Independence Day Plans

Options
cbeutler
cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
So tomorrow is one of my favorite food holidays.

I have plans to make this year different. To start I asked a buddy last minute to run an early 5k race. I would have found an excuse to take it easy, exercise wise. That means a light breakfast so I can run. I'm still going to the family BBQ but have an excuse to eat lunch before I go there. So one meal with the exercise I can handle.

What about you guys? How are you preparing for the holiday?

Replies

• MKLAMAN
    MKLAMAN Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Ive got a BBQ with my in-laws for lunch and then a BBQ with my parents and brother for dinner. In between we're going to our town's 4th of July parade. It is supposed to be 99 degrees. Fireworks sitting in our friends driveway who live close to the ball fields where they shoot them off from.

Luckily both BBQ's are at my house, so I control the meat. So I can make it work if I don't load up on too many sides.

My boss called me and gave me Thursday and Friday off so that was sure nice.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I am meeting my running group to run hills in the early morning then going for a 30-mile bike ride before noon. I am not doing all this to compensate for eating, I am doing it because I have the time and enjoy it. That being said, after the exercise I plan to pig out. I may or may not be under my goal. I don't want food to control my life either positively or negatively. I don't want to be restricted in my social activities because I am too fat to do fun things but I don't want to be restricted in my social activities because I live in fear of eating too many Calories on any given special ocassion either. It's one day in a lifetime journey. You've shown you know what it takes to do it right. Don't sweat it too much either way.
  • scloyd
    scloyd Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I'll start of the day with a early bike ride before it gets too hot (98-100 degrees tomorrow). I'm grilling for the family chicken, pork chops and bacon/cranberry brats. The side dishes are salad, corn on the cob and grilled sweet potatoes. Desert is angel food cake, Cool Whip Lite and strawberries.

No fireworks around here tomorrow. We haven't had any measurable rain for quite awhile and it's been so dry that most nearby communities are postponing fireworks 'til a later date. So it's going to be a quiet uneventful Independence Day.
  • teejayjancik
    teejayjancik Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hey there all!!

I plan on hitting the gym in the morning with my workout partner. Because of schedules we have not been able to get in a good workout together for a long time!! I would like to try to get a run in on my own as well tomorrow.

We are not doing anything too complicated or adventurous. Possibly spending the day with the in-laws and doing some grilling out. Then the fireworks at night! Should be awesome!!

The nice part is I have a few days off after the Fourth so I don't have to get up on Thursday too early!
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I plan on taking an early bike ride (4 miles) then will be heading to a poolside BBQ at the inlaws in the afternoon. I want to ride my bike there (8 miles) and catch a ride home with the lovely wife after the fireworks. All things in moderation is my food plan, and might even swim a little to burn extra calories to compensate for all the goodies and libations. Viva la Independence!
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Looks like everybody has thought this through. Have a great day guys.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I just did my circuit this morning and had a bit larger than normal breakfast. I might have a small salad for lunch.

Friends are coming over for dinner, so it's a beer can chicken in the Egg and half a salmon on the grill. The salmon was fresh off the boat, so it beat out the ribs. Also on the grill will be walla walla onions, tomato halves, squash and bell pepper quarters. My wife is making a layered berry parfait with marscapone.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    So how did everyone do today?

I was over, but not by enough to get too worried, and I was pretty active with the kids. So much better than the past.
    I hope y'all had a good one!
  • chesh1520
    chesh1520 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Had a great 4th! Went on a 15 mile bike ride in the morning, then ate not that great and had a few beers. Shot off a few fireworks with the kids. I stayed under by limiting the amoint of brisket that I ate, but still squeezed in a little cake and homemade ice cream!
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Too much alcohol, sun and heat, but overall didn't hurt myself too bad.