more on PROTEIN. How much is enough for a crossfitter?

Options
rainbos
rainbos Posts: 75 Member
First: A digression: Maybe I am missing something but the "reports" on MFP website are stupid compared to the awesome and useful charts, pies, and tables per day, week, or month you get on the MFP android app. Go figure. Anyway, from MFP app (not the website), I see that I get on average 55 grams of protein per day, for the last 2 months. The MFP app also tells me this is 18% of my diet (other than carbs and fats, which are about 50 and 30% each).

So how much should I be getting?

I just checked the crossfit.com boards and looks like we are supposed to get 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass per day.... So if I'm 142 pounds, and assume I'm 18%, that means I need to eat 115 grams of protein per day. HOLY ****?! I'm really far off from that number. I already eat 3 eggs with cheese almost *every* morning. Is this why crossfitters have to take protein shakes? (BLEECH!)

But I have been doing the 55%/30%/15% carb/fat/protein breakdown that is "recommended" by MFP. Is this not accurate?

Weigh in! I wanna hear what you think. THANKS!

Rain

Replies

• Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I set my goals to 35/35/30% P/C/F, I don't have any problems hitting the protein without protein powder but I eat alot of meat.
  • dunc289
    dunc289 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 CFP for me.

Seems to be doable, but I've found over the last 2 weeks that getting hung up with proportions and food groups has only given me a lot of headaches.

So I just eat whatever I seem to be craving, lo and behold, I'm sane, happy, and full.

Be nice to add thinner to that sentence, but not at the expense of the first 3.

All MFP has done is stop me from being a glutton.
  • rla099
    rla099 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I do btwn 50 and 100 g of carbs for weight loss. When I get to where I want to be, I will do 100 to 150 g to maintain. I just play with the percentages to get to that amt of carbs. The rest I split btwn fats and carbs. I find that for most ppl 50% carbs is way too much.

I eat about 110 g of protien and I have to eat meat for snacks and in meals. eggs are good too.

I dont use shakes either but I have been thinking about it for days I don't meat (haha) my needs.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    40/30/30 CFP is what is recommended on the main site nutrition page. It's what I'm trying to go by for now. I may take it down to 35/30/35 CFP though. or 30/35/35 to just cut down on my carbs... We will see, but for now I'm sticking by what Crossfit HQ says is good to.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I load up on protein and stay really low on carbs because I am insulin resistant.
    I'll aim for something like this in a typical day:
    Breakie: 6 egg whites with 40-50 g spinach, grapefruit or strawberries
    Lunch: 170 g chicken or lean meat, 70-100 g of veges
    Dinner: 170 g Meat, green salad with basamic and EVOO

snack - protein bar like Quest Naturals coconut cashew/ tbsp of almond butter/greek yogurt & berries

I love cheese... so I'll likely add cheese to at least one or two of my meals.
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

I don't how much of bacon is too much? I usually eat 4 to 6 bacon strips daily. My muscles are growing in a rapid process. I believe it is because of the bacons and paleo diet, and doing the crossfit.

I just sent an email to Marksdailyapple to see how much should I eat the bacon's grease. I usually eat some of the bacon's grease during the day to minimize my cravings and it works. If you know the answer to this question, could you be mindful to share that with us?

Thanks!
  • rainbos
    rainbos Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't how much of bacon is too much? I usually eat 4 to 6 bacon strips daily. My muscles are growing in a rapid process. I believe it is because of the bacons and paleo diet, and doing the crossfit.

I just sent an email to Marksdailyapple to see how much should I eat the bacon's grease. I usually eat some of the bacon's grease during the day to minimize my cravings and it works. If you know the answer to this question, could you be mindful to share that with us?

Thanks!

That's a REALLY good question. My guess is that you may want to check your cholesterol levels.

But I dont know, and I'd like to know. Somewhat related, there is a study out comparing low fat (highest in carbs) versus Atkins versus low glycemic diets, saying that a calorie is not a calorie, but it does matter where it comes from. A low-glycemic diet includes moderate amounts of fiber-rich beans, lentils, non-starchy vegetables, fruit and whole grains, as well as lean proteins (fish, skinless poultry, whole soy) and healthy fats (nuts, seeds, avocado, vegetables oils).

The low fat diet (Isn't this the Jenny Craig diet?) did the worst in terms of health outcomes. The low carb diet (atkins, higher in fat, like yours) had the biggest boost in total energy expenditure, burning about 300 calories more per day than those on the low-fat diet—about the same as an hour of moderate exercise! So that may be in your favor. BUT that increase in metabolism comes with a cost: increases in cortisol, a stress hormone, and a measure of inflammation called CRP, which can raise the risk of developing heart disease and diabetes.

Those on the low-glycemic-index diet burned about 150 calories a day more than those on the low-fat diet without any negative impacts on cholesterol levels or various hormones, making it the ideal diet.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304458604577490943279845790.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

....and this article makes the best case for cutting refined/processed flour/sugar products:
    http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/26/which-diet-works/

Rain