Volunteer

Options
So I took the advice of a new friend and havbe volunteered (signed up to) at a few up-coming triathlons in my area. I am on the tab for the Ironman 70.3 Championship in Henderson, the PumpkinMan in Boulder City and the HITS Lake Havasu in November.

This is probably a pretty good chance to check them out from the other side, Anyone here volunteer on a regular basis? Also, anyone coming to Vegas / Henderson for the Ironman Championship?

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I volunteered for 3 years leading up to my first triathlon on a regular basis. I have volunteered at 3 iron-distance races and that is a great day...

You will love every minute of it, I promise you that....
  • realredhead79
    realredhead79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'll be at IMFL volunteering this year in hopes to sign up for IMFL 2013~
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I haven't volunteered yet, but the organization that does a lot of tri's around here just started a volunteer program where I can earn the equivalent of $8/hr credit towards an entry into another race they organize. I've heard it's an excellent way to learn more about the small details, especially transition.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    volunteer in Hawaii IM and planning on volunteering in Racine 70.3 next month, doing checkin and kayak swim support.

Connie
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I volunteer quite a bit. I bring along as many of my 3 daughters as I can. I enjoy the heck out of race day, even if I'm only spectating. With the girls along for the ride, I get to let them see how exciting and wonderful racing can be. It's working. They're each catching The Bug. Their favorite place to volunteer is a run course water station. The girls are proficient at proper cup handling techniques. The bike course is great too. I hold off cars, while they direct the racers. My personal favorite is bike in/out mount/dismount. The girls keep asking if they can be on swim detail one day. I don't see that one happening any time soon...

But I digress. Volunteering is great. It gives back to a sport that wouldn't happen without other peoples' help. You get the chance to not just cheer friends on, but actually help them race well. And it lets you see just how other people do it. It's actually a great way to watch the sport in action, and learn from viewing.
  • carolinagirl7
    carolinagirl7 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I love volunteering as much as racing. I volunteered at 2 half marathons so far and one sprint tri. Enjoyed every minute of it!