Survival

Options
I hope everyone survived this weekend! Stay cool and hydrated if you're without power!

Replies

• RavenhairedWoman
    RavenhairedWoman Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My sister and my dad's houses are still without power. I am one of the lucky ones, my power has only been out a total of like 25 minutes. Very blessed by that. I am looking for ways that I can help others who don't have power.
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    We got our power back last night but our neighborhood is pretty wrecked (I live in AA county in MD). Did anyone try to get gas on Saturday? That was a nightmare.
  • barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I am so lucky I did not lose power. I went out on Sunday and every traffic signal around me was dark, but people were actually stopping and being cooperative.
  • horror_hamster
    Options
    we were lucky out in Leesburg, our power never went out for more than 10 seconds at a time and then it only flickered for an hour or two. Once we left the town limits on saturday, however, it looked like it was the freakin' apocalypse! Trees in the roads, no traffic lights working, traffic was HORRIBLE and of COURSE it seemed like we were the only ones using the dark intersections as a 4-way stop like you're supposed to. Saw SEVERAL lines of cars just blow through without regard to the people waiting their turn. <shakes head> sometimes I think NoVA drivers are worse than anyone else. But then we were headed to Clinton, MD and realized NOPE everyone sucks at driving, apparently.

Hope everyone is safe and sound!
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I lost power for one day. I was prepared to set up in the basement to sleep with cooler temps. Here are my observations:
    - Gas lines suck. If this was a real emergency, we as a people are screwed.
    - I can't believe how many people were huddled around public places with electrical outlets and wifi.
    - Thanks to Verizon FiOS, we are now more dependent on powered mobile devices. Unfortunately, our mobile devices are becoming more dependent on power because of these large screens and over-powered processors.
    - Noon is a terrible time to grill but that was what I had to do to feed the family.
  • jenklive
    jenklive Posts: 10
    Options
    My power went out when the wind first started blowing. I sat in the dark and watched the storm come in. (It was actually pretty cool). But I still don't have power. Pepco estimates it will be restored by Friday at 11pm. :frown: Thankfully, my kids are out of town this week. My dog and I are staying at a friend's house. They just moved, so I'm earning my keep by helping unpack boxes.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    My sister got me gas Saturday morning while I was saving our spot at the only powered Panera in the area. :P We got power back really early Sunday morning and luckily lost virtually nothing in our fridge or freezers. The fridge was still cold when I shoved ice in there Saturday afternoon. We threw away the opened milks to be on the safe side. There are still areas near my house in Annandale without power...and the traffic lights being out worries me since people apparently forgot the rules if a light in out. *grumble*

If anyone still without power needs anything, let me know. We have two couches and a bunch of air mattresses. Plus AC, hot water, ice, and food. :)