Hello! How do I give my bones some meat?

Options
KatieMae75
KatieMae75 Posts: 391 Member
Hi all, I'm Katie and I'm a sack of bones. I have kind of a reverse problem here, could use some advice. I've always been underweight. The kind of underweight that makes people ask me things like "Do you ever eat?" "Are you sick?" Are you anorexic?". It's just how I've always been. In high school I thought the fix would be to stuff my face with anything in front of me so I wouldn't look like a stick, but it didn't work. Any weight went only to my *kitten* end, and I physically felt like crap. I've had testing done and it does not appear that it is any kind of hyperthyroid problem.

I decide a few months ago to change my lifestyle by eating right and working out. I took a strength and nutrition course over the summer semester at school, hoping to get in shape and add some muscle weight. I discovered that I loved weight lifting. Unfortunately, in the first couple of weeks, I lost 7 pounds. Not exactly my goal, but I figured it was just a transition of losing fat (remember, I do have *kitten* fat) before gaining muscle.

Now the class has ended, and I've lost access to weights until I join a gym. In the meantime, I'm doing various strength training here at home, but it's just not the same. I've been tracking food and meet my daily calorie intake each day. So, do I need to actually go over if I want to gain weight? Is that healthy? Or, do I keep doing what I'm doing and work on muscle when I get the gym membership? Any advice is welcome and appreciated.

Replies

• KGTraxler
    KGTraxler Posts: 144
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor about a possible meal plan? If you want to put on muscle weight I would shoot for a protein high diet. With what I've read on the topic, most people start at 60% protein and work your way up. My problem is trying to lose weight, but with the strength training plan I've done and the upping of the protein intake I've definitely seen more definition in my body. I hope that helps; good luck!
  • sarahharrison77
    sarahharrison77 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi Katie

I know how you feel! I lost a few pounds last year but now look like a sack of bones too :(. Been trying to eat more but know I need to focus on eating more protein and doing strength training or any weight just goes on my thighs in the form of the dreaded cellulite!

I dont really have any advice for you but will watch this post in the hope that someone out there can give me advice too!

Good luck

Sarah