weather issues

Options
ka97
ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
So I have my first Oly scheduled for Sunday. Oddly it's a 9am start time. I know its a few days away, but I'm getting concerned because the forcast is for hot and humid and likely thunderstorms popping up. Does anyone have any words of wisdom for dealing with hot and humid? Other than don't push too hard and hydrate. And about the thunderstorms.....what happens if they pop up in the middle of the race? Like if we are out in the middle of the lake, or out on the bike? Does the race get cancelled and they try to get everyone back? This ever happen to anyone? I think I could handle it on the run, but if I were out swimming or riding when a storm came through, I think I would seriously freak out.

Replies

• Canuck_TriFit
    Canuck_TriFit Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I would have 2 water bottles on my bike and maybe put ice in them, it might all melt by the time you get to your bike though but at least the water won't be too warm. On the run I would grab 2 cups of water at each water station, one to drink and the other to pour over my head. I can't answer the thunderstorm question, it definitely sucks biking in the rain.

Don't worry about it. Enjoy the race and good luck!
  • vtate75
    vtate75 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I had the same concern with my first sprint in June because there was a 60% chance of thunderstorms. It didn't...thank goodness. I was told by the race director the night before that in the event of thunder it would change to a duathlon. I don't really understand that...because you would be on a a MEDAL bike in the rain...but that was the plan. Good luck. I hope you don't have rain!
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    I've raced through lots of bad weather, but never through a lightning storm. I think I'd have to walk away from that one. A few years ago at IM Kansas, they pulled all the racers off the run course when a thunderstorm started threatening. Lots of angry racers that afternoon. My understanding is, if the storm is bad but could change, they'll wait it out, but if it's too bad they'll cancel. I've twice raced races that we waited out the lightning, then we simply raced in rain. Truth be told, there's a kind of weird excitement with racing in the rain. An added level of challenge, if you will.

Whatever the case, as long as the race is on, it's still race day, and still deserving of all the excitement and pleasure and joy and fun that comes with it.

If it's raining, be very careful cycling, and make sure you go heavy on the lubricants when you get ready. Rainy days are great for chafing. If it's blazing hot, yeah lots and lots of liquids - preferably electrolytes, and make sure you hit suntan lotion whenever you can. I've seen people who went light on the lotion have their race numbers sunburned into their skin. It's kind of funny, especially when it happens to somebody else.

I hope this helps.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    ohhhhh, sunscreen. I often skip that with a sprint. Ok - sunscreen, bodyglide, and bodymarking. What would be the correct sequence for application?