Hilarious First Date Mix-up - Had to share!

Options
meagalayne
meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
OK So I haven't got any peeps in RL to share this with, but I just had to write it down. Laugh away!

I went to meet a first date last night. Was supposed to meet on a patio at 7:30pm, he said the table would be under his name and the server would know him so just ask when I arrived. Great. Of course, the subway/traffic suck and I am late (yea, not a great first impression, I know...) so I text that I'm running late - no problems. He asks my ETA I tell him a few minutes, he says he'll see me there. He had to give up our table because I wasn't there, but not to worry.

I arrive and there's a pretty good looking (tall, handsome, around the right age) guy at the entrance, sitting on a bench. Sweet. This looks great!

I go up, smile, he smiles back. Flirty eyes galore. Sweeeet.
"Hi - How are you doing?"
"Good. How are you?"
"I'm great - sorry about traffic, it took me ages to get in from [city I live in]. It took nearly 1.5hours on the highway because of rush hour traffic"
"Why were you coming from [names city]?"
"Uhhhmmm Because that's where I work/live...? Didn't you read my profile at all?" - laughing, at this point
"Profile? What, are you on some kind of POF date?"
".... No? :huh: I'm not. I'm meeting a friend's friend." Awwwwwkward. At this point I think maybe he's just screwing with me.
*guy hold out his hand* "Hi, I'm Brent" (not my date's name)
"Hi, Meag" Awkward again.
"I'm actually on a first date. You may not want to tell yours about this encounter"

:noway: Bahahha! Totally almost picked up the wrong guy. Turns out my date was slightly less confident and good looking. But still not a bad date.

What a laugh! :laugh: Anyone else ever picked up the wrong online date?

Replies

• oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Lol, that's so cute! :) Never happened to me before though, lol.
  • will010574
    will010574 Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Did you at least get the wrong guy's number?? Or the first guy? You know what I mean!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Forgot to mention, I totally thought my actual date was just putting me on. And that "Brent" was really just a big joke. He was waiting for me to cave and call him out.

And so I was texting my date as I waited to say "Hah! Brent? That's the best you can do?" as the real Brent was being seated for his date. Right before hitting "send" the guy I was actually meeting came over and introduced himself. Imagine how awkward THAT would have been!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Did you at least get the wrong guy's number?? Or the first guy? You know what I mean!
    He was waiting for his own first date. I think that would have been a little taboo :laugh:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    haha! 2 for the price of 1 ! :bigsmile:
  • Carl01
    Carl01 Posts: 9,370 Member
    Options

^^ This
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    He was waiting for his own first date. I think that would have been a little taboo :laugh:

Not at all, it would of been a great end to the story!
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Daisy_Cutter Posts: 774
    Options
    LOL .. this is why I ALWAYS ask something about what they're wearing.. or if we're meeting in a parking lot to go in somewhere I ask what kind of a car to look for.

This is my worst fear! Glad to know it wasn't "that" bad! I agree, you should have gotten the wrong/first guy's number!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Yes! I did this before I realized that "proper dating etiquette" was to wait outside for your date. I was waiting in starbucks and there was another guy just standing around. He looked a lot like my date from Match, but he didn't approach so I wondered if maybe he didn't recognize me (curly hair ya know, lol). I go to the bathroom, text my date that "I'm here" and get a "me too." I go back and he's still standing there smiling at me but no approach so I ask if he was so-and-so. Nope. We start chatting and hit it off. He says whoever I'm meeting is a lucky guy, and heads to his car. I get another text, and go outside to see if my coffee date is texting me from his car. Not-It Guy gets out his car and starts walking toward me, and that's when my date shows up. He'd been on the side of the building (why??). TBH, I almost wish he hadn't shown up! The other guy seemed much more down to earth.
  • Silver180
    Silver180 Posts: 294
    Options
    I like this story. I think it's cute :)
  • meagalayne
    Options
    I like this story. I think it's cute :)
    It was! Had it ended with a match with 'Brent' it would be one for the ages!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    That's funny, so you just saw a guy on a bench and assumed he was your date? Didn't you see pictures ahead of time?

I had a first date once where the girl showed up first, but she didn't bother to text me or anything to tell me she was there. I walked in and I didn't recognize her, mainly because she only had two profile pictures, one was blurry and the other didn't show her face. That and the fact that she sat at the far end of the bar with her back turned to every one.

We figured it out eventually, but this is a good rule on first date etiquette. Text when you get there to let them know where you are. And apparently ask if the person is indeed the person you cam to meet before you just start talking to them.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    :D Has the makings of a rom com.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Suddenly, I'm reminded of this: http://youtu.be/q7qOwkMVIeE
  • Steelheart7
    Steelheart7 Posts: 1,056
    Options
    LOL .. !! You are a brave girl meeting someone you had never seen!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    I had seen pics, but I naturally assume everyone online is a liar.

Then again, maybe I was just hopeful because this guy was *more* attractive than the pics online! :laugh: Both men were pretty good looking, however.
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Haha!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Great story! I think you should have gotten Brent's number too, but I wouldn't have had the courage to do it either.

I'm doing good to meet one good looking guy, let alone two! Good job!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Haha!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Great story! I think you should have gotten Brent's number too, but I wouldn't have had the courage to do it either.

I'm doing good to meet one good looking guy, let alone two! Good job!
    Oh courage I have, but I actually thought he WAS my date playing a practical joke while he was being seated by the hostess. I almost called him on it! :laugh: I would have made a *total* scene.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options

it would have been adorable. and a GREAT story for the grandkids...
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. This is my greatest fear with online dating - I always show up early to have the upper hand.

Once, though, I was on my way to meet up with a girl at a bar. A redhead - easy to spot, right? I walk into the place and there are two redheads sitting by themselves having drinks.

I flipped a mental coin and picked one. I got lucky.