Into book 4, No spoilers please...

Options
I'm well in to 4 now but I'm skipping quite a bit. First, I'm pissed off that he's introducing so many new characters instead of just continuing on with who's left. Again, no spoilers but there are 2 characters that we've not heard squat from since early book 3. A couple of others that we've not heard squat from since later in book 3, and one character is in limbo since book 2. I also hate the way this author rambles. If it was really important for me to know how Brienne or however her name is spelled, learned to use weapons then he should have told me that when he introduced her in book 2. I'm thoroughly aware of what she can do with weapons at this point, so now in book 4, I don't care how she learned. The more I read the more I realize these books have way too much fat in them and not enough meat. I'm beginning to regret starting the series, but now I have to know. :( Without spoilers.

Replies

• freezerburn2012
    freezerburn2012 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Just think of book 4 as book 3, part 2. It helps.
  • DoctorKyrina
    DoctorKyrina Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    The idea of the fourth book is that it really only covers so many areas. Book 4 is King's Landing, Dorne, the Eerie and all of the politics around there (and maybe some odd outliers) but doesn't cover anywhere else in detail. It was frustrating when a lot of characters are introduced and I honestly found it a bit slow. That being said, it's not really bad and it'll get better. I've also noticed I enjoyed it more on the re-read than I did on the first time through it.
  • glengiles
    glengiles Posts: 147
    Options
    I could never re-read this book. I have a bit left then it's on to 5 and hoping it picks up where 3 left off.
  • DoctorKyrina
    DoctorKyrina Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I could never re-read this book. I have a bit left then it's on to 5 and hoping it picks up where 3 left off.

You will honestly probably dislike book 5 if you miss things in book 4 because there are too many unknown characters. It moves more quickly than 4, but it has a lot of POV characters. A Feast for Crows has 13 POV characters, and A Dance with Dragons has 18. I honestly suggest rereading AFFC, especially if you've been missing large portions due to not caring. You will need to know what these people are doing to get the entire plot.
  • glengiles
    Options
    I've finished book 5 now and I guess we're all waiting for book 6 to come out. Honestly, I think the series sucks but now I have to know and that's the only thing that will get me to read it. I wish I'd never started it. :(
  • RachelWest86
    Options
    I've finished book 5 now and I guess we're all waiting for book 6 to come out. Honestly, I think the series sucks but now I have to know and that's the only thing that will get me to read it. I wish I'd never started it. :(

4 and 5 were definitely frustrating. I read on Martin's blog that he realized too quickly that 4 was going to be a monster, so he chose to split 4 and 5--unfortunately, he didn't split them chronologically, but by telling half the characters' stories in 4 and the other half in 5. Since there was a SEVEN YEAR GAP (talk about frustrating) between publication dates, I was increasingly annoyed with Martin. I agree that now that I'm hooked, I'll keep reading, but I hope there's not another gap like that before he finishes 6.
  • Lissakaye81
    Lissakaye81 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I am a quarter through book 4 and do find it frustrating as well. The 1st couple of books I thought were good, but the rambles about clothes, food, houses, "this title", ugh...too much random crap that does not enrich the story just wastes my time. Love the idea and world, the series is ok, but does leave you a little disappointed and wanting.
  • glengiles
    Options
    I'm reading David Eddings 'Begariad' and 'Mallorean' for about the 5th time. 10 books in all. They flow so much better.
  • Banannafish512
    Banannafish512 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I'm rereading a Dance With Dragons and it's so hard to get through! Even though I love most of the POVs, they don't flow well with one another. I can't help compare it with the first 3 books which were definitely page-turners. Hopefully GRRM ups his game in the next book.

But upon reading his blog, it sounds like all he does is travel. Just sit down and write it GRRM!
  • glengiles
    Options
    Finishing up the 10th Eddings book tonight. What a great series.