new to pcos

Options
Knash82
Knash82 Posts: 9 Member
HI ladies, my doctor just put me on metformin, and I'll be starting with 500 mg tomorrow. Trying to overhaul my diet at the same time so that I don't experience many issues.

Can someone give me a list of carbs to avoid? if yogurt, quinoa, ok? I bought quinoa in an effort to get some more protein in my diet.

I'm not good with dieting, so anything you can list that is a no-no would be great, and what I can eat, suggestions would be very helpful!

we are currently TTC, so I'm hoping this will do the trick!

Replies

• NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    With PCOS it is advised to eliminate white carbs, such as, bread potatoes and rice. Limit your consumption of any and all sweets. I did not give it up, I just strictly limit the quantities. You definately want to increase your veggie and lean protein intake. It works....I have a 2 year old little boy as proof!!! Good luck!!! It will all be worth it!!
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I still eat quinoa and yogurt; I just try to avoid simple carbs and straight sugar. Whole wheat pasta, full grain breads, no soda, etc. My glucose levels have improved greatly since taking metformin, losing weight, and reducing my sugar intake. I still eat way too much sugar according to MFP, but it's mostly fruit, which my doctor said is ok, but you may want to check with yours if they think it's ok. If I go crazy and eat a bunch of carbs and sweets one night, my stomach definitely feels it due to the metformin. I would suggest cutting back drastically on sugar when you start metformin, it seems to mess everyone's stomachs up for a while and the sugar seems to exacerbate that, but it will go away after a couple weeks.
  • Knash82
    Knash82 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies. Can you give me a list of 'to avoids'? Ice cream, pop, chocolate bars, etc? I do much better with specifics.

Thanks!
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    It kind of depends on what you like; really you should avoid anything super sugary that you are inclined to eat. For me it's cane sugar soda, candy, ice-cream, cookies, cakes, smoothies, and juice. I also try to make all my pasta dishes with whole wheat or quinoa pasta, instead of the enriched flower options. I think whole grain products are broken down slower than regular flower type products, so your body gets a steadier lower stream of carbs/sugar, rather than a sudden spike. I still eat yogurt, fruit, and the occasional portion controlled ice cream or candy and I'm fine. I would avoid the candy/ice cream upon beginning metformin though and slowly add it back if you want to and see how your digestive system reacts.
  • NJGmywholewrld
    NJGmywholewrld Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with Beth....I did not give anything up completely. I eat it within moderation. When it come to ice cream, my nemesis, I eat 1 serving of a half of cup. Chocolate, when I want any, I will eat a miniature. As for breads, I have went over to Natures Own Whole Wheat Sugar Free and I eat flat breads with whole wheat, oats and flax. If you are familiar with any Carb restricted lifestyles, I eat pretty similar-without doing without fruits and veggies.