there really is no exercise that is quite like riding

grumpers
grumpers Posts: 46 Member
I know that doing pilates, stretching, and cardio enhances your riding, but it isn't until after you've gotten off after a good vigorous ride that you feel those muscles all the other exercises miss!

Replies

• Whisperinghorse
    Whisperinghorse Posts: 202 Member
    Yep good for the core, legs and if they're particularly strong the arms!!!

And what about the associated jobs, mucking out, poo picking, lugging buckets and haynets around, picking out feet and changing rugs... :drinker:
  • NicoleDlugosz
    NicoleDlugosz Posts: 11 Member
    Agreed! I burn more calories in 45 minutes of riding than I do in the same time jogging on the treadmill. Wear your heart rate monitor next time you ride! You might be surprised!
  • ruralgirl
    ruralgirl Posts: 86 Member
    I keep meaning to wear my hrm riding but keep forgetting! I am always pretty tired when I get back but then its unusual for me to go out for less that a couple of hours. Even walking it definitely makes me starving and tired therefore must be good excersise:-) Also its the thing I most enjoy which always helps - other excersise is always a bit a a chore if Im honest:-)
  • alipene
    alipene Posts: 945 Member
    Absolutely agree! I have withdrawal symptoms from not being able to ride at the moment and gain my exercise calories from that. I feel like I've lost my tummy muscles too :cry: . But hopefully only for a few more weeks :smile:
  • salsa81
    salsa81 Posts: 68 Member
    Totally agree with the rest of you.

There are days when I think "I can't be bothered to go down to the stables", then I kick myself and say it's a waste of money if you don't.

Always feel better after going as well. Think it's all that fresh air! Must remember this next time I say I'm putting it off!!!

Just wish the weather would sort itself out as every time I plan to ride at the moment, the heavens open!! But then again, you can never predict what the British summer will do!!
  • grumpers
    Absolutely agree! I have withdrawal symptoms from not being able to ride at the moment and gain my exercise calories from that. I feel like I've lost my tummy muscles too :cry: . But hopefully only for a few more weeks :smile:

Alipene How are feeling these days? is your healing going well? are you able to do any unhorsey exercise yet?
  • alipene

Alipene How are feeling these days? is your healing going well? are you able to do any unhorsey exercise yet?

Hi Grumpers, I'm doing well thanks. Six weeks pos-op now. Just started driving again at the weekend and went back to work yesterday for the last 2.5 days of term :tongue: . We break up for 8 week summer hols tomorrow lunchtime!

First drive I made was over to see the horse :happy: , who is looking a little rounder! I'm not going to try riding for a few weeks yet, but I had fun grooming and massaging :smile: . If this rain ever stops I'll take her for a walk with a lead rope! I've been doing some gentle treadmill walking and am generally moving about a lot more throughout the day, but everyone keeps saying not to over-do it or I'll regret it so I'm trying to refrain. It's so difficult when I feel so good!
  • ruralgirl
    Great to hear your doing so well Alipene! :-)
  • alipene
    Great to hear your doing so well Alipene! :-)

Thank you! :happy:
  • grumpers
    and I forgot to say that grooming horses is really good for you, too! My husband tore his rotator cuff in his shoulder but didn't want to do the surgery. So, he went the physical therapy route and he honestly has found that the circular movement you use with a rubber curry is just literally what the doctor ordered! He's made huge advances in range of motion over the last couple of months and also has a shiny gray horse (in between her visits to the pond to become a very large brown horse).
  • Jessamyfrm
    Jessamyfrm Posts: 89
    As much as I hate it, out of stirrups work really does work my entire body!
  • alipene
    As much as I hate it, out of stirrups work really does work my entire body!

I had an instructor who used to make me do rising trot without stirrups lol
  • ruralgirl
    me too - what a nightmare! I can hardly sit to trot on my current mare she is so bouncy so loosing the stirrups isnt an option lol