Oh sweet baby jeebuz - bike p*rn

zoom2
zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
Waterford. I never felt any great lust for steel...until I saw this.
6838655216_8831d188ae_z.jpg

Replies

• mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    wow! Hadnt heard of waterford, but they're great looking bikes. I used to have a colnago master with nice lugs, but it was a bit too small ...
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Looks... heavy :tongue: :laugh:
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
    Being of "a certain age" and of the era where hand cut lugs on a nice silver soldered 531 or 753 or Columbus frame were something to aspire to, that looks really, really beautiful. If I ever decide to go for a old-school Tourer, I always promised myself i'd get Mercian to do something of that nature for me, made to measure...
  • KitTheRoadie
    KitTheRoadie Posts: 641 Member
    Nice 'lugs'!! :laugh:
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    My dream is to have Waterford build me a custom lugged frame and fork out of Reynolds 953, that is stainless.

Alas, the pricetag for just the frame and fork would be near $5,000. That is the price where N+1=N - S. N being the next bicycle and S being my spouse.

So, I'm gonna settle for a Raleigh Sojourn in Reynolds 631. Maybe I'll pin-up the pictures of Waterford's Lugs.

BTW, Waterford is the true Schwinn as Waterfords are built by Richard Schwinn as well as the non-lugged frames (Gunnar). I'll at least own a Gunnar on which to do the Paris-Brest-Paris unless another custom steel frame usurps Gunnar's place on my wish list.
  • TDSeest
    TDSeest Posts: 1,089 Member
    That is pure beauty. Reminds me of my first, and current wife.
  • zoom2
    My dream is to have Waterford build me a custom lugged frame and fork out of Reynolds 953, that is stainless.

Alas, the pricetag for just the frame and fork would be near $5,000. That is the price where N+1=N - S. N being the next bicycle and S being my spouse.

So, I'm gonna settle for a Raleigh Sojourn in Reynolds 631. Maybe I'll pin-up the pictures of Waterford's Lugs.

BTW, Waterford is the true Schwinn as Waterfords are built by Richard Schwinn as well as the non-lugged frames (Gunnar). I'll at least own a Gunnar on which to do the Paris-Brest-Paris unless another custom steel frame usurps Gunnar's place on my wish list.

I wish Gunnar made their CX bike small enough to fit me. My dream bike would be a custom Seven titanium Mudhoney with disc brakes with road wheels/tires and beefier cx wheels/tires that I could easily swap as needed.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    That looks like some beautiful work. I do believe it would look nicer in a more muted finish though, more of a pewter finish than a chrome look. But that's just me.
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Looks... heavy :tongue: :laugh:

It's not. They use very light steel. After a back surgery and years of getting beat up on aluminum and carbon, I prefer steel in my old age :happy: (I do have a very old steel Bob Jackson that is indeed heavy; she's relegated to errands on flattish terrain since she only has 5 gears!)

I ride a Gunnar and maybe, just maybe, someday will have a Waterford built for me (but I probably won't be able to afford lugs like that). Waterford did a wonderful job with my custom paint. And they are AWESOME people to boot.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Dear, Lord. Waterford has 4 different custom lug styles - four! I agree the Flame has drawn me in like a doomed love-stricken moth. But do check out the "neuvo-coco" lug. http://waterfordbikes.com/w/bikes/lug-styles/neuvo-coco-custom-lugs
  • zoom2
    I think the Empire ones might be my favorite (after the flames).
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Considering I can't afford any of them at the moment, this is sheer torture!
  • bikechic61
    bikechic61 Posts: 39
    that almost looks like a musical instrument
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    ride 1 hour outside
    spend 4 hours cleaning/polishing