Exercises with a Newborn!

evelyncook
evelyncook Posts: 2 Member
Hi Ladies,

I just had my daughter, Colbie, on 06/08/2012. I was hoping that you wonderful ladies would have some tips on exercises that I can do in the house especially holding her (she is in the "don't you care put me down or I will scream bloody murder stage"). I can't wait to start running again!!

Replies

• Most doctor's will say wait until your six weeks postpartum. I started out with walking so that's what i would recommend. Congratulations on your baby
  • DuchessVB
    DuchessVB Posts: 10
    Congratulations on your newest family member! Walk (a bunch!), baby yoga, and strength exercises. I did a lot of lunges and stretching while holding my wee one. There are some great videos on youtube, just search baby exercise. Good luck!
  • mycrazy8splus1
    mycrazy8splus1 Posts: 1,558 Member
    check out momy and me videos http://mommyandmeworkout.com/studio-owners-instructors.html. I love working out with my baby
  • evelyncook
    evelyncook Posts: 2 Member
    thank you so much for all the advice!!!1
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Sorry, I am late to this one -- I just started checking this group out even though I joined a month ago --

My son was colicky for the first 4 months so it was a nonstop screamfest. I actually think I lost some hearing in my left ear (I am a righty and I would hold him on my left shoulder). I would recommend these things:

- If you haven't checked it out yet, techniques in The Happiest Baby On The Block will help you with the screaming which in turn helps with EVERYTHING EVER.

- A carrier that you can strap onto your body, not just a stroller, if you don't have one. I have a moby wrap and an ergobaby carrier. The moby wrap was great when my son was really small (he was in "newborn" sizes until 3 months) and the ergo came in handy later (basically, at 12 lbs). I attribute every scrap of sanity I have left after colic to the moby wrap!!!

For me, when I was ready, I started going for walks with him in the sling or carrier. He didn't like it for too long at first so it might be a short walk twice a week, but that is okay. Now (at 7 months) he's like, addicted to my walks, and I can go for an hour and a half -- he watches the sights, falls asleep, takes a bottle, it's all there for him. If you are a SAHM you may be able to eventually go on kinda long walks, and with baby in the carrier its a bigger calorie burner than you might expect.

You can do it! :)
  • punkgirl
    punkgirl Posts: 2 Member
    Hi Ladies,

I just found this app for my iphone called Daily workouts. There is a free version along with a paid version. You can pick to do a complete body workout or just a specific area. It also allows you to choose how long you want to work out for. So if baby only sleeps for 10 minutes you can do a quick 10 minute workout. I downloaded the full version and I can't wait to go home and try it tonight once baby goes to sleep. Wish me luck!