Thinking about getting a gps watch

Options
kgprice11
kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
I am thinking about getting a Garmin Forerunner 205 GPS watch to track my running. Is it worth getting? I am fairly new running (only been running for about 3 months now) Should I wait a few more months or not. i would greatly appreciate opinions.

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you like to run outside I think any gps is well worth the expense. I used to run only a few measured routes because I like to keep records of distances and times to track progress. WIth the gps any route you run is instantly measured so it gives you a lot of freedom to run wherever you want and still get good data.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    205 is a great choice. It does everything you'll really need. I've been using one for 5 years or so.
  • scott091501
    scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Big Garmin fan here. The 205 doesn't track HR right??? I'd definitely pop for the 305 if that's the case.
  • Cgirlish
    Cgirlish Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I just got one because I got it used for $100, ($278 new) but if you have an android phone you can also download a free app called
    endomondo which is a nice way to track your miles and pace, I used mine with a armband phone holder and still use it when i forget to recharge my watch or want to listen to my music on phone...
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Costco.com now has the much more awesome 410 w/ HRM strap for $199 shipped!

I wish I hadn't spent $350 for a 610...
  • RunEloiseRun
    Options
    I use the RunKeeper app on my iphone.
    I used to use Nike+.

But i'm really looking at the Nike+ TOM TOM watch.
    But I just like gadgets and such (:
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Yep, a Garmin 205 is definitely worth the cost. If you want a HRM, get the 305 - I have it and I absolutely love it!

If you don't want to spend the money, there are a lot of great apps out there. Ditto to Runkeeper! I used to use it but hated worrying about my phone while I run.
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin...if you can upgrade to the 305 with HRM you should.
  • taureanbuddhist
    taureanbuddhist Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Costco.com now has the much more awesome 410 w/ HRM strap for $199 shipped!
    BJ's has the same special too:)
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice and what is BJ's hahah Im from PA
  • taureanbuddhist
    taureanbuddhist Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    BJ's is similar to Costco or Sam's Club...sorry lol:)
  • shmiracles
    shmiracles Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    i love my gps watch. i have the garmin 305 and i love it!!!!
    i recommend you get a gps watch today!
    it's very accurate, seeing my pace is extremely helpful, and being able to keep a consistent record of my runs helps motivate me and lets me know what's working and what isn't.
    in my opinion, it's a beautiful thing and worth every penny.
  • leeapeea
    leeapeea Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm with Eloise, I use my smart phone. There's a billion aps- most are free. I currently use MapMyRun, but I've also used the Running Ahead ap. Running Ahead also allows you to map out a course beforehand and manually record time, etc.

If you're not sure you want to invest, I'd download an ap and see how much you use it/like it. The folks I know with GPS's love them.
  • Kasya007
    Kasya007 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If you're the type that is all about the numbers, you will never regret buying a GPS watch. I picked up a Garmin 610 w/ HRM this past winter & have not regretted it. I use it for both my running & my cycling, it has never failed me (like some iPhone apps have) and is always accurate.

Happy trails! :smile:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I love my Garmin - being able to track my km/pace/hr etc on the computer is really cool.
    I'd say get it as soon as you can afford it, it's fun to look back and see how you've improved!

Just read the reviews and make sure you get the one that has the features that you need.
  • FatAssBecky
    FatAssBecky Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the thread. Thinking of getting the husband one for his birthday coming up but am clueless to them as I just map out my runs on Daily Mile. Thanks for all the feedback - never would have thought of checking BJ's for one.
  • ww123butterfly
    Options
    I love my Garmin. I have the 410 model which can have a heart rate monitor. I love the virtual training partner option. I just set it for my goal mile pace and it continually tells me whether I am ahead or behind that pace! I also have the foot pod so I can use it on the treadmill as well.
  • geeksrule
    geeksrule Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have the Timex GPS Global trainer (triathalon watch) - amazing watch for all 3 sports (waterproof for swimming including strap). I've only been running just under a year - but I found the watch well worth the investment.

That being said, my husband has a Garmin forerunner which works really well too however, he says the software for the Timex is far superior than his Garmin when you upload the info to the computer for statistics and maps. I'm not a techno geek (despite the username) but he's the engineer in the family.

Also if you have any sort of aeroplan/airmiles points - check what they offer!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I just got a new Garmin 410 from Costco for under $200 also, and am really pleased with it. It's an upgrade from my 405, sync's better and the HRM is way more comfortable with a better fit.
  • staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I just got a Motorola MotoACTV GPS watch. So far its been awesome.