Depression

Options
For those who struggle with depression how do you keep yourself motivated to exercise when your going through a bad moment of depression?

Replies

• cherokeetracey
    Options
    i make a point of walking up and down the stairs a few times a day and i have a fitness band aswell and use that.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    its very hard to get motivated to exercise. mostly i just make a decision that i must do something every day. but that still doesnt always do the trick. sometimes you just have to give in a little. when i am really down, when i have trouble getting out of bed, i tend to give in for a day. wallow in the bad feelings and then wake up the next day and start fresh. its worked for me for the last 7 months. i've also found that the longer i do this, the better i feel. i was having depressive issues about once a month from jan to may. then the exercise finally kicked in. other than a medication issue, i've been on a pretty even keel for the last two months.

i think a mix of good medication and lots of exercise can really help depressive issues.
  • lhulewsky
    lhulewsky Posts: 50
    Options
    I agree with Clyde. She knows what she is talking about. It is hard to make yourself exercise but the exercise will help the depression. If you are on a good medication combined with exercise you will be better able to control your mood.
  • ellenasl210
    ellenasl210 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I try to exercise with a friend. When you have a friend with you, it makes the exercising a bit more enjoyable, and talking to someone who you enjoy being with and who makes you laugh helps(:

Although, I find if I'm having depression problems I never eat, I have to force myself to eat just enough calories for the day. Does anyone else have a similar problem?
  • BlackPup
    BlackPup Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I know that exercise helps my mood because it releases endorphines so I make it a rule that I have to get out of the house and go for a walk. I listen to music as I walk so it helps me to get out of my head which is always a good thing when I'm depressed.
    That said I've been through depressions where I could barely leave my bed do I don't think that will power alone is the answer, some good meds are definitely needed in some cases.
    It helps that I always give myself an out, if it's too hard after I've got to a certain point on my walk I'm allowed to turn around early.
    When I get depressed I tend to binge on junk food I have no self control. I don't have the energy to cook or prepare food so I usually eat unhealthy foods. If I manage to leave the house I get fast food from the drive through.

In the end sometimes you just have to give yourself a break - just getting out of bed is an achievement some days.