Baby interfering with my HRM???

Options
JulaMonster
JulaMonster Posts: 51 Member
Hey mommas! Quick question- I wore my HRM for the first time in a few months today while doing Zumba, and I got some majorly wonky readings on my beats per minute. The batteries are only 4 months old in both the watch and the chest strap, so I doubt it's that, and I had the chest strap properly, er, moistened LOL so I don't think the issue was the connection in that regard, but now I'm wondering if it's possible that the chest strap was getting interference from the baby's heart beat?!? I'll be 22 weeks tomorrow, so she's not up particularly high yet but my fundal height is several inches above my belly button, so it seems plausible it could have been the cause of the wonky readings! (At one point I watched it go from 108bpm to 164bpm to 124bpm all within 30 seconds!) It mostly read low (my total average for the workout was only 104bpm, which I am doubtful of), but if I had to guess I'd say I was probably in the 120's, which is where I usually am when I'm taking it a bit easy during zumba (usually between 140-160 when I'm working it). Anyways, I am highly suspicious of the low average, and also of the random jumps it made! Anyone else have any baby interference with their HRM? I'm thinking of strapping it around my belly to see if it will pick her up!

Replies

• mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Which HRm do u have? because my polar Ft4 has been going crazy. from 100 to 200... I wear in right under my bra. It's really strange. So i just pause it until it goes back to normal. Another person just mentioned the same thing today. i wonder if it's just a glitch in the HRm..
  • JulaMonster
    Options
    Weird! Mine is a Polar M21 watch and T31 strap (I think? They're not the same model number for whatever reason), they were handed down to me from my mom who was the original purchaser. I sent a message to Polar's customer support asking about it, so we'll see what they say. I did just try to strap it around my belly in various positions to see if it could pick up her heartbeat, but it didn't, oh well! (She was moving around at the time so maybe that affected it, I might try it again another time! How fun would that be?)
  • mellynat
    mellynat Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I tried doing that w my hrm. It didn't work. Lol but maybe when am further along. Lol let me no if u ever have luck why yours. Oh and what polar comp tells u. Maybe we can get new ones.
  • jls8209
    jls8209 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I don't have a HRM, but when I use the ones on the cardio machines at the gym they are also all over the place. 145bpm one second, then down to 80bpm, even though I haven't slowed down and/or feel like my heart rate/breathing are still the same. Then there are some machines that must think I'm a corpse because I can't get a reading at all!
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    That's interesting, mine hasn't had any issues yet. Could it be picking on baby's heartbeat? I'll have to watch for that in the future, I don't know what I would do without my HRM!
  • JulaMonster
    Options
    I'll let you all know what Polar says when they get back to me. I've never had weird readings like this from it before! Weird!
  • thedestar
    thedestar Posts: 1,278 Member
    Options
    Hmm that's interesting. Shortly after I got pregnant and I tried exercising with my HRM (Polar FT4) it would go crazy on me but I never even thought it had anything to do with the baby. I just thought it was broken LOL I'm interested to see what you find out!
  • BeckyJill7
    BeckyJill7 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    any response yet? i'm curious to see what they say.

And now I want to go home and mess with my hrm and see if it picks up the baby's hearatbeat. That would be a trip!