Introductions

Options
Topsking2010
Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
Hello,

Please take a few moments to talk about what types of wine you enjoy. Also tell us a little about yourself.

Herb

Replies

• macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I'm the first one to join, and my profile pic is of me and my husband in a winery! I hope the wine connosuer joins this group so we can ask questions of her!

My name is Patti. In reds, I like Pinot Noir and Merlot. In whites, I like Chardonnay and Pinot Grigio. I've been to Napa Valley a couple of times and most recently found a vineyard and winery in Arkansas. Not as nice, but still fun to do wine tasting. For nightly drinking, I've been going with Robert Mondavi because it's not as expensive and it only has 95 calories per 5oz glass.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Patti,

Thanks for joining the group. I also gave you authority to edit, so feel free to add a picture to our banner page.

Thanks

Herb
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Hi! My favorites are Ruinite Lambrusco, Roscato Rosso Dolce, and Sutter Home Moscato. I usually have a glass after dinner 2-3x/week, but occasionally indulge in a second glass. :-)
  • mmarcy7
    mmarcy7 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hi! I used to drink mostly Pinot Grigio or Reisling, but since I'm trying to be healthier I have switched to red wines. My faves are Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon. But honestly, I'll drink about any wine. I live in Michigan and there are tons of great wineries here. I'd love to go to Napa Valley sometime too. I have cut down on the wine drinking a bit lately but all this talk of wine has made me want a glass. :drinker:
  • kcox4166
    kcox4166 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love Moscato, so far my favorite is Sutter Home. On a recent trip the Smokies I tried Cantina Bianca and it is also wonderful, on the sweet side. I have tried to acquire a taste for reds, no luck so far.
  • Athena98501
    Athena98501 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I love Moscato, so far my favorite is Sutter Home. On a recent trip the Smokies I tried Cantina Bianca and it is also wonderful, on the sweet side. I have tried to acquire a taste for reds, no luck so far.

The other two I mentioned are sweeter reds. You might like them, if you tried them. Olive Garden serves both, so you could try them there instead of buying a bottle. :-) Reds are said to have the most health benefits.
  • Lizaggie1
    Lizaggie1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    In the summer I tend to drink more whites and in the winter a mix. My favorite right now is Kim Crawford sauvignon blanc but I also like Kunde sauv blanc. There are a couple of varietals that I enjoy - Evolution, which is a blend of 9 different grapes (I think) and Conundrum. For reds, sketchbook pinot noir and menage a trois....

Someone mentioned liebfraumilch...I was in Germany after my freshmen year in college. That was my first wine! I am not a connoissuer, I just like to try different wines and find ones that appeal to me. My dream vacation is to bike and drink wine across the Italian countryside!
  • DG_Allen
    DG_Allen Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hey Guys,

I do like wine. Trying to drink less however to avoid the calories.

Favorites include Sauv Blanc, tuscan reds and Zins and other bold reds. We're taking a trip to Lodi and Napa soon! I'll have some good stuff then! I don't like most Chard.

We're big Paso Robles fans too. Edward Sellers, Tobin James and Justin are all very good.
  • toniarandall
    toniarandall Posts: 111
    Options
    Hello

my name is Tonia. I am definitely a wine drinker. I drink at least 2 to 3 glasses a week. My favorites are Moscato D'Asti, strawberry white zinfandel and Verdi in white. I also enjoy Roscato Rosso Dolce, and Pinot Noir in red. I enjoy mostly sweet wines. I drink plum wine as well when I go out with friends to Habachi. If anyone know any sweet wines to try please let me know.
  • tonicandgin
    tonicandgin Posts: 175
    Options
    Hi there, wine is my first choice if im having a drink...and going to napa valley is on my bucket list of places to visit, California wines are my favorite- I love J'lor Chardonnay and Robert mondavi cab....I also love Australian rosemont Shiraz ....I like champagne as well:)...there are alot of great wineries not far from me and every year I go with girlfriends in a limo bus to visit some of them in the niagara region
    Kim
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Another wine lover here. It is the only alcohol I drink.

Have done several different wine tours (Northern Michigan), the Niagara Region, Bike tour in the South of France (Chateau Neuf du Pape) and most recently, the Napa Valley.

I do prefer whites, but do enjoy all wine.
    My favourite whites are Pinot Grigios, Pinot Gris & Chardonnays.
    My favourite reds - Beaujolais, & the Wolf Blass Shiraz Cabernet Savingnon.
  • 2fat4knees
    2fat4knees Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly a red wine gal..especially merlot, shiraz, syrah, and pinot noir. In whites, i enjoy pinot gris and pinot prigio and well as sauvion(sp) blanc..not much for chards . Like my champagne brut. I'm also frugal ( read:cheap) and I like the Charles Shaw reds from Trader Joe's for value. i also love Grocery Outlet for their cheap prices so I feel like I can take a chance on different wines. I also like Rex Goliath pinot noir
  • winninga
    winninga Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I'm Angie and I'm a red girl....Red wine, red hair, and my favorite color is RED!! I live in Michigan, and we have a lot of great vneyards here. Any weekend in the summer, you can find some sort of wine festival in our several different wine regions.
  • cruisinskier
    cruisinskier Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi all. We are also wine lovers, although as per most everyone else, our consumption is down a fair bit recently. My favorite whites are Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc and Martins Lane Reisling (although it can only be purchased in BC and mostly right at the Mission Hills winery in Kelowna, BC...found it as my daughter was attending University there...in Kelowna, not at the winery :smile: ).

As far as reds go, I enjoy various including J Lohr Cabernet (had a glass last night), Felino Malbec, and Dry Creek Meritage (found it on a cruise but hard to get in Canada). There are numeorus others that are on our list and we are by no means wine snobs...some of our favorites are in the $10-15 range. We are lucky to have the Niagara wine region only an hour or so away so we have toured them....more than once!

Cheers!
  • kzooprincess
    kzooprincess Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm Angie and I'm a red girl....Red wine, red hair, and my favorite color is RED!! I live in Michigan, and we have a lot of great vneyards here. Any weekend in the summer, you can find some sort of wine festival in our several different wine regions.

I'm Bridgette and am from Michigan too. Love Michigan wines, mostly the sweeter ones. Tabor Hil's Demi-Sec, St. Julian's Heron series (Red Heron is my boyfriend's fav), St. Julian's Traminette, and Leelanuaw Cellars Winter White to name a few. Just tried a Moscato that the gentleman at the wine store recommended from Italy, can't remember the name but I'll remember the bottle when I go back for more! :happy:

Love the festivals, very upset they moved the Traverse City Wine Fest from mid-August to this past weekend.
  • Lizaggie1
    Lizaggie1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

Another wine lover here. It is the only alcohol I drink.

Have done several different wine tours (Northern Michigan), the Niagara Region, Bike tour in the South of France (Chateau Neuf du Pape) and most recently, the Napa Valley.

I do prefer whites, but do enjoy all wine.
    My favourite whites are Pinot Grigios, Pinot Gris & Chardonnays.
    My favourite reds - Beaujolais, & the Wolf Blass Shiraz Cabernet Savingnon.

So jealous of the bike tour. I have had the pleasure of a couple of vacations centering around sampling wine ---Napa valley and Niagara....would love to be planning another :-)
  • staceylopriore
    staceylopriore Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi..LOVE wines. Husband has actually made a Pinot Grigio and now a Sauvignon Blanc here at home. Yum! I love chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon. Take many wine tours in the Lake Erie region of Ohio. Really good wineries real close.
  • winninga
    winninga Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Love the festivals, very upset they moved the Traverse City Wine Fest from mid-August to this past weekend.
    [/quote]

I know!! I was pretty ticked as well. I was hoping to go for my anniversary, which is in August. I'm thinking about doing the Southeast bus tour in the fall, though.
  • Goldbergo
    Goldbergo Posts: 5
    Options
    If you like sweet but haven't warmed up to reds, try these from southern Italy: Madrigale Primitivo di Manduria Dolce Naturale, or passito, which is in general a sweet red dessert wine. Also, fragolino is a lightly fizzy, strawberry wine that is very easy to drink.
  • Arleigh7
    Arleigh7 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks for forming this group! I got the wine bug in the 90's and live only an hour or so away from Napa. After I got a house in the Oakland hills I turned an underground dark room into a wine cellar and have spent the last 15 years stocking it with bottles of Red Wine from all over the world (though a majority of it is Cabernet from Napa). I've done wine trips to both Bordeaux and Burgandy regions of France, Oregon, Washington, All over California and visited wineries in Australia and Israel. Hope to get to Argentina soon!

If anyone is planning a trip to Napa and needs any tips on good wineries to visit just drop me a note. I go at least 6 to 10 times a year and have gotten to know many of the smaller botique wineries and the familes that own them.

Doing a BBQ for friends tomorrw on the 4th and will be pouring at least 10 different Zinfadels (though Turley is probably my favorite).

All the best!