Breast feeding & exercise

Options
jlefton1212
jlefton1212 Posts: 171 Member
Has anyone noticed a change (decrease) in mik supply after resuming exercise? I am scared of putting on a sports bra because I know compression can impact supply. I've not been active at all since my daughter was born (almost 8 months ago!) and I need to get moving again. I'm going to try swimming and bike riding, but would like try dancing or running again before I wean her and I'd definitely need a good sports bra for those activities.

Replies

• amie1004
    amie1004 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I notice a dip in supply when my net calories get too low BC diet and exercise, but I've never specifically had a problem BC my bra was too constricting. You should be fine, especially since you're not going to wear it constantly.:)
  • Bmjnash
    Bmjnash Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I had to find the right amount of calories to eat in order to maintain that breastfeeding and still lose weight it took about a month. and as for the sports bras as long as you're not wearing it all the time you should be fine I wear a nice tight 1 when I workout and it doesn't affect my supply. I only wear it for about an hour a day
  • Book_wormie22
    Book_wormie22 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i actually notice my supply has increased since exercising....our milk ducts are modified sweat glands, so during and after a great workout I leak a lot....i am also drinking a TON of water so i think that has a lot to do with it too.
  • jillianlovesyarn
    jillianlovesyarn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The only thing that really seems to impact my supply is getting too little sleep (less than four hours) and getting my period back. Even the period appears to be a temporary monthly drop and I've started taking calcium magnesium supplements because some reading suggests that cal-mag supplements might make for less of a drop.
  • Wallace082011
    Options
    How did you find the right amount of calories?

I had to find the right amount of calories to eat in order to maintain that breastfeeding and still lose weight it took about a month. and as for the sports bras as long as you're not wearing it all the time you should be fine I wear a nice tight 1 when I workout and it doesn't affect my supply. I only wear it for about an hour a day