How's Academy?

Options
Hello fellow corrections officers :) I am technically not a correctional officer yet. Passed the physical and psychological exams though and joining academy Aug 6! How is being a correctional officer and what should I expect in academy?

Replies

• fullofsmiles04
    fullofsmiles04 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My academy was mostly classroom material, and very repetitive. It was mostly going over policy and procedure over and over again. We did about a week and a half of on the job training with FTO's on different shifts. That's about all of the hands on experience with offenders that we got. We did get a little self defense, handcuffing, firearms, and chemical irritant training but definitely would of helped to spend less time going over policy and more time with these things since these are what we have to protect ourselves. After the academy, you can expect to be tested a LOT by the offenders. Especially being female. They will test you to see what kind of officer you are going to be and what you are going to let them get away with. Throughout our academy, they preached the words firm, fair, and consistent to us and thats really what it all comes down to. Treat them all equally and show them the respect you expect in return and you will be alright. Good luck to you! :)
  • metalchickita
    Options
    Thanks for all the great tips ;) I will be sure to remember the firm, fair, and consistent thing. Sounds like a good test question ;) It will be tough being a woman, but I'm the toughest woman I know. No pink stuff for me! The prison I applied for is all male with min, med, and max security. I used to work at operation safehouse and the clients always tried to see what they could get away with. I can see how that could happen in the prison.
  • fullofsmiles04
    fullofsmiles04 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you've gained some great experience from already working at the safehouse that you will be able to apply in prison since they are all the same kinds of guys. I work in a male max security prison. There are days that will be very challenging, but let work be work. Dont let yourself bring any of the crap that you will see and have to deal with home. It's easier said than done, but thats half the battle in this profession. If you dont have any already, definitely pick up a hobby that you enjoy....that helps ease the stress that comes along with the job as well. For me, it's been working out....I've lost 30 pounds. Feel free to add me if you have any other questions or would like a new friend here on MFP! :)
  • metalchickita
    Options
    Awesome ;) Congrats on the weight loss. For me... my hobby is music. Heavy metal and hard rock. None of that pop stuff they play on the radio all to much. O that and running. I do it everyday. Good to be doin' to prep for academy.
  • kimastbury
    kimastbury Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Awesome advice here fullofsmiles0 everything that I tell the newbies coming through! Guess it's the same all over the world huh? :laugh: