Shin Splints from Crossfit Boot Camp?

Options
alissadough84
alissadough84 Posts: 95 Member
I have been doing Crossfit Boot Camp for about 9 weeks now, trying to get into better shape to transition into a fundementals/WOD program. I have noticed the last week that my shins are KILLING me. I think that I am getting shin splints :(. The only time that my shins actually feel good is when I am doing the boot camp, but the rest of the time they feel inflamed and really hurt.

Has anyone else gotten shin splints from Crossfit classes? I want to keep working out and push through it. Is that a good idea? How can I treat the shin splints so that I miss as few work outs as possible?

Replies

• cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I've only gotten them from excessive running and double-unders... there are two schools of thought that I found when I had them, either you rest entirely, or push through the pain. I tried the latter and it hurt like a son-of-a-bee-sting. So I stopped the running and double unders for a while and kept doing everything else and eventually they got better. Haven't had any problems since. But in the meantime, epsom salt baths, and tons of your favorite over the counter pain medication...
  • crashri
    crashri Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Try stretching and strengthening your calves, and that should relieve the pain and strengthen your leg so they don't come back. Also check your sneakers. When I used to play frisbee (yes I played it competitively), I knew it was time for new cleats when I would start to get shin splints..

Strengthening: Stand on the edge of a stair with the ball of your foot on the stair and your heel hanging off. lower yourself as far as you can while keeping the ball of your foot on the stairs. Then raise yourself up as far as you can. Do this one foot at a time. Seems to help for me.

Stretching: stand facing a wall and put the ball of your foot on the wall and your other foot flat behind you. Lean forward from your front ankle until you feel a stretch in your calf. Or, sit on a couch/chair and wrap a towel, cord, jump rope (whatever) under your toes. keep you heel on the floor and your knee bent and pull up on the towel (pulling your toes toward you shin/knee).
  • alissadough84
    Options
    Thank you guys so much!

I did buy new sneakers because I know mine were getting kind of old, I haven't used them yet, I am going to tonight though, maybe modify the workout a little if I need to.

I just tried the streches and they feel amazing! So I will work on doing those. I do not want to get these again!

Also, ice or heat? The chiropractor told me to ice them, but I should probably only be icing them if they are inflamed , right? (he told me to ice them all the time, but that makes them feel irritated). I mean I am sure that there is lactic acid in my muscles just sitting there? (I don't know much about this, lol). But if they feel good working out, I would think heat would be more beneficial since your muscles are warm when you work out. Right?
  • alissadough84
    Options
    Thank you guys so much!

I did buy new sneakers because I know mine were getting kind of old, I haven't used them yet, I am going to tonight though, maybe modify the workout a little if I need to.

I just tried the streches and they feel amazing! So I will work on doing those. I do not want to get these again!

Also, ice or heat? The chiropractor told me to ice them, but I should probably only be icing them if they are inflamed , right? (he told me to ice them all the time, but that makes them feel irritated). I mean I am sure that there is lactic acid in my muscles just sitting there? (I don't know much about this, lol). But if they feel good working out, I would think heat would be more beneficial since your muscles are warm when you work out. Right?
  • clovr24
    clovr24 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I would also try using either a foam roller or "the stick" on your calves. If your calves are tight, it can lead to pain in your shins - I was surprised at how much this helped me. (I have both, but I prefer the stick over the roller for my calves)