Calcium & Iron!

Options
sarahmoo12
sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
Im always low on calcium and iron!!! What do you eat to get enough?? or what would the best foods be?

Replies

• Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of almonds for my calcium, I also use Vega products which cover a lot of my nutrition bases.
  • southernpurplevegan
    southernpurplevegan Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have my days where my Calcium & Iron are low , but most days are high. I usually try to research my foods , and I keep extra track of both of them since I am anemic. I usually eat lots of greens, and foods that are good for calcium.
  • RitaB19
    RitaB19 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Will you eat dairy products or are you a vegan? You can get calcium from Vegan sources like: Soy Milk, Calcium Fortified OJ and of course Calcium Citrate Suppl. You need at least 1200mg per day to help prevent Osteoporosis. For Iron, besides a suppl., Iron fortified cold cereals, hot cereals, tofu, Lentils, Soybeans, Quinoa and spinach. Check out this list from the Veg. Resource group which would be helpful to you.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm
  • captawesome
    captawesome Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    i generally hit my calcium targets and most days I'm high up on iron. I have found that a lot of lot of food doesn't track either micro though so it is sometimes hard to tell. I generally have soy milk every day and I love my green veggies so what does count for calcium and iron gets me by. To be safe, I have a multivitamin every day as well.

Feel free to add me if you like spying diaries for ideas (something I always do!) :smile: