Olympic Lifts

Options
HeidiMightyRawr
HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
This is mainly aimed at those who do the olympic lifts as well as ones such as squat/bench/deadlift/rows/OHP etc etc

I want to get into these in the future, they look pretty damn awesome to perform! I'd like to get a trainer show me because they look quite hard, and my balance is crap! Until then, (I don't have the money for a trainer right now) I'm just wondering if there are any exercises I can do right now to help make it easier for me when I do. For example; overhead squats look like they might be useful, and I don't do them currently.
Basically ways to break the lifts into smaller parts (that I can do on my own) so it's just not so hard when I get a trainer.

Also, what does your lifting schedule look like at the moment. For me I do an upper / lower split on Mon/Tues, and Thurs/Fri with the main compound lifts and a few isolations. I'm wondering what would be the best way to fit it in with the oly lifts too as they really use the full body!

My main goals are strength related. I do bulk/cut cycles to gain muscle / lose fat but that's not my main focus.

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    To be honest, unless you have someone showing you who knows what they are doing then they are difficult. They are quite technical lifts. You would better learning them properly from the get go as opposed to badly then having to make changes later.

Including some front squatting would be the first thing I would look at as the 'receive' position for stuff like the clean and jerk is the same as the bottom of a deep front squat (plus it's a great exercise anyway!), it will also get you used to the front rack grip on the bar.

You could also include some of the more basic variations, such as the hang power snatch, which don't require as much skill.
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    You dont really want to supplement your powerlifting with OLYs, you really want to do one or the other. If you want more explosiveness in your training, you could look into something like powercleans. If you want to OLY, and do it well, you really want to be doing them regularly

the lifts that translate best to OLY are things like front squat, push press, and various segments of the lifts done from platforms.

Wendler talks about adding stuff like powercleans into workouts, when he does, he recommends doing them first and in a 5/3/1 rep range (the assumption here is you're doing 5/3/1)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    To be honest, unless you have someone showing you who knows what they are doing then they are difficult. They are quite technical lifts. You would better learning them properly from the get go as opposed to badly then having to make changes later.

Including some front squatting would be the first thing I would look at as the 'receive' position for stuff like the clean and jerk is the same as the bottom of a deep front squat (plus it's a great exercise anyway!), it will also get you used to the front rack grip on the bar.

You could also include some of the more basic variations, such as the hang power snatch, which don't require as much skill.

I was just trying to think of a new routine for the meantime, to include some exercises that may help but could be done by myself, such as front squats, overhead squats (really light bar to start) hang clean, upright rows, push press (only do strict press right now)
    Thoughts? I wouldn't do any explosive stuff / full lifts unless I had a trainer, but those seem ok to help until then.
    You dont really want to supplement your powerlifting with OLYs, you really want to do one or the other. If you want more explosiveness in your training, you could look into something like powercleans. If you want to OLY, and do it well, you really want to be doing them regularly

the lifts that translate best to OLY are things like front squat, push press, and various segments of the lifts done from platforms.

Wendler talks about adding stuff like powercleans into workouts, when he does, he recommends doing them first and in a 5/3/1 rep range (the assumption here is you're doing 5/3/1)

I would never give up powerlifting, love those lifts far too much!
    I am not fussed at all about becoming really good at olympic lifting, I just want a little variation, to add more explosiveness, balance and just different lifts really, supplement my regular lifting and get better at other things. They look like really great lifts!
  • FoxyMcDeadlift
    FoxyMcDeadlift Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Then you could just add stuff like box jumps, jump squats and powercleans, or banded deads for explosiveness. I have a friend who does OLYs and Deads/Squats, i've linked this thread to her she'll know more than me! They do look like great lifts, i've been debating a coach as well, but they look pretty technical and im happy just powerlifting at the moment
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options

I was just trying to think of a new routine for the meantime, to include some exercises that may help but could be done by myself, such as front squats, overhead squats (really light bar to start) hang clean, upright rows, push press (only do strict press right now)
    Thoughts? I wouldn't do any explosive stuff / full lifts unless I had a trainer, but those seem ok to help until then.

I would never give up powerlifting, love those lifts far too much!
    I am not fussed at all about becoming really good at olympic lifting, I just want a little variation, to add more explosiveness, balance and just different lifts really, supplement my regular lifting and get better at other things. They look like really great lifts!

The full OL lifts are considered by some to be some of the most complex and technical lifts you can do..So as others have mentioned it would probably serve you well to have a qualified coach work with you..You look at the selection of junior weight lifters in many countries and before these kids even learn an exercise they are assessed for things like stability, flexibility, mobility in the spine, hip, elbow, and ankle joints..These are not lifts everybody is suited for.

Exercises like the front squat and over head squat are supplementary exercises you could learn..Though less technical you still want to learn to do them right as well and so there is carry over to the full lifts..The soviets did a lot of supplementary lifts in learning the full execution lifts..For example for the snatch they may do the power snatch from the hang with the barbell above the knees in the starting position..The same thing but below the knees in the starting position..The snatch pull up to knee level..The snatch pull from the floor..The power snatch from the floor. The power snatch from the floor plus an overhead squat. And they had to be sure the execution of these supplementary lifts conformed to the classical exercise. Early on they did not worry about weight..It could be done with broom sticks or metal poles..They didn't start loading until the athletes were ready. And the coaches determined when that was..

You said you do PL..You could try exercises like the OL high pull for your DL to work on explosive-strength from the floor. Again, this like any lift needs to be done correctly..You won't use as much weight as your DL which can allow for a lower stress lift than the conventional DL that may have some positive carry over to your DL. If you do a heavier day and a lighter day you could add this or what ever lift you choose that you are looking to do to that lighter day.

I have done the OL high pull and PC to work on explosive-strength and to help my DL and they did help..But for me personally I have found DL with bands to be more effective at building explosive-strength for the DL so that is what I go with..
  • anashar
    anashar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Bump to read for later. I am just getting into lifting weights and I am interested to hear what you guys have to say. Thank you!
  • anashar
    anashar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just googled deadlifts with bands - that's freaking intense.