Heart rate monitor

Has any one got one or even use one ? Was in Tesco yesterday and was looking at the polar FT 1 . My main use would be when I do my speed walks which I do 3 days a week . 5 miles in and hour and a half .

Replies

• sodaisy
    sodaisy Posts: 69 Member
    Try Lloyds Pharmacy, I bought mine for about £12.99 and it does what I need it to do. Cheap and cheerful.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    I have a Polar FT4 and love it. :smile:
  • furby1
    furby1 Posts: 114 Member
    I also have a Polar F4 and love it, shows Average Heart Rate, Calorie expenditure, Exercise Time, Maximum Heart Rate, Target Zone Limits and Time in Target Zone ,You also have a chest strap which I'm told is the best way of using a HRM.

I bought it new of ebay...best thing i've bought in a long time for telling me what cals i'm using as this sites suggested cals for exercises can be way of..:)
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    I had a Polar FT7 and loved it. Check the FT1 does give cals reading not all do.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Try Lloyds Pharmacy, I bought mine for about £12.99 and it does what I need it to do. Cheap and cheerful.

I bought this one too. Didn't want to spend a lot of money on something i might use for a month and then forget. Found it really good, and useful for pushing myself further. Does everything i need.
  • UphillBattleAxe
    UphillBattleAxe Posts: 57 Member
    I have the Polar FT4, bought it on Amazon, couldn't be without it, use it every day : )
  • slim104
    slim104 Posts: 160
    My only concern with buying one is whether the chest strap will go around my chest. My chest is 54" under my moobs and 58" on my moobs. Does anyone know if it will fit?
  • furby1
    furby1 Posts: 114 Member
    Just measured my polar ft4 strap and at full stretch it did 56 inches including the plastic monitor itself, which i think would be uncomfortable wearing it like that for any lengh of time...looked on the polar website and the xxxl strap which is the largest does from 44 inches......so sorry cannot help you more...the strap goes under your moobs...:)

I believe though that you can get HRM without the chest strap
  • slim104
    slim104 Posts: 160
    Well, I am going to get one anyway. It gives me something to work towards, making the strap looser.
    Thanks for checking the size out.
  • fredd500
    fredd500 Posts: 106 Member
    Generally the straps are only lengths of elastic, so you could probably easily modify one. All the electronics are usually in the plastic bit.

I have a Garmin FR60. A bit more expensive than some out there, but I don't really use the watch part. The strap communicates using the ANT+ protocol which I have a receiver for for my iPhone and a speed/cadence sensor attached to my bike. Using a compatible app on my phone (iBiker is my current favourite) the HR strap, bike speed and pedal cadence are mapped along with my GPS route and hill ascents and descents straight into myDigifit.com. This then sends the calories burned to my fitbit account and fitbit automatically gives me an adjustment on MFP to reward me for my exercise. I may be a bit of a gadget geek by the way!
  • adamsunman
    adamsunman Posts: 6 Member
    Have a look on the newer threads, there's a HRM coming into Lidl this week, if you want an inexpensive device to decide what you want displayed on there, might be worth a shout.