Surgery coming up

Options
KaseyWolf
KaseyWolf Posts: 122 Member
I am having surgery Aug 1st. Excited and scared all at the same time. Excited because as a transmale, this is my first surgery..getting things taken out that I feel shouldn't be there in the first place. A LOOOOONG journey to get to this point including being denied by my insurance at first as "not medically necessary." I think the staff at my doctor's office were just as excited. My dr told me her asst said "We finally got it approved, I'm so excited...I feel like we should get a cake!" to which Dr. L said "Me too...but Kasey doesn't eat cake!" Had to laugh. The support I have had from co workers has been awesome.

I'm scared because I'll be off work for 6weeks and I can't do the exercise I have been doing on the level I have been doing it. I will be allowed to walk...but no running or lifting for a bit. ARGH...I'm addicted...and I use it instead of eating sometimes. I'm trying to think of the things around my house, walking, even lifestyle tweaking (have been wanting to get more disciplined with meal planning and work out a menu system)...things to keep me motivated and on track.

I know this is a random post from a stranger, but there is so few places I feel I can actually put down in words all of me. People know me as trans (some didn't know I was a bio female in the first place and have only known me as Mr :) ) or a nurse or as getting healthier (I'm the token health nut now for my unit). So many things that weaved together make me and the journey through this life I am on.

Replies

• MellowCee
    MellowCee Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am having surgery Aug 1st. Excited and scared all at the same time. Excited because as a transmale, this is my first surgery..getting things taken out that I feel shouldn't be there in the first place. A LOOOOONG journey to get to this point including being denied by my insurance at first as "not medically necessary." I think the staff at my doctor's office were just as excited. My dr told me her asst said "We finally got it approved, I'm so excited...I feel like we should get a cake!" to which Dr. L said "Me too...but Kasey doesn't eat cake!" Had to laugh. The support I have had from co workers has been awesome.

I'm scared because I'll be off work for 6weeks and I can't do the exercise I have been doing on the level I have been doing it. I will be allowed to walk...but no running or lifting for a bit. ARGH...I'm addicted...and I use it instead of eating sometimes. I'm trying to think of the things around my house, walking, even lifestyle tweaking (have been wanting to get more disciplined with meal planning and work out a menu system)...things to keep me motivated and on track.

I know this is a random post from a stranger, but there is so few places I feel I can actually put down in words all of me. People know me as trans (some didn't know I was a bio female in the first place and have only known me as Mr :) ) or a nurse or as getting healthier (I'm the token health nut now for my unit). So many things that weaved together make me and the journey through this life I am on.

I wish you well as you prepare for your surgery and beyond. Do what you can physically, such as walking...and the weights will be there when you recover.
  • AFreeheart
    AFreeheart Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Let me know if I can help you in any way,
    I had that surgery about 17 yrs ago.
    We can communicate about it in private message or in e mail if you'd like.
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first surgery, that is a huge deal! Insurance issues are so crazy and frustrating. My kid has had a series of medically necessary "plastic" surgeries as well, for a different reason, and the insurance companies can be so bad dragging their feet about it when you're trying to get approved for procedures that are, DUH, NECESSARY. I hope it goes really well, and that you are super happy with the results you get. Its so awesome what they can do now.

I'm not able to go running most days for logistical reasons so I try to go on long walks. Typically I am carrying my kid who weighs about 20 pounds now, and that increases the burn and amount of effort for my muscles. Maybe something weighted, like ankle weights, would beef up the burn you get from walking? And strengthen different parts of your legs to help keep your conditioning up for running?

Do you think you will be allowed to do body weight calisthenic stuff like squats and lunges? I was always skeptical of squats but I am doing a 200 squat challenge right now and it's pretty cool. I'm not doing them weighted or anything, just with my own body weight, and they make a big difference for me. I might actually end up with a butt instead of a very flat wall.

I do a meal plan every week and I love it. It also allows me to be more methodical about the groceries I buy when I go shopping, which in turn means I am less likely to buy crappy foods that I want to eat in bulk. I eat healthier and spend a lot less at the store. I basically rotate through a few kinds each of breakfasts, lunches, and snacks, and then I have something different for dinner every night. It's not too much work, but I find it really helps me a ton to stick with eating cleaner and healthier, since impulsive eating is my big weakness.

Good luck with your recovery, results, everything. Although it sucks that you have to go through any of it in the first place, being reborn as your self seems like it must be a pretty amazing / daunting / clarifying human experience.
  • JackKsavestheday
    JackKsavestheday Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Proud of you and thank you for sharing your very personal journey. I felt good to see the support you have. Hold your head up proud cause you're one step closer to truly being you! congrats and focus on diet.
  • Coco_UK
    Coco_UK Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!

Sending you all the best for your surgery and I am here if you need any support :-)
  • returnonetime
    returnonetime Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hey man,

I have my top surgery on the 29th Aug so I am thinking a similar thing. Just trying to get myself into the best shape possible so that I dont have to be too hard on myself when I have to take a few weeks off. Got to take care of yourself first and not rush things.

Good luck with everything.
  • Thesoundofwolf
    Thesoundofwolf Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So exciting! I wish the best for everything, and may you heal well and all the good things :3
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Congrats! Surgical techniques have improved so drastically you will be back at things before you know it! Just take it really easy the first 2 weeks, don't worry about the weight loss for now.
  • wendyapple
    wendyapple Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    congrats and good luck and fast healing! and if you love love love your results and your doctor, my partner is just starting research in this arena and is looking for recommendations!
  • tammylyn_
    tammylyn_ Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hope your surgery went well. Focus on keeping yourself healthy and healing ...you'll be back to your workouts in no time I bet!
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Hoping all went well! Congrats!
  • ajjaxx
    ajjaxx Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hope the surgery went well and the recovery is going well! My biggest motivator right now to lose weight is wanting to be able to schedule my surgery. I'm hoping for next summer and cannot wait!
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I had surgery recently, not anything that dramatic but my fitbit helped me stay on track for the month before the surgery when my doctor cut me off from the gym and the month after. Getting 10k steps and 10 stairs (not right away for you) is quite a challenge but I continued to lose weight even while I couldn't "workout".
  • NicoleHernandezz
    Options
    Ahhh how exciting, I hope your recovery is going smooth, congrats and thanks for sharing :):wink:
  • KaseyWolf
    Options
    Thanks for all the well wishes!! Surgery was good, a bit of extra bleeding during my doc said. My abdomen looked like she did the surgery with a baseball bat (her words, not mine). First few days were roughest, but I got through it. Have been walking, going for 3-4 miles now. i went to the gym yesterday (too hot outside to get my walk in) and it was soooo hard to be there and not go on the elliptical or weights.

You guys/gals rock for support, motivation and friendliness. For those brothers who have or are walking this path it helps to know I'm not alone. Thank you!!
  • KaseyWolf
    Options
    To Return: Wow...good luck! That is my next one, doing more weight loss before that though so I have better results. If you don't mind my asking (In private if you wish) who is doing your surgery? I'm actively looking for the surgeon for that next step.