Pills and PCOS

Options
Hi all,

Sorry a quick question.

I was diagnosed with PCOS about a year and a half ago and have been trying to lose weight with it and finding it hard due to bleeding and bloating around 3-4 times (lasting up to a week) a month.

I thought my body was back to normal as I was having a more regular cycle and only 1 bleed a month but the last 2-3 months I've been really suffering from bloating and really bad side effects and bleedings.

Has anyone else who have been like this gone onto a pill/"the" pill to help with this?

I thought I could cope with it but it's starting to wear my body down and it also means I'm constantly wanting comfort food to help the bloating and finding it EVEN harder to lose the weight that I struggle to lose anyways!!

Any help is appreciated.

I'm seeing the doctor on 26th July to discuss it all but I like to hear from people who suffer the same as myself (the doctor doesn't have it so won't have a full understanding how straining it can be on the body and mind!)

Replies

• ZebraBri
    ZebraBri Posts: 60
    Options
    HEY!

When I was diagnosed, I had two main options from my doctor: birth control, or metformin.
    I had heard that birth control tends to make people gain weight, so I said no.
    I took metformin. I still do (whenever I have my prescription filled...bad me), and supposedly it helps with weight loss too. I was diagnosed when I was 90 pounds heavier, so naturally I said "yes! any pill that helps me lose weight!"
    But the again, I was irregular and needing a period. You bleed a couple times a month. So I'm not sure if metformin helps just make you regular in general (one period a month) or not.

But anyway, much support coming your way! :) Let us know how the appointment went!
  • yvo2002
    yvo2002 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am on the pill and I find it helps with period cramps. I used to get my period irregularly and with lots of cramps, but the pill seems to help against that. I started taking the pill when I was 12 (prescribed due to PCOS) but I didn't put on weight when I started taking it. The only problem I have now is that I get major headaches when I go on the 1 week break, but that's still more bearable than the cramps. My cramps used to be extremely bad, but no I don't have any problem with them anymore.
    I was also put on Metformin a while ago, but it didn't really seem to do to anything for me, so I stopped taking it.
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I started on the pill because I was only getting my period 2 times a year. It has helped regulate everything, and the pain I do experience is "normal" now compared to before where it really hurt. I've also been on BC for about 3 years and it has made my period lighter. I only get mine for about 3 days.
    Yes weight gain can be an issue, it depends on the type of BC... there are LOTS of different types that all focus on different hormones. I take one that is higher in estrogen since PCOS tends to depress that and increase testosterone.
    I went from having a B cup to a D cup... in about 5 months. I also developed a little bit of hips. However, I think "weight gain" as in belly fat or leg or arm fat isn't going to develop as long as YOU keep working out and keep your body under control and hormones will just do what they do. ;)