when was your "OH HELL NO" moment ?

Options
Railr0aderTony
Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
For me it was fall of 2011, after my father passed away. I was at the funeral and everything seemed fine. I got home and one of my nieces posted some pictures from the reception on facebook. I was looking through them and it hit me, "OH HELL NO" that is not me, I am not that big. Well i was that big. I knew i was big, had not been able to use a normal scale in a long time. Well I was over 380 without a doubt, I started losing some before joining MFP, It was not until I ordered the cattle sized scale at home that i was able to find out where my starting point was. So everyone, When was your "OH HELL NO" moment?

8301256527_385cbae4b4.jpg
OMG by railr0ader, on Flickr

Replies

• downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    Mine was similar to your Tony. It was seeing a picture of myself. I always hid from the camera. If I did let a picture be taken, I staged it as well as I could.
    Well, I went out with some friends one night from HighSchool and they took their own pictures. The next day they showed up on FaceBook and I was floored. I couldn't breathe and to be honest I was scared ****less.

Here is the most glaring one.

46766_1603879779568_3192630_n.jpg
  • cbeutler
    cbeutler Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I didn't really have one. I had been trying to lose weight for over 20 years and always failing. So when the last medical piece got handled it all finally clicked into place and I started to lose.

For me obesity was a complicated problem. I needed to get treated for Sleep Apnea, Gout, Depression, and Compulsive Eating. Then I had to use MFP to control the diet and start exercising. But until I had all the pieces under control I never had success, or at least never success for long.
  • MKLAMAN
    MKLAMAN Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight most of my life. While I wouldn't have considered myself morbidly obese, I knew I was not healthy and at a much higher risk for a heart attack. My Grandfather passed away at 97 years old right around Thanksgiving. While we were at his funeral, and people we up talking about him I just kept thinking about how I sure would like to be around when my great great grandchildren are born. I want to see the legacy I leave behind. I have three beautiful daughters and I want to be around to walk each of them down the aisle for their wedding. I want to meet my grandkids and be a part of their lives like my duaghters grand parents (and great grandparents) are. That was when I decided I needed to lose the weight and try to prolong my life. I don't want to be thin for vain reasons or to look good with my shirt off. I want to be thin and healthy for my family and in all honesty not to die young.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Went swimming and my man tits were bigger than some of the ladies there.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I didn't really have a O Hell No moment, I had an inspirational moment. I ran into three MFPers who were having success with the program so I gave it a go. I had pretty much given up hope of finding a long term, low cost solution until I found MFP.

I was the same way as most regarding pictures, and I actually went in a swimming pool for the first time in 6 years last week.

For me, it was a hallelujah moment...
  • DerekG79
    DerekG79 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    For me it was going back and looking at wedding pictures 9 years ago. I look so ridiculous in my own wedding pictures that I want my wife to keep them hidden. Also, becoming a dad last fall made a difference. I am way down off my all-time high weight, but I still have so far to go and it is harder than ever. I have always been big, never was active in school and pounds piled on. I gotta like this thing while my baby boy is still little.

Oh, and my 10-year wedding anniversary is next May. I would love for us to renew our vows and have "nice" wedding photos.
  • tazboy
    tazboy Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    For me it was meeting my birth father after 41 years. He suffers from Diabetes, has had both hips done, knees are shot, and he is a very large man. I started looking at myself in the mirror and decided I didn't want to go down that road myself. My knees are shot already, (football) but I really didn't want to be struck with Diabetes, so I decided to change that for the better.
  • cryptique
    cryptique Posts: 28
    Options
    One of my hobbies is acting, and I was watching the video of one of the shows I was in. I couldn't believe how much bigger I was than everyone else on stage.

That was the moment when I knew I had to do something ... the problem is, that was years ago and I'm still trying. This is the hardest thing I've ever attempted to do.
  • alsatty
    alsatty Posts: 28
    Options
    For me it was not wanting to look at myself in the mirror when I get out of the shower as I have gained more weight. I had gotten to the point of turning around to get dressed so that I did not have to look at myself. And the other, clothes not fitting. I refused to buy larger pant sizes.
  • dsl01
    dsl01 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I expect I'm a bit older than most here, but grandkids (I have 4, all boys) can be strong motivators in their own way, and pictures do speak loudly.
    For years, I had rationalized away my weight gain to age, work, or anything else that seemed to make sense at the time. Subsequently, I went from being a very active, athletic, guy to not so much, and had pretty much accepted it. Then at age 60, a picture of myself sitting with the 2 year old proved to be my absolute no way, hell no, moment. My unflattering, overweight, out of shape, unhealthy appearance coupled with the thoughts of me not being able to participate actively in his or the other boy's lives in the future because of health, or something worse, was a real shocker.

That was 7 months ago. My daughter turned me on to MFP, I'm down almost 60 lbs, and I'm not going to give it up.
  • Wpbarr
    Wpbarr Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I had another one, yesterday. I went flying (Cessna 180) yesterday, first time I have flown a plane in over 25 years and the lap belt barely fit over my fat thighs! Oh hell no, I'm not going to let my fat get in the way of so much fun!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Mine came from seeing a picture last summer that kinda made me think about how much I let myself go. But what really drove the point home was a close friend who got a heart attack, we did a lot of stuff together drinking and eating, so made me realize it could've been me. Also the fact that he was 29 was what made me question that whole being young and I shouldn't worry until later mentality I had.
  • zevduv
    zevduv Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For me, it was at Nordstrom rack. I took a suit there to have fitted and taken out because it was "a little tight". When I bought it a couple years ago it was tailored to me and I would guess I was about a 32-34. The lady had me put the pants on, which I could not button, and, in a thick, russian accent said, "buy a new suit" and walked away from me. I went out on the floor, (yes, I got dressed again first), and got a pair of 34's...then 36's and then 38's. Those were still tight but I could button them. I bought 2 pair and told myself I would wear scrubs and these pants until I fit my old pants again...and came to mfp.
  • wolfjj79
    wolfjj79 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Mine was seeing the big 300 on the scale a few months after I got married. I knew I was big in my wedding photos but that really hit home. I started pseudo-WW soon after, just using the points but no support, and dropped 30lbs in a year. I've kept it off but it's taken almost 7 years to get down to 237, where I am now, because I'm lazy and liked not doing anything. I have no clue why I started in September of this year to focus better, but I thank God that I did. Since then I got on FatSecret, similar to this site but quiet like a library, and when I found MFP I moved here.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I was never the picture taking person. Personally, I hate it actually. My "OH HELL NO" moment was when I was running out of breath climbing up to my first story apartment. Now after much work I am able to climb 7 story buildings back and forth 3 times in a row and am very happy
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,920 Member
    Options
    I've been over 200 lbs for most of my adult life. I did bodybuilding when I was in my late teens/early twenties but then life and career got in the way. By the time I was 30, fitness was a memory rather than an activity.

The weight accumulated slowly at first. A couple of years ago, my marriage started to fall apart, my energy level bottomed and my weight swelled. I went from 240 to 280 in about two years.

My "Oh Hell No" moment was a series of moments, really. I went shopping for pants and I had to go up to size 40 waist... Then I ran into an old buddy who used to be quite heavy... and he looked like he'd lost a significant amount of weight. I asked how he'd done it... and he had bariatric surgery. A few weeks later, I ran into a different buddy who'd also lost weight. He recommended a weight loss clinic.

The clinic is run by an MD and dietician. Their program includes unlimited consults with the MD and dietician, plus nutrition classes and exercise classes. I signed up close to a year ago. My start weight was 283. I've dropped to 248 but I'm currently plateaued.

The older I get, the better I was...
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    My "Oh Hell No" moment came a little differently. After buying an elliptical machine I canceled my YMCA membership, (I was one of their best customers as I paid dues and almost never went). This and joining MFP has helped me "see the light". I work for the US Navy and often climb near vertical ladders with 25 pounds of equipment on my back. That with my 280 pound "frame" I could hardly climb 4 decks without wanting to stop for a heart attack!

Now I have dropped about 9 pounds, use the elliptical machine all I can and feel better than I can remember. I can climb more than double what I could before and have cut out almost all pain meds and suppliments, (glucosamine, chondroiton and MSM).

So my "Oh Hell No" moment is very simple. "Oh Hell No! I ain't going back!!!"
  • KevinS62
    KevinS62 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    240 lbs? Ah geeze!
    20120917.png

I really need to....
    img1260i.jpg

250 lbs? Aw, hell no!
    26854942614020896429718.jpg
  • Stogie40
    Stogie40 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I was in the hospital for Cellulitis about a year and a half ago, they weighed me and I couldn't believe it. I knew I was huge, but this was ridiculous. Then I found out I was borderline diabetic and they were going to put me on pills for it. I started to soul search and realized,I was in denial. I was missing out on doing stuff with my girls. I avoided pictures with them and I didn’t want them looking back and never seeing themselves with me in any pictures.
  • Rockytop_relic
    Rockytop_relic Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It was when I woke up at 2am choking on my own saliva and scared to death, unable to breathe and thinking it was over!
    Finally got back to sleep a couple hours later after sitting on the back deck in the 20 degree weather just to get my breathing in order.
    Got up that Sunday morning and announced I was changing my life. Thanks to MFP and y'all it has gone great so far.