Info on HRM please?

Options
moss11
moss11 Posts: 236 Member
Reading through posts there seems to be quite a few of us using HRM's! Could you please give me some basic info on them or any other similar monitors? I cycle, walk and lift dumbbells does it show the calories burned, or do I have to do some kind of heart rate calculation? Are they comfortable, do you just wear them when exercising ? Lots of questions, just wondering whether it would be a useful tool or not? Are they bulky or noticeable to others? I see some people have Fitbits are they similar? TIA

Replies

• New_Keeley
    New_Keeley Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I use an HRM for every exercise I do. The chest strap is comfy, forget its there, nobody can see it. Mine can be set for cycling, running and general sports. It has things like a virtual running partner but I don't use that (only because I can't keep up!) distance, time etc. I only use the calories burned section as that's all I'm interested in right now. When I race I'll switch to running and monitor time and distance.

I love my Garmin and hate working out without it!!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    I've just bought myself my first HRM. I've got the Polar FT4 and love it so far. It has a chest band with sensors built in that you wear under clothing and a wrist watch which shows the readings. There's an initial set up where you enter date/time/age/height/weight and it uses this info to work out the calories you burn. It's only designed for use during exercise and while exercising it records your heart rate and calculates calories burned by the exercise. It's very useful as it gives a more accurate reading than using online calculators for calories burned (such as the MFP values) or the readings from gym machines although it is still just a guide. Positioned well I don't really notice the strap while exercising. It can also be used for swimming.

The FitBit works differently and is simplest terms it's a fancy pedometer. It doesn't measure heart rate but calculates how much you move around. It can be worn all day (up to 23 hrs a day I think). Unlike simple pedometers it also measures up/down movement (e.g. Stairs) as well as forward/back movement. It can also be worn at night to measure how much you move in your sleep and therefore how well you're sleeping. It doesn't work for certain exercises such as cycling or swimming.

They both serve different purposes and although I have an HRM I am also getting a FitBit to wear for the majority of the day, and use the HRM during intense exercise.
  • ShaunMc1968
    ShaunMc1968 Posts: 204
    Options
    Garmin Forerunner 305 - fantastic - you enter your profile and it does the lot. HR Zones, distance, calories, loads more. If you link it to your computer you get great stats and can view your runs, cycles etc on Google earth. great piece of kit.
  • moss11
    Options
    Thanks for information. I have heard of the Polar but not the Garmin, will have to look that up! You seem to be giving the thumbs up on them. If HRM is picking up my heart rate and judging calories on that, how is the accuracy when freewheeling or recovering between sets of weights. I mean will my raised heart beat when doing nothing reflect as calories burned? Just a thought. I imagine if I make a purchase I will be able to judge the accuracy by eating just under the TDEE and seeing what my weight does! I am, at this stage, more interested in finding out calories burned rather than fitness.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I've just bought myself my first HRM. I've got the Polar FT4 and love it so far. It has a chest band with sensors built in that you wear under clothing and a wrist watch which shows the readings. There's an initial set up where you enter date/time/age/height/weight and it uses this info to work out the calories you burn. It's only designed for use during exercise and while exercising it records your heart rate and calculates calories burned by the exercise. It's very useful as it gives a more accurate reading than using online calculators for calories burned (such as the MFP values) or the readings from gym machines although it is still just a guide. Positioned well I don't really notice the strap while exercising. It can also be used for swimming.

i have the polar ft4 as well. i bought it about a year ago and it is still going strong and i have not had to replace the battery yet.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Thanks for information. I have heard of the Polar but not the Garmin, will have to look that up! You seem to be giving the thumbs up on them. If HRM is picking up my heart rate and judging calories on that, how is the accuracy when freewheeling or recovering between sets of weights. I mean will my raised heart beat when doing nothing reflect as calories burned? Just a thought. I imagine if I make a purchase I will be able to judge the accuracy by eating just under the TDEE and seeing what my weight does! I am, at this stage, more interested in finding out calories burned rather than fitness.

I have the ft4 it's a great device, but I think it's only really useful with cardio type activities, apparently not as accurate with free weights (although i could be wrong) when you say free wheeling do you mean when you stop pedalling during cycling? Then yes it will count that as your heart rate is still up, it doesn't work on movement it works on if your heartbeat is high enough to be in the fatburning/cardio zone.
  • moss11
    Options
    Thank you. I reckon I will think about it a bit longer. I really don't do a lot of cardio so maybe on this occasion my love of gadgets may have to stay on the back burner!