he did...... my friend, her hubby ( his brother), their kids and i left early and went back to her house. i told her i would love to talk to him about what he did for a living ( it's actually really cool!) and she tried to get him to open up a little and speak........

it didn't really flow though, and i was packing up to leave. before i left her house he did sit next to us and just kinda listen in. apparently he's been telling his brother and my friend that he wants to meet someone WITH kids...... interesting, LOL! he did tell me he'd see me in the morning ( when i was coming back to her house to say good bye), however he wasn't there when i showed up and said my good byes and left.

those missed moments i kinda don't like. like catching someones gaze at the gas station or in a parking lot, and then you both go about your biz. and i'm not talking just the random eye contact, i'm talking the one where you know you're both checking each other out.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    What IS pancetta anyway?

It's a salty cured pork most closely like bacon and more expensive...assuming you really wanted to know, haha
    See, that wasn't so difficult.

The closest thing I've ever had to a pickup at the grocery store, I commented on how busy it was to a girl that was passing by, but then she stopped and smiled and I got nervous and ran away. I couldn't think of anything else to say.

I think someone might have been trying to pick me up at a clothing store once, but I assumed she was just asking me for advice on what to get for her boyfriend or something.
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I can answer that question on here because I'm a foodie who assumes you want to know, not thinking of it as anything but a question. If that actually got asked in a grocery store, I'd assume the same...but then I don't pay attention to cues either. Had a guy approach me in Meijer once... Totally freaked me out, but I gave him my number and then was too in shock to return his call( he actually did call!). I'm such a wimp, haha!
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I guess it really isnt an urban myth!!! WOW
  • BelMckenzie
    BelMckenzie Posts: 249
    Options
    I read this topic yesterday and I went to the grocery store last night to pick up food to cook tonight for the guy I'm dating. Well, low and behold I got hit on at the grocery store. I ordered shrimp from the meat counter and a guy walked up to me and said "wowsa" (who says that??) but anyways we chatted for a bit and talked about what I was making and he implied he would love to try it- well I told him instead where to get the recipe and thanked him for chatting and went on my merry way.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options

OK, I'm intrigued. Can you expand on this? Could be a good learning experience for all of us...:wink:

--P