Hunter/jumper show clothes

Hey guys, I'm going to be doing hunter/jumper shows with my school's equestrian team this summer. Me and my pony have kind of a signature purple color; purple halter, splint boots, helmet, brushes, gloves, crop etc, and I wanted to bring that with us in the show ring.

I've never shown in classes that require show clothes (basically all the shows I've done were fun shows) and I was wondering if a dark purple jacket and grey breeches were okay? Most people wear the typical black/navy coat and tan breeches and I wanted to stick out a little bit, but I don't know if it'll work against me or not? What do you guys think?

Replies

• KCoyoteco
    KCoyoteco Posts: 51
    I'm not a hunter person so you can find someone better than me to answer your question. Since there isn't another answer, though, I'll say this. If you read the hunter threads at coth, you do get the idea that conservative and in style are very important. Eventers wear purple and bright colors, but I do not get the impression that hunters do that ever.
  • MexisMom
    MexisMom Posts: 249
    A purple hunt coat and grey breeches would stick out like a sore thumb. You are, of course, welcome to wear them as you wouldn't be breaking any rules, but I'll guarantee you get some looks. I'm not personally all that concerned about what others think of me, however I do appreciate and respect the more conservative and classic aspects of the hunter world.

If it were me, I'd go with tan breeches, a navy coat, and a pale purple show shirt.
  • mswank19
    mswank19 Posts: 2
    Yea, that's what I was thinking, I'll probably just stick with the navy and tan. It really is more about my horse looking good than me, right? Thank you!
  • MexisMom
    MexisMom Posts: 249
    Yea, that's what I was thinking, I'll probably just stick with the navy and tan. It really is more about my horse looking good than me, right? Thank you!

It is... but defintiely be sure to get a purple show shirt so you can have a little fun too. ;)
  • Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    I always thought that Hunter classes were tweed jackets, shirt and tie, fawn jodphurs and long boots?